How do you feel about sending credit card info over email for reservations?

I was trying to reserve a tour in Italy with driverinrome.com but they ask for my credit card information to be sent over email. I feel uncomfortable doing this, would you?
I guess my other alternative is to fax it...argh!

It was suggested in another posting to split the information. Send card number by email and expiry by fax.

Apparently this has been done with driveinrome.

Last year a credit card number was not required.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

I always fax mine, if they don't have a secure on-line form for this. I know it's a bit tougher if you don't work in an office with a fax machine, but it's easy enough to buy software for this, so that you don't actually have to have the machine.

I would never email my CC number. The idea of splitting it doesn't do much in the way of security.

How about a phone call? They probably speak English.

Wendy
PG May, 2000
PG April, 2003
Diamond, 14/06/04

There were a lot of comments and ideas in [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=109097554&m=523108121"]this thread[/url].

Personally, if there's no secure ("https://...") webpage to use to send a credit card number, then I'm happy to send half the credit card number by e-mail and the other half plus expiry date by fax. That minimises the risk of interception by someone who's not the intended recipient.

No method of transmission will protect you from fraudulent misuse of the card number by the intended recipient or someone working for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digby:
What's the problem? The CC company assumes almost all the risk, not you! I've done it many times with no problem!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd find it a huge hassle to have to change credit card accounts if my main account were compromised. There are many "standing orders" for repeated charges, which would have to be identified and changed, not to mention having to learn a new card number for mail, telephone and internet orders. On top of that, there's the hassle of dealing with the fraud department of the credit card company, the police, etc. No thanks!

If you have an MBNA credit card you can use ShopSafe which generates one time use credit card numbers. You can set a dollar limit for the CC# and an expiration date. You can also cancel the CC# at anytime with the click of your mouse. It's great for use over the internet.
Tweety

21 June Star Princess -- Venice to Barcelona
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;21;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]

I had the exact same feelings as you. I booked driverinrome as well for Rome and Florence tours. I e-mailed Daniele and he was very accomodating to my concerns. You can fax or call but I decided to split up the number and expiry over a few e-mails. Once he got everything he secured the tour. I just felt better that way. We were just there two weeks ago. It feels like yesterday.

You will not be disappointed in your tours with them. They really made our trip to Italy wonderful. The only problem was that there was so much they wanted to show us of their cities, I must go back to Italy and spend some real time there and I will definitely use their services again.

have a great trip.

I have special checking account (without credit line) to use on the internet.

I keep exact amount of $$ that needs to be charged at particular situation.

------------------------------
Less than 2 weeks till my dream Med vacation!

Splendour of the Seas May 15, 2004 (Europe!!!)

Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL
Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)
Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow
Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Stingraynz wrote:
[B]You can fax or call but I decided to split up the number and expiry over a few e-mails.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better to split the CC number in a fax and e-mail or phone and e-mail, do not send all split numbers and dates by e-mail from same e-mail address or IP number. Hackers know e-mail addresses, IP numbers, etc., and can put things together if they want to.

Also make sure you are sending the CC details to the right person.

Cheers

I had to give all but one of the guides for the BOS 7/13 cruise credit cards. I split the numbers up into 2 e-mails. I had one that required passport information; I did that in 3 emails. Have had no problems thus far

Archived