Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Thank you for the link to the shirt company Geocruiser. That is what I visualized the shirt to be. I wish I lived in the States. . . would love some of those dresses for our up-coming relocation cruise! Have to start and finish the wedding present for best friends daughter's wedding this fall and then do some sewing of garments. . . may have to stop working to get it all done ;)

Have a great week everyone! Sue

Can EBay ship to Canada. This thread has a lot of inexpensive dresses.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034598

I decided to attempt to refashion a thrift store buy yesterday and I think it came out pretty well. I bought this dress for $8 on Saturday. It still had the original tags on it and it is a Royal Hawaiin dress. My bet is someone bought this on vacation in Hawaii in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

Before...yikes :eek:

photo1_zpsb3d28784.jpg

After taking it in and removing the sleeves...

After_zps8ae9ffea.jpg

I don't have a dress form, so I did have to pin it twice to get the right fit.

Lisa

I decided to attempt to refashion a thrift store buy yesterday and I think it came out pretty well. I bought this dress for $8 on Saturday. It still had the original tags on it and it is a Royal Hawaiin dress. My bet is someone bought this on vacation in Hawaii in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

photo1_zpsb3d28784.jpg

After_zps8ae9ffea.jpg

Lisa

I just love it. I was wondering if you had a dress form. I keep thinking of getting one. Thank you for posting your refashion here too! I can't believe you got it done so fast. Are you going to do any more?

Edited by geocruiser

I just love it. I was wondering if you had a dress form. I keep thinking of getting one. Thank you for posting your refashion here too! I can't believe you got it done so fast. Are you going to do any more?

I bought three dresses, so I will be working on the other two soon. I row on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, so I can't refashion today...drats. :)

I am considering buying a dress form. I have been looking on eBay and Craigs List for a used one.

Lisa

I bought three dresses, so I will be working on the other two soon. I row on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, so I can't refashion today...drats. :)

I am considering buying a dress form. I have been looking on eBay and Craigs List for a used one.

Lisa

You might be able to read reviews of dress forms on

http://www.patternreview.com

Can't wait to see your other redo when done.

After_zps8ae9ffea.jpg

Lisa

I love the notch you put in at the sleeve holes! You done good!

I watched the Refashionista on GMA last Friday. She's adorable!

I used to have a dress form, but got rid of it. I found that it took more time with it. Now, I lay something on my kitchen counter, pin it, and try it on inside out to see how it fits. However, I wear my clothes loose fittiing, so we aren't talking tailored and fitted clothes. Over the years I found I have improved my "eye" for how much needs to be taken in.

I just finished all my alterations for my b2b starting this Saturday with my bff. I bought 3 new bras, and I wear soft shoulder pads attached to all my bras (I have sloping shoulders, which were all the rage in the 1800's, but not so much for me now.) Two pair of light grey pads can go under literally every garment. I sew velcro to the bra straps at the shoulders, and the pads have a strip of the other "mating" velcro. I just wash them with the undies and use them on all my bras.

Anyway, did that, and cut off a long nightgown to make a sleep shirt that's cooler. I also altered 3 new blouses I got for 50% plus 10% off at Catherines. I have narrow as well as slopy shoulders, so all my tops have to be taken in with a seam down the back. I can adjust the the width of the seam to match with my smaller and bigger body parts as it goes down.

I also cut off an extra pair of white long pants to make nice capris.

Packed and ready to go.

Edited by pcur

Lisa

I love this!!! You did an Awesome Job!

Maybe you should have a fashion upcycle/redo blog!!

Thanks for sharing this site. They're prices re great so I ordered some switches too.

My GirlCharlee swatches came over the weekend. I was very very pleased with the quality. Now to decide what and how much to order!

I love the notch you put in at the sleeve holes! You done good!

I watched the Refashionista on GMA last Friday. She's adorable!

I used to have a dress form, but got rid of it. I found that it took more time with it. Now, I lay something on my kitchen counter, pin it, and try it on inside out to see how it fits. However, I wear my clothes loose fittiing, so we aren't talking tailored and fitted clothes. Over the years I found I have improved my "eye" for how much needs to be taken in.

I just finished all my alterations for my b2b starting this Saturday with my bff. I bought 3 new bras, and I wear soft shoulder pads attached to all my bras (I have sloping shoulders, which were all the rage in the 1800's, but not so much for me now.) Two pair of light grey pads can go under literally every garment. I sew velcro to the bra straps at the shoulders, and the pads have a strip of the other "mating" velcro. I just wash them with the undies and use them on all my bras.

Anyway, did that, and cut off a long nightgown to make a sleep shirt that's cooler. I also altered 3 new blouses I got for 50% plus 10% off at Catherines. I have narrow as well as slopy shoulders, so all my tops have to be taken in with a seam down the back. I can adjust the the width of the seam to match with my smaller and bigger body parts as it goes down.

I also cut off an extra pair of white long pants to make nice capris.

Packed and ready to go.

Wow, sounds like you have it down on alterations. I could alter great back when I was in junior high and high school. Just look at it and whirrrr away as fashionista says. Got lazy and out of practice.

Now I really would like a form to pin stuff on. The pinning, try on and repining is frustrating for me now. I wear out before I finish the alteration.

I went to elastic waist items, empire seams on dresses - just cause it's easier with my weight going up and down. I do keep a 4 inch band of elastic I pull on and hold my pants up with when my weight goes down.

I am straight down - no hour glass to me. So my stuff falls down at the waist part.

Oh and Great job on packing for your b2b.

redheadtexan - nice job.

I have been looking at adjustable singer forms on ebay and amazon. There was one with an icky title and had no bids yesterday. So at 1 day left at 21.99 and shipping 29.99 ish.

I forgot to increase my bid this morning! I was so mad at myself. Think it sold for like 24.22 after 3 bids. Brand new. Seller didn't have it labeled as a singer or have a picture of it standing together.

Edited by tbbtravels

Redheadtexan, That is fantastic! Well done! It's super cute now.

I made myself a dress form using the method this gal did. http://sewnotwork.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/do-it-yourself-custom-dress-form/

It was a lot of work, but resulted in a perfect duplicate of me! I originally bought a Dritz "dial" type form, but I could never get it dialed to my measurements exactly. I'm really happy that I took the time to make mine, but it did take a LOT of time. When I made it, you could buy a kit that included everything you'd need except the foam, but they're no longer in business. Now I guess you'd have to source it all. A lot of people find that if you're going to buy a form, getting one a bit smaller than yourself allows you to pad it out so it it has your own contours. There's also the old duct tape double. If you google it there are plenty of tutorials.

Even though I have the form I still have to do fitting on my body, because a rigid form doesn't have the same give that flesh does. ;)

Wow msjeckyl

Had no idea we could make one. Love it. Wonder if I could find someone to help me make it?

I was gonna by my form smaller and add a bra and some main body padding to make it non waisted copy of me.

The custom one sounds way better.

Edited by tbbtravels

Ok, so I found a dress that my mom calls Mrs. Doubtfire for $5.99 at Goodwill. I love the pattern, colors, and that it's silk. I did not realize when I bought it that it had pockets...what a nice bonus.

Before:

10556329_10204037289843426_8007560786091020754_n_zps770a6c9b.jpg

After I removed the sleeves, collar, made it a v-neck, and took 4 inches off the length:

10411124_10204049943719765_7746769525319971280_n_zpsa97ecbdc.jpg

Lisa

Ok, so I found a dress that my mom calls Mrs. Doubtfire for $5.99 at Goodwill. I love the pattern, colors, and that it's silk. I did not realize when I bought it that it had pockets...what a nice bonus.

Before:

10556329_10204037289843426_8007560786091020754_n_zps770a6c9b.jpg

After I removed the sleeves, collar, made it a v-neck, and took 4 inches off the length:

10411124_10204049943719765_7746769525319971280_n_zpsa97ecbdc.jpg

Lisa

Lisa,

You made this dress go from Mrs. Doubtfire to WOW!

Thanks so much for posting it on the sewing thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent nearly three hours and close to $400 at Mood Fabric. I could have spent a ton more, but I love my DH and didn't want him to divorce me because I spent too much.

I got enough for five dresses, a skating skirt, and skating leggings. 18.75 yards worth. The most expensive/yard was a cotton-knit Just Cavilli print. Now to embark on washing/cutting/sewing/fitting/wearing!

I spent nearly three hours and close to $400 at Mood Fabric. I could have spent a ton more, but I love my DH and didn't want him to divorce me because I spent too much.

I got enough for five dresses, a skating skirt, and skating leggings. 18.75 yards worth. The most expensive/yard was a cotton-knit Just Cavilli print. Now to embark on washing/cutting/sewing/fitting/wearing!

Can't wait to see the fabrics and what you make out of them.