Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Just finished in time to start packing. Two pants, vest, three tops and two infinity scarves. Haven't figured out how many different combos yet.

I have been sewing off and on for many years. In the past I used to plan and sew almost an entire mix and match wardrobe. I have a dedicated sewing room with a sewing machine and serger and a fabric stash like you would not believe.

On some cruises I visit either a quilt shop or fabric store and purchase something that I can bring back and sew. I have brought fabric back from Copenhagen Denmark, Barcelona and Martinique in the past. Also brought back two small quilt projects from Hawaii and Alaska. This next cruise involves a stop in San Francisco so will try and stop in at Britex store in Union Square.

image.jpg.f7122681aa552dc2fb825ab1383bc104.jpg

Just finished in time to start packing. Two pants, vest, three tops and two infinity scarves. Haven't figured out how many different combos yet.

I have been sewing off and on for many years. In the past I used to plan and sew almost an entire mix and match wardrobe. I have a dedicated sewing room with a sewing machine and serger and a fabric stash like you would not believe.

On some cruises I visit either a quilt shop or fabric store and purchase something that I can bring back and sew. I have brought fabric back from Copenhagen Denmark, Barcelona and Martinique in the past. Also brought back two small quilt projects from Hawaii and Alaska. This next cruise involves a stop in San Francisco so will try and stop in at Britex store in Union Square.

The colours you used are wonderful.

(BTW - I'm from Calgary! When I was home last August I took a trip to Olga's Fabric Lane and found some really beautiful fabrics.)

Well, I made a mess of things last night. Before our cruise at Christmas I made a bathing suit that I wore but the top of the bodice just was not quite right (uneven), so on the weekend I ripped the stitches out for that section and restitched.

Still not right.

So I ripped it out again last night, even removing the elastic. Stitched it up again.

Then I decided that I really wasn't happy with the ruching on the back so I figured I could open up that seam and reconfigure the gathers so it is more flattering (ha ha) from the back. Ripped out the stitching AND serged seams, basted, gathered, pinned. Looked better. Basted it. Stitched it with just a straight stitch. Tried it on - it looks better, but still a bit like a diaper. And the darned front piece that originally started all of this will not lie flat! Messed around some more. Stitched the back and started pulling out the basting when I noticed I'd missed sections of fabric in the stitching because there are so many gathers.

I thought about how much I dislike the way the butt looks and the fact that I can't get the elastic at the front to lie flat so I turned it into a wadder and chucked it in the closet. Arggh. Off to Target or Ross today to buy one.

I have fabric ready to go to make another but we leave on Sunday so just don't have time. Plus, I think I need a different pattern.

How is everyone else's sewing going?!

Where in Barcelona did you shop am there pre and post cruise in May

FYI-- For everyone, Fabric.com is having a fabulous clearance sale right now.

Everything from buttons to zippers to bindings to thread and even every kind of material you can imagine. All for 50%. I just spent way too much. When I can get large embroidery thread spools for less than $3 each I grab them. They had zippers for $.74 each also.

Have fun shopping guys,

Gerry

Hopefully the pictures will show up this time. Need advice on whether you think this material will work for a maxi skirt or not.

Thanks everyone,

Gerry

Sorry, I took the pictures with my phone and can't figure how to transfer to the message. They won't show up when I post thru my I-phone.

Edited by TNGALOHA

I found the material when I redid my craft/sewing room last week. I totally overhauled all of my material and things. I absolutely love how my material is now.f51cd078821fa1b7406542b022710fa4.jpg

Hopefully you can see it

Have a great day sewing,

Gerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bought a bunch of the foam board at the Dollar tree and cut the pieces 8x10 and the larger pieces were 10x16 inches.

The little fat quarters are just folded and that is what is laying down on the bottom.

My scraps are in the blue cloth box that I picked up at Dollar Tree also.

I just Love being able to walk in and see the material and grab it without having to go thru all of the drawers and digging for the ones I wanted.

I saw the idea on Pintrest and decided I would give it a try. It really worked at least for me.

Have a great day sewing today everyone,

Gerry

Sad that Hancocks is closing. They didn't always have the best wailing fabric, but great for notions and inexpensive pieces.

They've just started the sales so no fantastic bargains, but some of the stores had nice new spring linens and bathing suit fabrics so my be worth a trip before the stores are shuttered.

I saw 50-70% off last weekend at Hancock. It's been 6 weeks...

They originally announced the closing of about 1/4 of the stores and were looking for a buyer to save the rest. The whole chain is going out of business as of this Thursday. The store up the road from me was quite nice, but now I'll have to drive miles and miles for even a zipper!

I bought a bunch of the foam board at the Dollar tree and cut the pieces 8x10 and the larger pieces were 10x16 inches.

The little fat quarters are just folded and that is what is laying down on the bottom.

My scraps are in the blue cloth box that I picked up at Dollar Tree also.

I just Love being able to walk in and see the material and grab it without having to go thru all of the drawers and digging for the ones I wanted.

I saw the idea on Pintrest and decided I would give it a try. It really worked at least for me.

Have a great day sewing today everyone,

Gerry

Great job on the sewing room organization! I did something similar for our pantry that I use as my hobby/sewing storage instead. I used boxes from the post office, cut them to size and folded the yardage around them. It took some wrangling of the wider width fabrics, esp muslin that is 100''+ wide.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I took it a step further, and while I was putting the yardage on the makeshift bolts, I measured them out. Cut a small swatch and attached it to other swatches of similar fiber content fabrics. I pinned each swatch to a piece of cardstock and wrote notes on it. How wide, how many yards left, fiber content, etc. Than I hung them on my pinboard in my work room. That way I know what fabric I have and how much of it left. Just remember to update the info on the card each time you use some fabric. It's really helpful so you know how much you have so you can use it for a project or not. Also helps me to know which I have only small remnants left that I can use for trim or whatever.

Also I laid down a long piece of masking tape on the edge of my table and marked out the inches up to a yard, and marked out 1/4", 1/2" 1/3" etc yard too, just like how they have at the fabric stores.

Edited by whataboutport

What a great idea whataboutport! I really like that. It would definitely be helpful to know the amounts in yards and the fiber content.

I see you are from Vegas. We were just in your neck of the woods this past Fri. and Sat. We went to Laughlin for the weekend and returned home today. We have to go back there tomorrow as my husband left his electric cord to his CPAP machine at the hotel. So rather than drive back up there today and then drive back home (7 hours rt) we decided to go back in the morning.

I made a cord carrier for my daughters family and I made one for me. I guess I need to make a little bigger one for Tom so that he can put it with his machine and he will be able to put everything in the pouch and know when he has it all.. I will try to post a picture of the carrier. It will follow this post since I have the picture on my phone and not the computer.

Hope everyone has a great evening and great sewing next week,

Gerry

• 1 month later...

6b06a46c0715163a9d5ebd1c4d9f7b49.jpg

Finally finished my patchwork pants. They are wide leg so that they look like a maxi skirt. They were made with 64 four inch squares all pieced together.

6b06a46c0715163a9d5ebd1c4d9f7b49.jpg

Finally finished my patchwork pants. They are wide leg so that they look like a maxi skirt. They were made with 64 four inch squares all pieced together.

They are beautiful. I love the print. I can't tell that they are patchwork, you matched the flowers perfectly.

Just going through my fabric and patterns and wanting to make so many things. It just is so hard to find the time. I was looking on http://www.patternreview.com yesterday to spur me on to sew. I did find a thread that talked about the 30 minute sew time. It said just try to get in 30 minutes a day or a couple of times in a week, or what ever you can. It might work for me. I seem to have a all or nothing sew plan in my head. That I have to have at least a half a day for it or I do nothing. So, I am going to try the 30 minute plan.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/95697