Vanilla What's the best in Cozumel

IvesGrandmama

Could anyone pleae tell me the name of the best brand of vanilla. Would like to get close to the pier. thanks

I got "Los Cinco Soles" natural gourmet vanilla at a large store right at the pier.

Just about everybody here is going to tell you to get Los Cinco Soles. It's one of those things where one person recommends it, so five people get it...then they each recommend it, so another 25 people buy it, etc..

I don't doubt that Los Cinco Soles vanilla is very good. However, right at the pier there are numerous vendors selling excellent vanilla (with no cumarin) for $8 per 33.2oz. bottle. The Los Cinco Soles brand is close to $20 for a smaller bottle.

There is NO WAY the Los Cinco Soles vanilla can possibly be so much better than the other brands that it's worth paying close to 3 times the price.

FYI, the brand I have now is Totonac's. It was purchased in one of the port shops last October. As I stated above, I paid $8 for it.

Here is a link to the product on Amazon.com. I don't recommend ordering from Amazon, however. Apparently the bottles they are selling in the U.S. are NOT the same quality vanilla you will get if you purchase the same brand in Cozumel.

http://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Vanilla-Totonacs-vanilla-extract/dp/B003RM9SA6

Edited by rockbock

If you can get to a Mega Mart, it's even cheaper prices for vanilla.

Where is the Mega Mart located? I was thinking of going to downtown just to be able to shop for vanilla..but thinking I would end up paying more after I pay for taxi just to get there. If I can get it at port for a good price I think I would end up heading out to one the AI beaches for the day.

It is basically a chemical that is banned in the US but used as a additive in Mexico. Cumarin is found in things like cigarette tobacco and has a similarity to an ingredient in rat poison. Here is a definition from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

Make sure you check the bottle and it says "contains no coumarin".

Edited by WNcruiser

Be sure to read the labels carefully and know what you are getting. The less expensive brands *may* have ingredients you don't want.

BTW, I recommend getting Vanilla at Los Cinco Soles because I've purchased and used their product, and because I enjoy the taste and high quality, and not (as some posters allege) because I am jumping on some sort of "bandwagon".

:rolleyes:

I first bought the Los Cinco Soles brand five years ago. I had not read any reviews on brands of vanilla to buy. If another brand is better, I'd like to know about it. That stuff is a must have for my dutch oven peach cobbler. I photographed the board listing the vanilla prices last year. I'll go through my photos and give you and idea of what the prices were. I won't be buying any when I cruise in two weeks, I still have two liters left.

I've gotten so leary of what they are sellilng and calling vanilla, I buy what I want from William Sonoma and don't worry about it.

Through the years we purchased it in the shops near where the ships dock and it seemed fine but I'm uncomfortable buying it now..... not really sure why. :o

It is basically a chemical that is banned in the US but used as a additive in Mexico. Cumarin is found in things like cigarette tobacco and has a similarity to an ingredient in rat poison. Here is a definition from wiki

Good to know! I've never heard of that before.

I've gotten so leary of what they are sellilng and calling vanilla, I buy what I want from William Sonoma and don't worry about it.

Through the years we purchased it in the shops near where the ships dock and it seemed fine but I'm uncomfortable buying it now..... not really sure why. :o

Ditto!:p

No need to go abroad to lug home bottles of good quality vanilla extract.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?words=mexican%20pure%20vanilla%20extract

Does it actually have to say "contains no coumarin" or can it just not list that as an ingriedient?

Karonijo,

Here is some info that I found. I'm thinking this might be the Mega Market but I'm just not sure.

Mega Centro Commercial" - Brand New Superstore on the island! Established: 2008

Near Calle 11 SurHours: Daily

8am - 10pmMega is a new store / mall for all all of your shopping needs from appliances to food to clothing. Wonderful customer service and some organics products!

For the OP I bought D'Lis brand vanilla. I love the rich flavor and smell and done quite well for baking. I bought it back in 2008 so I don't remember the price. I bought it at a drug store from what I remember. I hope to find it again if I go in November. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but cumarin may be an anti-coagulant such as contained in the Rx coumadin.... it is used by patients for whom the rate of blood clotting must be adjusted to lower risk of heart attack and stroke. A serious drug that needs careful medical monitoring.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but cumarin may be an anti-coagulant such as contained in the Rx coumadin.... it is used by patients for whom the rate of blood clotting must be adjusted to lower risk of heart attack and stroke. A serious drug that needs careful medical monitoring.

Are you possibly thinking of Coumadin? My MIL takes this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk