Live from Alaska - July 6th-July 20th!

WalleyeLJ

Well, here we are, just 14 hours or so before we board Radiance of the Seas for our southbound journey. I have to get up in 4 hrs, 41 minutes (what day is it again???) for a fishing trip with my Dad, so I have to be brief!

Sunday, Day 3, 7/8/13: Homer & Katmai!

Well, today is the first big adventure - bear viewing in Katmai National Park. However, before we left the neighborhood where our B&B was located, look who we ran into!

2012Alaska-7494.jpg

A moose cow had recently given birth to twins, and she was seen almost every day inn the neighborhood. Lucky for us, we got to see her as close as 30 feet (from the safety of our car).

Then it was off to Katmai for the bears. It was a fantastic trip, although on my longer version I'll sow just how small our planes were...

Over Katmai coast:

2012Alaska-6553.jpg

The bears...

2012Alaska-6953.jpg

2012Alaska-7130.jpg

2012Alaska-6888.jpg

So your thinking, crazy camera guy with a lens that can get that close from 1/4 mile, right??? Nope! Here's one of our other groups that was between us and a 900-1000# boar!!!

2012Alaska-6839.jpg

All told we saw at least 15 bears in our 3.5 hours or so! To top it all off, when we got back to Homer, blue sky and sunshine greeted us for the first time on the trip!

Well, off to bed. Can't wait to see what's around the bend tomorrow!

L.J.

WOW! Viewing your latest post from the airport, where we are delayed already and we haven't even left on the first leg of our flight. Bears and moose with babies are amazing photos. So close! Weren't you even a little afraid of that big bear so close? What would happen if he charged you?

Spectacular photos as usual. We encountered a momma bear and her cub while walking to Anan Creek and I swear we weren't 10 feet from her. She nosed her cub up a tree and gave us a stare down I'll never forget....cuz I got a picture of it. ;)

Keep 'em coming LJ. Just looking at your pictures takes a few degrees off the sweltering Texas summer heat I'm enduring. :)

Okay...you've most likely been ON the ship for five or ten minutes.......so where are the latest photos? :confused:They're so beautiful that you've set yourself up for NO rest..................just feeding the masses with your notes and photos.;)

Are you tired yet? I know I was ready to get on the ship and relax about now.

Nice photo's, how close were you to the bear?

framer

Great Photo Did you Photoshop the shots together or do you have a superfisheye lens

To the OP what happened to the live part of this review

That was taken with a 105mm f2 DC nikkor, 15 shots. I used CS5 to put it together. The original is printed on canvas and gallery wrapped. 10inches x 137.5 inches.

framer

Did you use a tripod to take these photos? :o

WOW! Viewing your latest post from the airport, where we are delayed already and we haven't even left on the first leg of our flight. Bears and moose with babies are amazing photos. So close! Weren't you even a little afraid of that big bear so close? What would happen if he charged you?

Hey T-Rox,

Well, my live posting concept was TOTALLY DOA! Obviously we're home now, so I'm not "live". Well, I had good intentions. I'm working on photos now. By this weekend I hope to start doing an indepth day by day and make up for this broken thread...

Our guide had magnesium road flares. Said they run like nothing you've ever seen if they light a flare. I hope so, as it was all we had:D!

L.J.

Are you tired yet? I know I was ready to get on the ship and relax about now.

Nice photo's, how close were you to the bear?

framer

We were exhausted:D. We ended up within 75 feet or so of a couple of the bears at Katmai. We watched one male graze while we had lunch as a group, and we could hear him tearing the grass up with his teeth...

L.J.

Well, my live posting concept was TOTALLY DOA! Obviously we're home now, so I'm not "live". Well, I had good intentions. I'm working on photos now. By this weekend I hope to start doing an indepth day by day and make up for this broken thread...

I am looking forward to your photos and review. I wouldn't call this a broken thread, just over ambitious? :o

My apologies to all who were following this thread. I had the best of intentions but failed my goal:(. That said, I will be starting a new review from scratch will more detail and photos, hopefully starting this weeknd, which will run the whole trip - I promise! I'll post the new review link here for anyone who wants to give me another shot;). Here's a sneak peak at the photos from Day 4...

untitled-8254.jpg

untitled-9161.jpg

untitled-9027.jpg

L.J.

Archived