Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

So, I've talked about my "finds" on ebay that I alter. Here's my latest little jewel that arrived today. Cost me $19, including shipping. It was incorrectly sewn at the factory, and the raglan sleeves were set so far into the back that it didn't allow for enough in the shoulders for the actual size of the garment.

Just so happens I have narrow, slopey shoulders, and a wide bottom. I sew velcro onto the tops of my bra straps, and then have a set each in black and white of shoulder pads I bought at JoAnne's. They are sized down to fit my shoulders and add a little extra. My clothes look better with shoulder pads, and it makes my body look better proportioned.

I matched this darling jacket with my tank/pants in chocolate brown slinky material, and my "fashion" pearls (fashion is synonymous with "fake"). A great outfit for smart casual dining, or specialty restaurants. I hope this picture isn't sideways:

733981761_Floweredjacket.jpg.2e5011862223f0393f9f6bef3a11f5f2.jpg

Problem solved. I used a ruler and connected the seam for my size. Now that I did it , I say how easy was that! too bad it took me a week!!!:eek:

I finally got my pattern pieces out this afternoon, lined up the circles, and it seemed to match up.

Geo, what kind of fabric are you using? Now that I've looked at the pattern, I'm ready to sew it too.

So, I've talked about my "finds" on ebay that I alter. Here's my latest little jewel that arrived today. Cost me $19, including shipping. It was incorrectly sewn at the factory, and the raglan sleeves were set so far into the back that it didn't allow for enough in the shoulders for the actual size of the garment.

Just so happens I have narrow, slopey shoulders, and a wide bottom. I sew velcro onto the tops of my bra straps, and then have a set each in black and white of shoulder pads I bought at JoAnne's. They are sized down to fit my shoulders and add a little extra. My clothes look better with shoulder pads, and it makes my body look better proportioned.

I matched this darling jacket with my tank/pants in chocolate brown slinky material, and my "fashion" pearls (fashion is synonymous with "fake"). A great outfit for smart casual dining, or specialty restaurants. I hope this picture isn't sideways:

Very soft and pretty jacket. I love the colors.

I finally got my pattern pieces out this afternoon, lined up the circles, and it seemed to match up.

Geo, what kind of fabric are you using? Now that I've looked at the pattern, I'm ready to sew it too.

What sent me for a loop with the pattern was I did match up the circles. But the top of the pants can be made into shorts and the seam/size lines did not meet up with the bottom half of the pants. Until I took a ruler and laid it down on the size 18 (from 7 to 7A). That is when I saw that it matched up. Then I drew lines connecting each size! I can't believe that I didn't see this or that at Joann's they did not see it either.

As for the fabric, I have a blue and green tropical print fabric. It is light weight cotton type. I had it in my box of fabrics. It is sheer but not see through.

Right now I cut another pair of pants out. So, I will sew them first and then start 6968! There is a lot of ease of fit in this pattern so I will make one size smaller.

What sent me for a loop with the pattern was I did match up the circles. But the top of the pants can be made into shorts and the seam/size lines did not meet up with the bottom half of the pants. Until I took a ruler and laid it down on the size 18 (from 7 to 7A). That is when I saw that it matched up. Then I drew lines connecting each size! I can't believe that I didn't see this or that at Joann's they did not see it either.

As for the fabric, I have a blue and green tropical print fabric. It is light weight cotton type. I had it in my box of fabrics. It is sheer but not see through.

Right now I cut another pair of pants out. So, I will sew them first and then start 6968! There is a lot of ease of fit in this pattern so I will make one size smaller.

Your fabric sounds perfect for hot and humid climates. I know those patterns can be confusing with multiple sizes and multiple styles.

Your fabric sounds perfect for hot and humid climates. I know those patterns can be confusing with multiple sizes and multiple styles.

What it was it that the hem for the shorts was not marked with the sizes. As you can see from the pattern it the bottom of the shorts flares out to a point. There is where I lost it. When I lined up the dots the seam line did not match up until I line them up with a ruler. I need sewing lessons :confused:!! Real bad.

Without looking at the pattern, I'm guessing that the flare you're seeing at the bottom of the shorts has to do with hemming the shorts. When you turn the hem into the shorts to sew you need that extra width so the hem doesn't pucker. Hope that makes sense.

Without looking at the pattern, I'm guessing that the flare you're seeing at the bottom of the shorts has to do with hemming the shorts. When you turn the hem into the shorts to sew you need that extra width so the hem doesn't pucker. Hope that makes sense.

That is right. But the line to connect the leg of the pants was below that hem. So you had to use your brain (which I lost) to see to keep the hem and connect the seam lines from above to below where the rest of the pant's leg was.

I did take pictures of it and will post next week.. I still don't know how to use this windows 8 computer. But I will post it. Patterns get me mixed up:confused:

Glad you got it to work out. Every problem is a learning experience! I've been sewing for 45 years and I'm still encountering new problems/learning experiences.

I'm not too terribly surprised that the staff at Joann's weren't able to help you. I don't think many of the staff members I've encountered really know how to sew.

13 days till my next cruise. Leaving here early to get a couple of days in Rome. Frantically sewing. My darling husband thought a white linen blazer would be nice...I'm using a BurdaStyle pattern ordered on line, printed off the computer (assemble pattern pieces). After three days of looking at all the pieces on the dining room table, I finally started sewing yesterday. The instructions have NO PICTURES. It's a good thing I have experience making jackets, not recommended method for beginners, just in case anyone was thinking of doing something like this.

The upside? I'm getting my darling husband out of sports team sweatshirts! A worthy improvement.

And yes, I recognize the above project puts me squarely into the "what was she thinking/drinking/smoking????" Category.

I was thrilled to stumble onto this thread. I could have been a charter member of the "crazy sewing before a cruise" club.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you got it to work out. Every problem is a learning experience! I've been sewing for 45 years and I'm still encountering new problems/learning experiences.

I'm not too terribly surprised that the staff at Joann's weren't able to help you. I don't think many of the staff members I've encountered really know how to sew.

13 days till my next cruise. Leaving here early to get a couple of days in Rome. Frantically sewing. My darling husband thought a white linen blazer would be nice...I'm using a BurdaStyle pattern ordered on line, printed off the computer (assemble pattern pieces). After three days of looking at all the pieces on the dining room table, I finally started sewing yesterday. The instructions have NO PICTURES. It's a good thing I have experience making jackets, not recommended method for beginners, just in case anyone was thinking of doing something like this.

The upside? I'm getting my darling husband out of sports team sweatshirts! A worthy improvement.

Oh my, I could never put all those patter pieces together. You are a very good sewer. I still stick to easier garments. I really like a lot of the Burda patterns. What have you made for your self to wear on the cruise?

Rome is beautiful. We spent a month about an hour outside of Rome a few years back. We enjoyed Rome a lot. Just watch out for the pick-pockets. They even have children doing it.

Edited by geocruiser

And yes, I recognize the above project puts me squarely into the "what was she thinking/drinking/smoking????" Category.

I was thrilled to stumble onto this thread. I could have been a charter member of the "crazy sewing before a cruise" club.

Welcome to this thread. Sewing can be such fun and it is nice to be able to have different clothes that you don't find in your local dept. store. We would love to see your finish sewing projects. May be after you get back from you cruise you could post a picture. I am still try to learn windows 8 and have not down load any pictures into my computer yet. When I learn how to, I will post some pictures.

I am currently living in Vienna, Austria, so am sewing for European traveling, not so much Caribbean. More tailored looks. I've made a skirt, cropped slacks, jacket/shirt, dressier sleeveless blouse and some t-shirt tops for this upcoming cruise around Greece. I also made a formal dress that turned out to be a disappointment, so will dig deeper into the closet for the formal wear. I'm bringing some dresses I've made for previous cruises.

The last time we were in Rome was early December. I'm sure the pickpockets are worse during the warmer months. Thanks for the warning, especially about the "little darlings". The last year living and traveling around Europe has taught me to be more vigilant.

But, oh has it been fun. We are loving life!

I'd be staring at the pieces on the table, too. I'd be trying to work up the courage to even start! I guess I would approach it as, "OK, I can do sleeves, and I can do pockets, and I can do facings and collars, and I can do hems. So, I gues I can do this, too!"

Is it lined? That's like making two jackets. The hemming around the edges and inside-out stuff would drive me crazy!

It's definitely a different type of experience for the pattern instructions.[ATTACH]323173[/ATTACH]

Did you print the pattern off the internet? Then tape them together. How many pieces were there?

There were twelve pattern pieces that printed on 35 sheets of paper. One of the quirks/problems with Burda patterns is that they don't include the seam allowance on the pattern pieces. Once I added that and the hems, I needed to make new tissue pattern pieces because there wasn't enough space between pieces to just cut them out of the computer pages.

The linen fabric is very cooperative, which is a good thing because the pattern instructions assume I'm very proficient. Which I am, but I still put the collar stand (a wedge shaped piece) on upside down the first try.

I'm living in Europe, so can't get the American patterns reasonably. Burda didn't have this particular style jacket on the rack, so that's why I ordered on line. It was an experiment, the biggest cost has been my time. Here's a photo of the jacket progress, so far. I wish it had called for more interfacing in the fronts and we had to add the lining for the back.ImageUploadedByForums1409032357.987739.jpg.97cbcbd7e0bde01ff9728a08efc0575a.jpg

Has anyone made a hat? I want a wiiiiide brimmed hat for my next cruise and found a pattern.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6664-products-29606.php?page_id=104

I'm thinking view C rather than D. I like D, but it seems a bit more ?formal? than I think I want. Suggested fabrics are wool or gabardine, but do y'all think any structured fabric of the same weight would work? :confused:

My delicate red-head skin thanks you in advance.

There were twelve pattern pieces that printed on 35 sheets of paper. One of the quirks/problems with Burda patterns is that they don't include the seam allowance on the pattern pieces. Once I added that and the hems, I needed to make new tissue pattern pieces because there wasn't enough space between pieces to just cut them out of the computer pages.

The linen fabric is very cooperative, which is a good thing because the pattern instructions assume I'm very proficient. Which I am, but I still put the collar stand (a wedge shaped piece) on upside down the first try.

I'm living in Europe, so can't get the American patterns reasonably. Burda didn't have this particular style jacket on the rack, so that's why I ordered on line. It was an experiment, the biggest cost has been my time. Here's a photo of the jacket progress, so far. I wish it had called for more interfacing in the fronts and we had to add the lining for the back.[ATTACH]323242[/ATTACH]

Sounds like a lot of work, but your results so far look great. You are a very good sewer. I would not know where to start with the pattern. Thanks for the photo. Can't wait to see the finish jacket.

Has anyone made a hat? I want a wiiiiide brimmed hat for my next cruise and found a pattern.

I'm thinking view C rather than D. I like D, but it seems a bit more ?formal? than I think I want. Suggested fabrics are wool or gabardine, but do y'all think any structured fabric of the same weight would work? :confused:

The hat pattern looks nice. I have never made a hat. What kind (if any) interfacing do you use to make it? What kind of fabric do you plan to make it out of?

Hats are fun! Any fabric of similar weight would work. For hats that I want to hold a structure (like a Mad Hatter's top hat that I made for my son-in-law), I use buckram between the layers of fabric. (Not suitable for a hat that you intend to put in the washing machine.)

Hats are fun! Any fabric of similar weight would work. For hats that I want to hold a structure (like a Mad Hatter's top hat that I made for my son-in-law), I use buckram between the layers of fabric. (Not suitable for a hat that you intend to put in the washing machine.)

This one calls for horse hair. I'm not even sure where to find it. I must consult with my seamstress friend. I think I'll look for a lighter toned fabric to reflect the sun.

DH models the new jacket. Like so many projects, I see what should have been better. But, it's done and I can reward myself with something fun for myself.[ATTACH]323454[/ATTACH]

Jacket looks great. That is a lot of work, but it was worth it. I know that he will enjoy wearing it. Thanks for posting the picture.