Montreal help.

Just booked a Cruise out of Montreal...our second cruise ever!

We are arriving into Montreal around 7pm on a Thursday and will be boarding the ship on Saturday. We want to see what we can of Montreal on Friday. I'm guessing that we will take a hop on hop off type of tour, but really haven't looked into that much yet. My main question is, where to stay? Can anyone recommend a hotel for between $100 and $200. that is descent (clean and safe)? Never being to Montreal, I'm really confused as to where it should be located, considering the airport, cruise port, and wanting to see what we can of Montreal. We are NOT seasoned travelers, so all of this is "scrambling my brain". Any help or tips on where to stay/what see would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Lulu :confused:

Take a look at Hotel Nelligan. It is located in Old Montreal very near the port. You could almost wheel your suitcase from the ship there. Many cruisers have found that to be more than satisfactory for a nice stay. It isn't 'cookie cutter' like some of the chain hotels but has more charm and character. We never personally stayed there. We did stop in once when we were seeking a particular location we thought to be nearby. Even though we weren't guests of the hotel, their desk staff was very friendly and gave us directions. :)

I am precluded from suggesting, since I'm an innkeeper, but my suggestion is thins...

Downtown is a business district.

Old Montreal is beautiful to visits and if you want the feeling of being in an Old City, it's great.

The Plateau and Village (short for Gay village, but a very open part of the city) are great if you want to feel like a local.

We just came back from a weekend at the Intercontinental in Old Montreal. I highly recommend staying in that part of Montreal. It's beautiful and has lots of great restaurants. Plus the port is very close, and the area very walkable. The subway system in Montreal is also terrific for getting around.

Not sure what the price would be, perhaps a bit high for you. We had a deal for a wedding, and it was aroundf $200 a night. But this is summer high season, so it might work.

Archived