Passport question: 8 year old

Hi everyone. We are scheduled to take our 3rd cruise in Alaska in September 2013. We will be bringing our 8 year old granddaughter with us and need to know if we will need a passport for her when we go to the Yukon during our stop in Skagway or if minors only need to present a copy of their official birth certificate or the official birth certificate itself? We don't have a problem getting her a passport but would like to know what the requirements are for a minor to enter Canada.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan

Thanks for the link Putterdude. Does anyone know if my granddaughter will need a passport to fly out of Vancouver back to Denver? I know that a birth certificate is sufficient for entering Canada by land or sea but what about leaving Canada by air?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Thanks for the link Putterdude. Does anyone know if my granddaughter will need a passport to fly out of Vancouver back to Denver? I know that a birth certificate is sufficient for entering Canada by land or sea but what about leaving Canada by air?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I was surprised to see that a birth cert. is enough for children under 16.

http://www.GetYouHome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

A passport would be more certain.

Thanks again, Putterdude. I suspected that it was needed for air travel but I hadn't seen it officially until now. Thanks for the links. Passport it is!

I'm guessing that if we decided to travel from Vancouver to Seattle by train or bus to fly home to Denver, then we wouldn't need the passport since our travel between Canada and the U.S. by land requires just the birth certificate for our granddaughter but we are just going to get the passport in case we want to travel with her again (which we plan to).

Dan

Thanks again, Putterdude. I suspected that it was needed for air travel but I hadn't seen it officially until now. Thanks for the links. Passport it is!

I'm guessing that if we decided to travel from Vancouver to Seattle by train or bus to fly home to Denver, then we wouldn't need the passport since our travel between Canada and the U.S. by land requires just the birth certificate for our granddaughter but we are just going to get the passport in case we want to travel with her again (which we plan to).

Dan

I'm sorry Dan, but I believe this is just wrong.

An American can travel into Canada with just photo-ID, no passport. But an American can't get back into the States without a passport. Not sure how that works in the US, but here in Canada, everybody, even new babies need their own passports, or if kids can be included in their parent's passport, then you need that. But if you're a grandparent, the kid will need his or her own passport. But check with the State Department, why don't you?

I'm sorry Dan, but I believe this is just wrong.

An American can travel into Canada with just photo-ID, no passport. But an American can't get back into the States without a passport. Not sure how that works in the US, but here in Canada, everybody, even new babies need their own passports, or if kids can be included in their parent's passport, then you need that. But if you're a grandparent, the kid will need his or her own passport. But check with the State Department, why don't you?

Putterdude has pointed me to the correct information. By land or sea, we need only to have a birth certificate for our granddaughter (along with a notorized form showing we have permission to travel with her out of country). But to fly between the US and Canada, we need a passport. Since we are planning to fly out of Vancouver at the end of our cruise, we are going to get her a passport. Needing a passport has nothing to do with us being her grandparents and has all to do with the fact that we are traveling between the US and Canada by air.

Putterdude has pointed me to the correct information. By land or sea, we need only to have a birth certificate for our granddaughter (along with a notorized form showing we have permission to travel with her out of country). But to fly between the US and Canada, we need a passport. Since we are planning to fly out of Vancouver at the end of our cruise, we are going to get her a passport. Needing a passport has nothing to do with us being her grandparents and has all to do with the fact that we are traveling between the US and Canada by air.

I think a reference was that parents sometimes had the family passports (I don't even know if they are issued still) and since you're a grandparent you couldn't do that. I would just get the passport since you never know about an emergency that could happen and the need to fly.

I agree passport is the way to go you will not have to worry. My DD got a pasport for my 4 yr old GS & we were sailing on a close loop cruise to the caribbean from NY. It is always safe then to be sorry. Letter very important as well.

Archived