Eze on our own from Villefranche port 10am to 8pm

happy_travellers

We were there last week. Villefranche is a nice place to walk around. You can see everything in less than a couple of hours. We also went to Eze, although as part of the ship's tour. Eze was nice but also would not have kept us occupied for more than a few hours.

• 1 month later...

Can you take the bus directly from Villefranche to Eze Village? I prefer smaller towns/villages to wander around in. We are in port 10AM to 8PM. Should be go into Nice to spend some time also and is it difficult to find your way around. Thanks, Janice

Its been a while since we discussed all the options so we are going to give it a shot. There are a few differrent options for using public transit. One possibility that has not been discussed here in a long time is the #82 bus. This starts in Nice and when it gets to Villefranche it runs along the Blvd La Corne d'Or which is a bit of a hike from the tender pier. This bus only runs a few times a day and gets to Villefranche at about 10:15 and then 12:15. It does then eventually get up to Eze Village in about 15-20 min. Another option is the #112 bus that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo (along the Middle Corniche) and stops at Eze Village (this bus also runs about once every 2 hours). For the 112 you would first have to get to Nice (or Monte Carlo). There is also the #83 bus which makes a stop at the Eze sur Mer train station and goes to Eze Village. It gets to the train station at 11:04, 12:09 and 13:15 but of course you would need to get to the Eze sur Mer train station which you can do by taking the train from Villefranche or using the #100 bus. I think that is all the public transit options (if I am wrong somebody will chime in here).

By the way, you can return by reversing the process but you really have to be careful with the schedule. The 82 bus does stop at Eze Village (on the return route) at 12:47, 14:17 and 15:52. The schedules are somewhat different if you there on a Sunday.

I will add an editiorial comment. For some reason we have not talked about the #82 bus here for a very long time. I honestly forgot about that line and nobody else has mentioned it either (not sure why).

Hank

Its been a while since we discussed all the options so we are going to give it a shot. There are a few differrent options for using public transit. One possibility that has not been discussed here in a long time is the #82 bus. This starts in Nice and when it gets to Villefranche it runs along the Blvd La Corne d'Or which is a bit of a hike from the tender pier. This bus only runs a few times a day and gets to Villefranche at about 10:15 and then 12:15. It does then eventually get up to Eze Village in about 15-20 min. Another option is the #112 bus that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo (along the Middle Corniche) and stops at Eze Village (this bus also runs about once every 2 hours). For the 112 you would first have to get to Nice (or Monte Carlo). There is also the #83 bus which makes a stop at the Eze sur Mer train station and goes to Eze Village. It gets to the train station at 11:04, 12:09 and 13:15 but of course you would need to get to the Eze sur Mer train station which you can do by taking the train from Villefranche or using the #100 bus. I think that is all the public transit options (if I am wrong somebody will chime in here).

By the way, you can return by reversing the process but you really have to be careful with the schedule. The 82 bus does stop at Eze Village (on the return route) at 12:47, 14:17 and 15:52. The schedules are somewhat different if you there on a Sunday.

I will add an editiorial comment. For some reason we have not talked about the #82 bus here for a very long time. I honestly forgot about that line and nobody else has mentioned it either (not sure why).

Hank

Hi Hank

I was wondering about taking the train as far as Menton then to Monaco and from Monaco taking the bus to Eze village, any thoughts?

Karen

Hi Hank

I was wondering about taking the train as far as Menton then to Monaco and from Monaco taking the bus to Eze village, any thoughts?

Karen

Yep, it makes no sense unless you have a reason to go to Menton (we have actually stayed in that town). No reason why you cannot do that as long as you have a long port day and can make it work with the 112 bus schedule. And then you need to coordinate with the bus from Eze Village or plan on hiking down the hill to Eze sur Mer.

We assume you have a reason why you want to go to Menton. Its actually a pretty nice coastal city, but not a place we would normally recommend for a port day. When we stayed there it was during an extended driving trip and it worked well for when we were driving up from Italy to Paris. Since we do not like Monte Carlo....we thought Menton was a good alternative for a night and we did enjoy the small city and its walkway along the coast. We also have some Canadian friends that like spending time in Menton.

Hank

Yep, it makes no sense unless you have a reason to go to Menton (we have actually stayed in that town). No reason why you cannot do that as long as you have a long port day and can make it work with the 112 bus schedule. And then you need to coordinate with the bus from Eze Village or plan on hiking down the hill to Eze sur Mer.

We assume you have a reason why you want to go to Menton. Its actually a pretty nice coastal city, but not a place we would normally recommend for a port day. When we stayed there it was during an extended driving trip and it worked well for when we were driving up from Italy to Paris. Since we do not like Monte Carlo....we thought Menton was a good alternative for a night and we did enjoy the small city and its walkway along the coast. We also have some Canadian friends that like spending time in Menton.

Hank

Thats the key. We will be in Monte Carlo next summer and want to go to Eze as well as Cap Ferrat. Trying to get the bus schedule to work was alomost impossible so we are going to rent a car, not my favorite but it is the only way we could make it work.

Thats the key. We will be in Monte Carlo next summer and want to go to Eze as well as Cap Ferrat. Trying to get the bus schedule to work was alomost impossible so we are going to rent a car, not my favorite but it is the only way we could make it work.

Renting a car is our favorite method of transportation in Europe (unless we are planning to stay in a large city). The best way to really explore any area (outside huge cities) is with a car and driving is relatively easy. When coupled with GPS its a pleasure (DW reading a map is a recipie for disaster in our family). We are in the process of planning a 6 week driving trip in Europe and are thinking about not even making an itinerary. We would just follow the "winds" and work with the prevailing weather (you can often drive to good weather in Europe).

Hank

• 1 month later...

Hank

Thanks for this info, and OP, we have similar questions about doing some things in the area on our own.

We were in Villefranche in 2007. We did a morning ship-sponsored excursion to Nice, and then in the afternoon walked around Villefranche poking through the shops at a leisurely pace. It was our favorite port on that cruise - absolutely beautiful port area.

Anyway, we're very interested in going to Eze but are just beginning to look into the logistics. So this post is helpful. Hank, is there a website that lists the bus schedule and fares?

Is there anything in Villefranche?

Thanks Karen

We were in Villefranche last week. Since we had spent our Easter vacation in Cap d'Ail and explored the whole area by car back then, we decided to stay put in Villefranche and found it surprisingly nice.

The first highlight was to come in by tender boat, which gave us a fantastic view of the bay, the MSC Orchestra as well as of an RCI ship that was anchored between us and the cruise terminal.

We then took a tour with the tourist train to get a sense for what was there, wlked up to the fort and looked at the little museum and spent the rest of the time in Villefranche itself.

We had only about four hours there and needed to build in a little buffer time, we were easily able to fill that time in Villefranche itself. Since you have more time available, I would recommend looking at some of the other great places in the area. Nice itself is also really worth visiting.

In case you want to also build in buffer time and for the last hour or so of your stay would like to do something in walking distance of the cruise terminal, Villefranche itself will certainly give you some options.

Thanks for this info, and OP, we have similar questions about doing some things in the area on our own.

We were in Villefranche in 2007. We did a morning ship-sponsored excursion to Nice, and then in the afternoon walked around Villefranche poking through the shops at a leisurely pace. It was our favorite port on that cruise - absolutely beautiful port area.

Anyway, we're very interested in going to Eze but are just beginning to look into the logistics. So this post is helpful. Hank, is there a website that lists the bus schedule and fares?

The fares on all the Ligne d'Azur buses (the regional bus company) is still only 1 Euro which makes those buses one of the best bargains in all of France. As to the bus schedules, since we do not know which bus number is of interest we will give you the link to all the schedules. The web site is a bit complicated so if you get stuck after trying for a while just post a message here and we will try and help.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6

Hank

The fares on all the Ligne d'Azur buses (the regional bus company) is still only 1 Euro which makes those buses one of the best bargains in all of France. As to the bus schedules, since we do not know which bus number is of interest we will give you the link to all the schedules. The web site is a bit complicated so if you get stuck after trying for a while just post a message here and we will try and help.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6

Hank

thanks -this is helpful - appreciate the link.

Archived