Worth it to change from interior to OV?

FromSJU

Pseudo-Newbie here. (6 cruises under my belt but last one was 12 years ago and the planning was done for me) Sailing with DH, DD 7 and DS 10 on an interior in the Valor August 26. Debating whether to spend an extra $238 to get an OV instead... I figure it is roughly an extra 10 per person per night...I am considering the change not as much for the window (though I do like the idea of having daylight) but also due to the additional space (including the extra seating because I think we would have a small sofa in addition to the chair, right?). Not that we spend much time in the room but thinking that it could get crowded during the day of we only have a king bed and a chair for the four of us (since upper berths will be... Well, up :))

Thoughts? I think I just need opinions on whether it is a good value or even if it's not, whether it could still be worth it to spend the money for the extra space. I am also assuming I should take care of this now while OVs may still be available...opinions needed and welcome! Thanks in advance!

Wow that was fast! Thanks forwardcabin for your response. We've actually been eyeing balconies for our 2013 cruise... My parents, who are joining us on the valor will have a balcony so I am sure as you say, that once we step foot on it we won't want to go back! Better start saving :)

Just my two cents worth...I don't like an OV...reason is that I cannot tolerate seeing the water rushing past when the curtains are open! Makes me feel nauseated! Two times with an OV, I kept the curtains closed the entire time...give me an interior any time! :)

I'd take the OV in a heartbeat, and the price you mentioned is reasonable for the upgrade. As you said, there is more room in an OV (220 sq ft vs. 185 sq ft in an interior). Also a sofa to sit in and some sunlight. Balconies are very nice, but OV's are too. I say go for it! Nancy

Not that we spend much time in the room but thinking that it could get crowded during the day of we only have a king bed and a chair for the four of us (since upper berths will be... Well, up :))

Thoughts? I think I just need opinions on whether it is a good value or even if it's not, whether it could still be worth it to spend the money for the extra space. I am also assuming I should take care of this now while OVs may still be available...opinions needed and welcome! Thanks in advance!

Are the upper bunks always put "up" during the day?

I would take the OV for the extra space, but I can also see how you would want to spend that money on something else too. My experience with four in a cabin (balcony) with an upper and a couch was that the couch and upper were always made into the beds. I know you can ask for them to be put away, but we didn't. You will have the couch but not another chair also (other than the vanity chair/bench). I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "tight" but definitely a little harder to get around than when it's just two of us traveling. I am not sure I could do it with less space in an inside!

We tend to spend time in our cabin, so it's worth it to us to have the extra space.

Just my two cents worth...I don't like an OV...reason is that I cannot tolerate seeing the water rushing past when the curtains are open! Makes me feel nauseated! Two times with an OV, I kept the curtains closed the entire time...give me an interior any time! :)

Interesting you should say this. We had our first OV a few weeks ago. As soon as we walked into the cabin I knew DH was in trouble. He couldn't even look out the window unless we were docked. I would have never thought it would have been an issue.

Good value is in the eye of the beholder. In terms of your family size and how you expressed your bearing on the situation, I conclude that you should definitely pay the extra for the OV. Even if you decide after the fact that it wasn't worth it (although I doubt that will be the case), for a couple hundred dollars and change, you found out for sure.

Space, but more importantly light, is very important my comfort. I have expressed this in other threads of this kind, I would rather not cruise at all than be stuck with an interior room. Just me, and I know it's a little extreme.

family cruiser who would take as much cabin space as possible when cruising with her two teenagers here!! I would definitely take the OV over the interior!! Not sure if I would want it on a lower deck, tho.. that rushing water CAN be a bit disconcerting!!

Our 1st cruise was in a balcony cabin on Dawn Princess (2003) and we fell in love with cruising. Several cruises later (we had suites and mini-suites in the interim) we tried an Ocean view (for a 2-day from San Francisco to Vancouver) and I hated it:(. DH knew I was not happy so he wasn't happy either:). If you have not become accustomed to balcony/suite cabins, then OV may be okay. Otherwise, at least a balcony (if not more) will be a necessity. JMHO, YEMV;).

Now I don't even consider anything below a balcony and, if at all possible, we book mini/full suites. There may come a day when finances prohibit balcony or above - but, for now, we love cruising with a balcony.

Beware getting used to a balcony cabin - you may never want to go back.;)

USUALLY my opinion is that it is not worth it to spend more for an OV. Personally, I don't need the light and don't find the window to be enticing. If I am in an inside I like the darkness it offers otherwise I book balconies.

HOWEVER.....the one time I did book an OV it was because of size and the fact that I was sailing with young kids and wanted us all to be in the same cabin.

So in this case, I would say it is worth the extra money for the space. Even if you are only in the cabin to sleep and dress etc. I think the extra space and the layout this provides is worth it.

Our 1st cruise was in a balcony cabin on Dawn Princess (2003) and we fell in love with cruising. Several cruises later (we had suites and mini-suites in the interim) we tried an Ocean view (for a 2-day from San Francisco to Vancouver) and I hated it:(. DH knew I was not happy so he wasn't happy either:). If you have not become accustomed to balcony/suite cabins, then OV may be okay. Otherwise, at least a balcony (if not more) will be a necessity. JMHO, YEMV;).

Now I don't even consider anything below a balcony and, if at all possible, we book mini/full suites. There may come a day when finances prohibit balcony or above - but, for now, we love cruising with a balcony.

Beware getting used to a balcony cabin - you may never want to go back.;)

And then there are those of use who dont care about sitting out on a balcony, too hot, no light at night to read by, etc.. just not my thing. I have had balconys and junior suites.. enjoyed the extra space of the JS, but I personally am happier with the extra space of a OV.

Thats why they have different categorys.. everyone is different.

Is the $238 the total extra for all 4 of you? Value is hard to judge for someone else...

We took grandkids and made sure we got a room with a couch - it was a porthole room on a different line but similar issues. DH and I usually get an inside to save money, but I prefer ships that have insides rooms that have couches, but you won't have that on a Conquest class ship. It's pretty tight for four with no sitting area. If you get the OV you could ask the cabin steward to take out the table if it helps you. They will likely keep the couch made up as a bed - I don't know if there are OV with 2 pullmans, usually only 1 pullman and then the couch. But you can use the couch to sit on too even if it's made up as a bed.

I love being low to the water in an OV! Something for everyone! Have a great cruise. m--

And then there are those of use who dont care about sitting out on a balcony, too hot, no light at night to read by, etc.. just not my thing. I have had balconys and junior suites.. enjoyed the extra space of the JS, but I personally am happier with the extra space of a OV.

Thats why they have different categorys.. everyone is different.

I too am not crazy about a balcony.

I do not like the fact that the balcony eats up the cabin space.

Not sure how much time we will spend in our room since its really our first time as a family. I just chatted with DH and he too thinks its likely worth it for the added space. Can you elaborate in the rushing water thing? Like , we may see the water right there at eye level? Sorry it's just hard to envision.. :)

Not sure how much time we will spend in our room since its really our first time as a family. I just chatted with DH and he too thinks its likely worth it for the added space. Can you elaborate in the rushing water thing? Like , we may see the water right there at eye level? Sorry it's just hard to envision.. :)

No, not exactly eye level, but you can see out toward the horizon...it all depends on which floor your cabin is situated. I have been on Riviera (Lowest Deck), and yes, the water was not THAT far below the windows. If you have trouble with motion, it does present an issue, at least in my experience. The OV windows are approximately in the middle of the wall. It does provide extra seating too, and is great for the time in port (when not moving!!)

Thanks all so much for all the responses! Yes the 238 extra is for the four of us total. DH is a big guy, he and DS 10 get into mock wrestling matches regularly, I think I am going to go with extra space. :). Now if only I could pay extra to have a second full bathroom :)

Yup, the interior room space in the room is smaller than in an OV, because of the balcony...

Averages:

Interior = 185 square feet

OV = 220

Balcony = 185 + 35 balcony

varies somewhat between ships and rooms

I'd take the OV in a heartbeat, and the price you mentioned is reasonable for the upgrade. As you said, there is more room in an OV (220 sq ft vs. 185 sq ft in an interior). Also a sofa to sit in and some sunlight. Balconies are very nice, but OV's are too. I say go for it! Nancy

Where are you getting the 220 square feet of interior space from? I can't find specific square footage on the Carnival site so I'm looking at the Valor stateroom descriptions on Travelocity's "Ship Details" and it doesn't appear that the interior space changes from interior room to OV room until you reach suite level. That can't be right. According to the descriptions on Travelocity for the Valor, the interior space is 185 sq feet for inside rooms and OV rooms (no balcony) as well as some of the balcony staterooms (I didn't check every category beyone 9's).

Archived