Endicott Arm

indy71

Our cruise sails through Endicott Arm. I don't see people talking about this at all. I've sailed through Glacier Bay before. Is there any comparison? Just curious about what to expect. Thanks!

Is it scheduled to sail through Endicott Arm? Haven't heard about any that included it on the itinerary. The sailings that I've read about that went to Endicott have been diversions from Tracy Arm when it was too iced over to sail up.

Glacier Bay is a much wider area, with multiple glaciers. Endicott Arm is a fjord, with just one glacier at the end of the fjord. I know people who say that Glacier Bay is a "must-do" on an Alaskan cruise. Our first cruise went to Tracy Arm, our second to Glacier Bay, and I happily booked our 3rd which included Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay, knowing that there was a pretty good chance we'd be diverted since we were sailing the 3rd week of May, as I hadn't found that Glacier Bay was a "must-do" for me -- at least not every sailing.

Our cruise in May was diverted to Endicott Arm. Endicott Arm and Tracy Arm are right next to each other -- you enter them off the same bay. Tracy Arm is much narrower and windy, which contributes to the ice problems. Endicott is wider and straighter, which makes it easier for the ships to get to the view of Dawes Glacier at the end.

I realize this isn't exactly what you asked, but I did think the scenery in Tracy Arm was prettier, just due to the narrow fjord, but Endicott was also beautiful. If you're interested in seeing multiple glaciers than Glacier Bay wins hand-down. If you're interested in seeing one or two glaciers (in the case of Tracy Arm), along with gorgeous scenery, I think Endicott or Tracy works fine.

Here's a couple of photos from our recent cruise showing what you can expect:

Iceberg floating in the water of the fjord:

2192637170060502137S600x600Q85.jpg

One of many waterfalls

2524537270060502137S600x600Q85.jpg

Dawes Glacier:

2817979990060502137S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the details and great pictures. Having been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier I am looking forward to our trip next May that includes Tracy Arm. It looks like we will enjoy the view no matter where we end up :D

Thanks for the details and great pictures. Having been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier I am looking forward to our trip next May that includes Tracy Arm. It looks like we will enjoy the view no matter where we end up :D

Haven't been to Hubbard Glacier yet. One of these trips...

Thanks for the pictures. They are lovely! Our cruise itinerary says SCENIC CRUISING ENDICOTT ARM (July 24, 9:00 A.M.–2:00 P.M.). So, it sounds like we are going to spend some significant time there. I know I'm going to love it, but since I haven't seen it mentioned much before, I was just curious. Thanks again!

Haven't been to Hubbard Glacier yet. One of these trips...
I know a lot of folks like Hubbard Glacier better than Glacier Bay but I didn't. I enjoy the entire experience of cruising Stephens Pass and entering Glacier Bay :D Have seen a lot of marine life there - including a mother humpback and her calf right off the side of the ship. Very magical place!

Thanks for the pictures. They are lovely! Our cruise itinerary says SCENIC CRUISING ENDICOTT ARM (July 24, 9:00 A.M.–2:00 P.M.). So, it sounds like we are going to spend some significant time there. I know I'm going to love it, but since I haven't seen it mentioned much before, I was just curious. Thanks again!
Enjoy your cruise and be sure and come back and tell us all about it!

I was on the Sea Princess in early June and was actually hoping that we would be diverted to Endicott as I had been to Tracy Arm numerous times. Of course we went to Tracy, just my luck LOL I was hoping for some different scenery

I was on the Sea Princess in early June and was actually hoping that we would be diverted to Endicott as I had been to Tracy Arm numerous times. Of course we went to Tracy, just my luck LOL I was hoping for some different scenery

LOL! I spent quite a bit of time warning people on our roll-call that we might be diverted to Endicott Arm that early in the year, and sure enough, we were!

What cruise are you doing? I'm just curious!

Archived