Excursions Waitless on Princess

FunShipCruiser05

So when excursions are booked, I see there is a waitlist. So are the tours the cruise ship sets up through all the local independent operators? Or usually just one operator? I ask because it makes me wonder seeing this waitlist for some excursions, that the locals are going to book up equally as fast as the cruise ship for some excursions.

In each port the cruise line uses one operator. Sometimes the operator is also used in another port or sometimes it is a completely different operator but usually one operator per port. They in turn might utilize other companies for a specific tour almost like outsourcing it out.

The line negotiates for a certain passenger count per excursion. Sometimes if they fill up the allotment they can go back to get an additional amount but it is not always possible to do this.

If unsuccessful, then the wait list clears as others already booked on the tour cancel their reservations.

In each port the cruise line uses one operator. Sometimes the operator is also used in another port or sometimes it is a completely different operator but usually one operator per port. They in turn might utilize other companies for a specific tour almost like outsourcing it out.

The line negotiates for a certain passenger count per excursion. Sometimes if they fill up the allotment they can go back to get an additional amount but it is not always possible to do this.

If unsuccessful, then the wait list clears as others already booked on the tour cancel their reservations.

No this isn't always true. Cruiselines can and do use more than one operator for similar tours. Take a look at the two vendors used for glacier helicopter flights, some cruiselines use a third if they offer glacier trekking. Same for whale watching. some cruiselines still use two in Juneau.

So when excursions are booked, I see there is a waitlist. So are the tours the cruise ship sets up through all the local independent operators? Or usually just one operator? I ask because it makes me wonder seeing this waitlist for some excursions, that the locals are going to book up equally as fast as the cruise ship for some excursions.

Some tour slots are held back for on ship booking. Sometimes they can get extra space and clear waitlists- depends on what space is still available?

No clear answer and unpredictable what "lists" are going to clear.

IF a must do, then it would be to your benefit to get this booked direct and confirmed.

Budget Queen, I could be wrong but my experience is that the line will use one tour operator in a port and then that operator might use multiple vendors such as the example you provided.

As I say I might be wrong but that is how I thought it worked.

Keith

Sometimes if there is enough demand, the cruise line will book an additional time with the oeprator. It happened on our first cruise to Alaska with our snorkeling excursion in Ketchikan. Originally there was just one time listed. Eventually, after a few weeks of being waitlisted, Princess listed a second time available on the Cruise Personalizer.

Another good thing about Princess is that you don't pay for your excursions immediately. Some people book more and then cancel them before the deadline. This frees up slots for people at the last minute.

The best thing to do if there is a waitlist for an excursion you absolutely want to go on is to keep checking the cruise line's website before the cruise--and then with the excursion desk once your on the ship if you weren't successful at booking it beforehand. And have a plan for what you're going to do if turns out to be impossible to take that excursion.

Budget Queen, I could be wrong but my experience is that the line will use one tour operator in a port and then that operator might use multiple vendors such as the example you provided.

As I say I might be wrong but that is how I thought it worked.

Keith

My example of Juneau with the helicopter vendors. Many cruiselines use BOTH ERA and TEMSCO, they are independent of each other, and separate companies, and I can just about be clear, that neither books for the other.

I would not think there is one "overall" booking agent who does all the Alaska tours?? If there were, I would think they would be well known.

I have gotten information from some vendors of dealing direct with a cruiseline in business, and commenting on how much commission it would cost them to be a ship tour.

Archived