Did anyone really enjoy falmouth

elou

We also did the Chukka Beach Break last Dec. We really enjoyed the beach and the lunch.

We found the people that were at the beach location, very respectful of us and you could tell that they wanted to make sure that we had a good time.

They had people there so that the beach vendors would not come and bother us.

We felt very safe and relaxed.

The beach and water was beautiful and there was lots of shade, for very pale skinned people like me.....lol

The beach break came with a little tour around the town of Falmouth, on the way to the beach.

Yes the area is poor, but I didn't really find it rundown and dangerous looking.

The entire time that I was in Falmouth, I really felt that the locals were trying very hard to make the cruisers enjoy themselves.

I'm sure that Royal/Celebrity has given the word to the people there, so that Falmouth won't end up like Ocho Rios.

They certainly don't want to lose the cruise business.

I don't think there is much else that supplies jobs there except tourism.

YEs! Falmouth makes a great "Sea Day"

The views from the ship are beautiful. (lots of open country)We stay on board and enjoy the quite pool and enjoy the less crowed ship! Falmouth is a great port to enjoy the ship!

We also explored the town and went to Club Naz for Jamaican Food---Curried Goat, Jerk Chicken, Oxtail Stew, and Red Stripe Beer. A lot of other cruise passengers found this restaurant and had a good time.

Big Ray

How far is Club Naz from the port? Walking distance?

we wanted to explore the local area by foot .but the need for guards makes me think twice.does anyone have info about the outside of port area.

The town outside the secured pier is very small. I am not sure you would actually need a guard. There really wasn't anything to do in the town (based on the quick tour we took on our excursion).

Later in the afternoon, there seemed to be a few more things going on.

We also did Chukka beach. It was fine, but not as nice as the beaches in St Martin.

We were there last July on the Allure and booked the Falls and bobsled tour through RC. Had a wonderful experience, everyone was very friendly and professional! Wasn't sure what to expect as we had not been to Jamaica in a few years, but we were pleasantly surprised! Don't miss a beautiful island

Okay, I am already nervous about going to Jamaica every time I even think about doing a WC cruise. Now I am reading posts about "guards" and even saw someone's pictures posted that showed guards on the beach. That doesn't help. What is with the guards? Is Jamaica really THAT dangerous?

When you got to the port in Ft Lauderdale,how many armed guards(police custom agents,etc).did you go past before you got on board? They just arm their cops better. We always walk around but we do take off rings and jewerly and carry only what we need as not to entice anyone.Stay on the main streets and around the busy areas.

When you got to the port in Ft Lauderdale,how many armed guards(police custom agents,etc).did you go past before you got on board?.

We went past TWO (that we saw) - One at the gate with the guy who was checking ID before the taxi was allowed into the port - he was sitting in the little booth with gun leaning on the wall. 2nd was with the other officer who had the dog outside the terminal.

We went to Bamboo Beach Club in Ocho Rios. We booked it on their website. We heard there wasn't much to do in Falmouth and didn't want to risk having a bad day. We had a great time at Bamboo Beach Club! In the pier in Falmouth there are shops, but outside of that there isn't really anything at all - it's quite poor looking.

• 4 months later...

One word -- "Spectacular"! Best Caribbean golf course I've played. We had perfect weather and our Caddies were fun and very knowledgeable. Huge elevation changes and the blue tees are a great test.

I shot 79, with three doubles on 10, 11 and 18. Good thing there were some birdies.

High handicaps will need to bring a dozen extra balls minimum; reality bites.

Enjoy!

Kel

PS -- go with the ship's excursion, as it's 25 minutes away from Falmouth. We played pretty fast, but I'm sure it could be very slow for some. We had maybe twenty guys in various groups. Also, our foursome gave the two Caddies $40 each additional tips; $20 per player. (excursion says "tips included")

Next Cruise, (in three weeks) we are going to Hilton's Rose Hall Resort for the day.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Last time we did a excursion with Royal Caribbean, after a catamaran ride and snorkeling, we ended up in Doctor Cave's Beach, which we thought was really nice with calm water and powdery sand. We will be in Falmouth again this December. Kind of worry about going to a beach on own own because of safety concerns. Saw the Chukka Beach with lunch excursion on the RC list. Some folks have mentioned on this thread that they can book it without the lunch while on board of the ship for about $29 each? There are 5 of us and I wonder if we can do better hiring a taxi. But again, nervous about safety concerns. We have always go around on our own or hired local vendors when we cruise, but Falmouth is a bit different. We really enjoyed the Doctor Cave's Beach but don't really want to pay another $85? a person to repeat the same excursion. But wonder if the Chukka is just as nice as Doctor Cave's Beach. We prefer calm water and soft powdery sand. Please share your experience with us about what beach you went to from Falmouth, how you got there, the cost, and whom you hired. Thanks in advance.

We will be in Falmouth on our upcoming cruise in Dec.

Looking forward to dinning at Club Naz---Jerk Chicken, Oxtail Stew, Curried Goat and lots of Red Stripe Beer.

Big Ray

If you go to Club Nazz, try the Akee (berry) and salted sword fish. The Jamaicans kept telling us that it was the dish that Jamaica was known for. I'd never heard of it, but since we got so many recommendations, we tried it and it was different but tasty. Club Nazz is like being in an old Bogart movie. No a/c, low light, lots of locals, but great simple food and the servers were fantastic. We got the Akee and the Jerked Chicken.

We saw a lot of our servers from the ship eating there...can't get much more of a good recommendation than that! :)

Archived