Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I finally got my machine out a couple of weeks ago and am sewing a fleece jacket. It was originally intended for our Alaska cruise, but that was 3 weeks ago ... so you know how that went ;)

I'm using a Vogue pattern that I bought a couple of years ago when the local Hancock's had them on sale for about $3 each. But it's a crazy pattern - way more complicated that it needs to be. The fleece front pieces were cut separately and don't ask me how I did it, but one side was about 2" longer than the other. Ugh. Got it fixed, however, and just have to put in the button holes!

Anyway, I need help fitting and cutting clearly - and interestingly enough in my Amazon Local deals today there is an online "Master Tailor" course. $29! Sharing in case anyone is interested. I signed up. Hope it helps!

http://local.amazon.com/atlanta/B00O3HICB0?src=email&cid=em_dd_303_101_na_s1_&ref_=pe_628140_124736850_md

Edited by JanineM

I finally got my machine out a couple of weeks ago and am sewing a fleece jacket. It was originally intended for our Alaska cruise, but that was 3 weeks ago ... so you know how that went ;)

I'm using a Vogue pattern that I bought a couple of years ago when the local Hancock's had them on sale for about $3 each. But it's a crazy pattern - way more complicated that it needs to be. The fleece front pieces were cut separately and don't ask me how I did it, but one side was about 2" longer than the other. Ugh. Got it fixed, however, and just have to put in the button holes!

Anyway, I need help fitting and cutting clearly - and interestingly enough in my Amazon Local deals today there is an online "Master Tailor" course. $29! Sharing in case anyone is interested. I signed up. Hope it helps!

http://local.amazon.com/atlanta/B00O3HICB0?src=email&cid=em_dd_303_101_na_s1_&ref_=pe_628140_124736850_md

Glad the jacket is all most done. The web site looks great. Have you joined it? I also use this web site

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/insider?source/WX040PPC&gclid=COmdj6HFmcECFWcF7AodJkEAsA

• 2 weeks later...
Glad the jacket is all most done. The web site looks great. Have you joined it? I also use this web site

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/insider?source/WX040PPC&gclid=COmdj6HFmcECFWcF7AodJkEAsA

I did join the website but haven't looked at it yet. I'm planning to this weekend - before I start sewing anything else.

The jacket turned out well. First time I had made buttonholes on my new machine and was thrilled with how easy they were to make! My buttonholes usually were the telltale sign of 'home made'.

I did join the website but haven't looked at it yet. I'm planning to this weekend - before I start sewing anything else.

The jacket turned out well. First time I had made buttonholes on my new machine and was thrilled with how easy they were to make! My buttonholes usually were the telltale sign of 'home made'.

Good buttonholes make such a difference in a garment. I have only made a few things which I had to make a button hole. I have not tried it on my new machine yet.

The web site has lots of info. I just need time to get there more often.

I also go to http://www.patternreview.com to read about the pattern I want to sew.

I've been using Kwik Sew patterns for about 10 years and it's my experience that they don't go on sale. <...>

SewingPatterns.com offers frequent sales on patterns, including Kwik Sew (last week for $4.99). You can get on their mailing list to be informed of sales (http://sewingpatterns.com/mailing_list_signup.php). (I'm not associated with that site, I just like sales -- and Kwik Sew sales are hard to find!)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a little help from some people with much more sewing experience than me. I have a straw bag that I bought at the straw market in Nassau and was wondering the best way to put some sort of waterproof lining in it. My sewing skills are sadly limited to sewing buttons, and maybe a little hemming. I want to use the bag when I go to the pool or the beach but I don't want to have to worry about things inside getting wet. Any help would be appreciated!!

bettyboop, I have put walmart sacks in my stuff like that before. An hold shower curtain is good too. Plastic can be purchased in the walmart fabric dept - or it use to could be. Different thinknesses too.

Attach it with glue or wide tape unless it's the thicker plastic. The thick stuff can take some stitches with out tearing off.

Edited by tbbtravels

bettyboop, I have put walmart sacks in my stuff like that before. An hold shower curtain is good too. Plastic can be purchased in the walmart fabric dept - or it use to could be. Different thinknesses too.

Attach it with glue or wide tape unless it's the thicker plastic. The thick stuff can take some stitches with out tearing off.

Thanks, I'm embarrassed to say I never thought of just gluing something inside.

Thanks, I'm embarrassed to say I never thought of just gluing something inside.

Betty, E-6000 makes a glue called "fabri-fuse", I would use it for this project. You should be able to find it in Walmart, or just do a search for it online. It is under $5 a tube. It is waterproof, so once you have applied it, you will not have to worry about it letting go if it gets wet.

E 6000 makes great glues, I use the regular multi purpose E 6000 glue that comes in a 3.7 oz tube for darn near everything, china, handles on pots and pans, glass, wood. Once it cures it is there forever. Not even the dishwasher will loosen it.

They also sell it in a 4 pack small travel size tubes. I never travel without it. In the past while on cruises it has glued a wheel housing back on a suitcase, sealed a cracked suitcase and taken care of a shoe sole that came loose.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I'm under 75 days to my next cruise. Think I should get moving on my new formal gown? ;)

Depends on how fast or slow you sew. I would make it so I could look at it a lot! :D

I finally finished all my alterations, and we fly out next Friday. I bought an Eagle Creek long garment sleeve for my 3-piece formal pantsuit and hubby's jacket. Really a nice way to pack them. We'll see how they end up when I unpack them.

I had an unwitnessed fall at the ice rink last week. ER/ICU, staples in the gash. I skate regularly, so this wasn't due to inexperience. I don't remember anything for about four days which is probably a good thing. I am getting bored sitting at home.

I had an unwitnessed fall at the ice rink last week. ER/ICU, staples in the gash. I skate regularly, so this wasn't due to inexperience. I don't remember anything for about four days which is probably a good thing. I am getting bored sitting at home.

Very sorry to hear about your fall. Falls take a lot out of you. It took me a while before I felt better. I had two bleeds under the shull from the fall. Thank God all is healed. But it took time. Take care of your self.

Good time to do some sewing ,if you feel up to it. Feel better.

Got staples out and permission to resume a normal lifestyle. Slowly. And to get a helmet before I go back on ice. Of course, going to the doc's office wore me out enough to need a nap this afternoon. I'm sure I'll also need one tomorrow after I do some running around. Possibly even a fabric store run.

Got staples out and permission to resume a normal lifestyle. Slowly. And to get a helmet before I go back on ice. Of course, going to the doc's office wore me out enough to need a nap this afternoon. I'm sure I'll also need one tomorrow after I do some running around. Possibly even a fabric store run.

Take it easy. It will take time. to feel 100% But a fabric store run sounds good to me.

I am starting to work on a skirt. I hope to have it finished in time for our cruise.

What do you think you will make next?

Edited by geocruiser

I got fabric to make a dress with inserts while I was at Mood Fabric in LA over the summer. It's my goal for the cruise. It's Roberto Cavilli white knit with flowers. My seamstress is going to help me tailor it rather than sewing by the pattern like I have to do.

I didn't get any fabric today, but I did have fun looking.

I got fabric to make a dress with inserts while I was at Mood Fabric in LA over the summer. It's my goal for the cruise. It's Roberto Cavilli white knit with flowers. My seamstress is going to help me tailor it rather than sewing by the pattern like I have to do.

I didn't get any fabric today, but I did have fun looking.

Your fabric sounds beautiful. It is great that you have a seamstress to help you. I enjoy sewing with other people.

I went shopping to day for a white blouse. No luck. I saw one that I liked, made of gauzes. But it was $49. I guess I will be sewing some in the future.

Sounds awesome purplehays.

Well I have less than a week till my next cruise. Had some stress lately and been pigging instead of walking - so all my clothes are tight. Dang elastic waist clothes!

I need to buy my pattern for a golf skort and make it in 2 sizes and in the 2 main colors I wear - navy and black. This same situation bites me in the patooty every time - when my weight goes up and down.

Off to ebay and see if I can find me a pattern. Last time I am gonna be in the shape. So to speak.:D

Edited by tbbtravels

Sounds awesome purplehays.

Well I have less than a week till my next cruise. Had some stress lately and been pigging instead of walking - so all my clothes are tight. Dang elastic waist clothes!

I need to buy my pattern for a golf skort and make it in 2 sizes and in the 2 main colors I wear - navy and black. This same situation bites me in the patooty every time - when my weight goes up and down.

Off to ebay and see if I can find me a pattern. Last time I am gonna be in the shape. So to speak.:D

Instead of making it in 2 sizes, how about putting elastic inside the waistband in the back? That way the "flucuation" is taken care of, but it still looks good when your weight is down.

Edited by pcur

Instead of making it in 2 sizes, how about putting elastic inside the waistband in the back? That way the "flucuation" is taken care of, but it still looks good when your weight is down.

Thanks,

That's what I am gonna do. Been looking at actual items on ebay. They were button zip. In my mind I was thinking that I was gonna have to sew that way. Duh, nope. So I am gonna just sew something and add on to the waist and use large width elastic. Just make a cover for the wide elastic and sew it to the top of the band. I have a long torso and no defined waist.

I made a 4 inch wide waist circle wrap a few years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. It holds my pants and skirts up fine and is black so it gives me a few more inches where my shirt and pants meet. Now it's getting a little tight and rolling.

So I am just gonna add inches to a pattern to put that kind of waist on it. I have one elastic waist skort that is faded but I can't dye it cause of the side stripes - I may use it was my pattern if I can't find what I want.

Edited by tbbtravels