Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Still working on my cruise pants. Just need the time to sew. The fabric is full of palm trees. Joann's Fabric had a good sale with their notions wall (with coupon) 50% off. I got a few things which I can use. Pattern were on sale too. Vogue ($3.99) & McCalls ($1.99 I think)

I have a question. When I sew I make a mess. The sewing room/office looks like it threw up. The room looks like it has noro virus!! I am trying to be neater with my sewing stuff. but it is hard. So my question is do you make a mess while sewing?

Geocruiser,

The palm tree fabric is great!

I make a mess when I sew & craft, and especially when I cook.

Usually the messier it is, the better the food or the project.

Messy = enjoyment.

Until I have to clean :D

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

I have a question. When I sew I make a mess. The sewing room/office looks like it threw up. The room looks like it has noro virus!! I am trying to be neater with my sewing stuff. but it is hard. So my question is do you make a mess while sewing?

We ALL make messes when we sew! I do all mine in my kitchen with the sewing machine set up on the eating table. I keep the box next to the table on the floor, so I can just dump it in there.

I cut fabric on the island counter in the middle of the kitchen, and with tile floors, I don't have "lint and thread throw-up" on my carpets.

Then, I keep the trash compacter drawer open the whole time, and I have a wastebasket right next to my chair. I've learned to position it so it's a short arm's reach to just drop stuff in there without looking.

I also keep my thread and notion box on a chair next to me, and FORCE myself to put stuff back in there as I use it.

Having my sewing area out in the open and in the center of the house is good incentive to keep it cleaned up. I used to have sewing rooms in other houses, and they were always a mess. Visibility is a great motivator!!

Edited by pcur

I ran by JoAnn's today to pick up a pattern (that wasn't in stock) and picked up a sample fabric for the hat I want to try to make. It was a lightweight home decor, navy blue with gold-ish stars. I was thinking of doing the underside in a fabric to match the stars rather than the dark blue. Thoughts? Does it seem like a lighter color fabric would be better for the underside of the brim?

I ran by JoAnn's today to pick up a pattern (that wasn't in stock) and picked up a sample fabric for the hat I want to try to make. It was a lightweight home decor, navy blue with gold-ish stars. I was thinking of doing the underside in a fabric to match the stars rather than the dark blue. Thoughts? Does it seem like a lighter color fabric would be better for the underside of the brim?

Siunds good to me. The lighter color won't absorb as much heat, too.

You could put a color that you wear a lot under the brim. Or you could go bold with maybe red? What about a companion fabric? Do they have one at Joann's?

You could put a color that you wear a lot under the brim. Or you could go bold with maybe red? What about a companion fabric? Do they have one at Joann's?

I didn't see a companion fabric, but I like the red idea. Maybe I could make two hats and alternate days. I hear it's pretty hot on a Panama Canal cruise.

Took the formal patterns I was considering to my seamstress yesterday. We picked one. I showed the patterns to my DH and he didn't like the one we picked, but did like another one. Looks like I'm getting two new dresses, but one won't be formal.

I didn't see a companion fabric, but I like the red idea. Maybe I could make two hats and alternate days. I hear it's pretty hot on a Panama Canal cruise.

Took the formal patterns I was considering to my seamstress yesterday. We picked one. I showed the patterns to my DH and he didn't like the one we picked, but did like another one. Looks like I'm getting two new dresses, but one won't be formal.

Panama was hot when we there. What brand patters do you use? I jump around and use some of each brand. Of course the easy ones.

I found out today that my great niece want to be a dress designer . She is nine years old. Her mom is going to get her a sewing class in Joann's for her to go to with a friend. Sewing is good for her to have as a hobby. Who knows, maybe she will follow her dream later in life. She is really young to know what she wants. Or maybe she does know. I am going to try to find a girls sewing book for her.

I make a huge mess, but have a sewing room in the States which usually doubles as a guest room so it occasionally gets cleaned. Our apartment in Vienna has a small room that is a dedicated sewing room. Just closing the door is a luxury to be sure.

ImageUploadedByForums1410757307.067519.jpg.7c5b0370328ed2e738bd5ed2addbb564.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Panama was hot when we there. What brand patters do you use? I jump around and use some of each brand. Of course the easy ones.

I found out today that my great niece want to be a dress designer . She is nine years old. Her mom is going to get her a sewing class in Joann's for her to go to with a friend. Sewing is good for her to have as a hobby. Who knows, maybe she will follow her dream later in life. She is really young to know what she wants. Or maybe she does know. I am going to try to find a girls sewing book for her.

I started sewing around that age, designing dresses for my dolls. It's great that her mom is getting her classes, especially with a sewing buddy. It's a skill she can use for the rest of her life.

Making 2 washable hats id a good idea as fabric hats can get a bit sweaty round the seam where the brim joins the main part of the hat. I have used a bit of removeable towelling there before.

Also green is a good colour for the underside of the brim, I believe it's been used in the services when people are on parade, apparently it supposed to stop them fainting.

Sandy in Spain

What brand patters do you use? I jump around and use some of each brand. Of course the easy ones.

I found out today that my great niece want to be a dress designer . She is nine years old.

I use all the brands, including Kwik Sew and Jalie for ice skating dresses. I like Vogue for my seamstress friend to make. The only one I tried I wound up never finishing because it was waaaay too big. My next formal is a Vogue.

I was even younger when I started sewing. I remember sitting by the kerosene heater when we lived in Florida and hand sewing clothes for my Dawn doll. Not Barbie--Dawn was smalller. We moved away from there when I was 8. I passed sewing on to one DD, but the other has no interest at all.

naxie nee!,

I am glad that I am not the only one who makes a mess. Your little sewing room is great. It is good that you can sew in both homes. I use a room that we also use as a office when I am north. When I am in Fl. I use the second bed room. But it would be nice some day to have a room just for sewing.

t60,

Washable hats sound great. I like the idea of the green under the brim.

PurpleHays,

I use most brand too. Vogue patterns seem harder. But, I use a east Vogue pant patter a lot. Memories of sewing when we were young. They last in our minds. I can remember a small toy sewing machine that did only a change stitch, that I got for Christmas . It really did sew. It was red and white and I love it.

It is too bad that not too many people want to sew today. When I lived in NYC no one want to sew for a hobby. Not one of the people that I knew could sew. Here in upstate NY a lot of people sew. Most of them do quilts. Not me, too many little pieces.

Memories of sewing - when I read the post about Burda patterns, oh did that bring back memories that I had completely forgotten about but they were only about 25 years ago. We lived in London England and in the fashion district there was a store that sold only magazines for the fashion industry including Burda magazines. I bought baby Burda in French! Maternity Burda in German! And many regular Burda in French, English or German. I had no babies at the time and dint read French or German, but I used those to sew many adults clothes, maternity suits for work, and many baby, toddler and kids clothes from them as the years passed and we started a family back in Canada. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Edited by kluv2cruz

Memories of sewing - when I read the post about Burda patterns, oh did that bring back memories that I had completely forgotten about but they were only about 25 years ago. We lived in London England and in the fashion district there was a store that sold only magazines for the fashion industry including Burda magazines. I bought baby Burda in French! Maternity Burda in German! And many regular Burda in French, English or German. I had no babies at the time and dint read French or German, but I used those to sew many adults clothes, maternity suits for work, and many baby, toddler and kids clothes from them as the years passed and we started a family back in Canada. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I just brought a Burda pattern the other day at Joann's They had them for $2.49. So I found a east top pattern . The lady at the store told me that there is no seam allowances with Burda. But there on the front of the patter it says "all patterns with seam and hem allowances" I guess before it did not include it. Now something makes sense to me that happen over the winter. A friend of mine here daughter- in -law (who is from Italy ) want to sew valance. They ask for my help. When I went there she wanted to cut the pattern out about 1/2 inch larger than the pattern. She never sewed before and I told here where to cut on the line. She kept thinking it was wrong. Now I know why. Since I let Florida she has been sewing, I don't know if she now sees the difference in American patterns with the allowances. I guess she never read the pattern (she can read English very well) I will have to call her and see now if she knows this. She said that she had a friend in Italy who was a dress maker and she never cut on the line. Now it make sense.

geocruiser,

Have you finished the cruise pants yet?

I had emergency surgery on Labor; I'm doing very very good, and am not limited in my activities now. But I'm still trying to take it easy.

It would be a good time to sew. Plus it's too hot and humid to do anything outside!

dancin

geocruiser,

Have you finished the cruise pants yet?

I had emergency surgery on Labor; I'm doing very very good, and am not limited in my activities now. But I'm still trying to take it easy.

It would be a good time to sew. Plus it's too hot and humid to do anything outside!

dancin

Very sorry to hear that you had surgery. I hope that you are feeling better. Take it easy and don't try to do too much. Hot and humid!! We been cool up here. In the 50's in the AM.

Yes. I got them done. Oh wait, I got a vogue pattern pants done. I have yet to start on the pants with a tie front. Now I am working on a bag (fanny pack for lack of a better word) to match it. Will try to post a picture when one.

This might help you pass some time while getting better. If you like bears eating fish. Live from Alaska. Best time to view 11AM to 12PM EST

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Edited by geocruiser

Very sorry to hear that you had surgery. I hope that you are feeling better. Take it easy and don't try to do too much. Hot and humid!! We been cool up here. In the 50's in the AM.

Yes. I got them done. Oh wait, I got a vogue pattern pants done. I have yet to start on the pants with a tie front. Now I am working on a bag (fanny pack for lack of a better word) to match it. Will try to post a picture when one.

This might help you pass some time while getting better. If you like bears eating fish. Live from Alaska. Best time to view 11AM to 12PM EST

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Make that from noon to mid night for viewing.

I watched the bear cam tonight. Pretty neat!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

I think it is too. You just don't get the cam when it is night in Alaska.

I have been sewing on one of my older machines. My new machine has a little smell to it -like a new machine smell. So Viking has it. The girls are running it at the store and checking it out. I know them all very well. Not worried about it. It has a great up graded policy on it. I could drop it in a tub of water and they would replace it.

I sew for a living doing bridal and such. I noticed that one person didn't like fabric.com. However, I have found them to be very good. I also decorate vintage camping trailers and do personalized themed quilts and have bought from them and been very happy with the fabric I have received. Using a fabric called creped (sorry spelling) back satin makes for a nice formal dress. It comes in many colors and is easy to sew on and hangs beautifully. Also, you can use a silk sari fabric. A sari piece is about 5 yards. You can purchase them off of e-bay for about 15-20$ a piece. They are colorful and beautiful with many times tons of embroidery. Great value. Have a great cruise. Happy sewing.

Can you share your experience of working with a seamstress? Where do you find a good one? How much do they usually charge? For our last cruise I tried to find someone to sew a formal dress for me but didn't have any luck. I like to sew - but I don't feel confident enough to tackle a formal. I ended up ordering something "semi-custom" from Etsy but I'd rather find someone local. Any tips?

I haven't checked in here for awhile so I am catching up on reading the posts. The post about Burda patterns made me want to mention - does anyone subscribe to their magazine? I just got my first issue a few weeks ago and I am in love with it! For the price ($30 a year I think) you get 4 issues with over 50 patterns in each issue! And there are some really cute patterns. Anyway, I bought the same issue at the store just a few days before mine came in the mail because I didn't think my subscription would start so quickly. I have two copies of the Summer 2014 issue if anyone would like it. If you're interested in subscribing and want to see what it's like first, just let me know and I'll send it out. This issue has some awesome cruise-worthy patterns!

Here's a pic of the patterns that are included

image_zps001abfd0.jpg

Now, one more post from me to update on my sewing project... :D