Oceania to Havana, Cuba?

Oceans&Rivers

We finally decided that we have waited long enough and booked a tour to Cuba for next March.

I hope it all works out well.

BTW, this does not necessarily eliminate taking any possible future O cruises to Havana :D

Which company are you going with? Ours stayed in Cienfuegos for 4 nights and Havana for 7 - one of the other trips had 2 nights in Cienfuegos and 2 in Trinidad, followed by 6 in Havana, which is probably a better itinerary. Another company added a flight to Santiago de Cuba, which has a pretty vibrant art and music scene.

"...the Cuban expats still want the restrictions hoping that the economic hardship will cause the people to turn away from the Castro regime and form a democracy, but those Castro brothers seem to live forever."

Comparing my first visit to Cuba 25 years ago with my recent one a little over a year ago....the economic hardship seems much less now than then. What I'm saying is that Cuba seems to have gradually improved the lives of ordinary citizens very noticeably over the last 25 years. In fact, the very resolute American position, ironically, and the decline of the Eastern bloc, may have actually helped (or forced) Cuba to find its feet economically in the wider world.

I also observed much less emphasis on Castro (whichever brother you choose) in my most recent visit. Twenty-five years ago, tour guides earnestly told us, "Fidel gave us this hospital. Fidel gave us this university." A year ago, tour guides said, "Cuba has developed its off-shore oil. We are rebuilding Havana." One of the most interesting things about this country is that it has managed to survive and build itself in virtual isolation from the USA. They are quite aware of US culture, but they see themselves as their own place. Living next door to the USA in Canada with relatively open borders and cultures, I have to admit, we Canadians don't have nearly as clear an idea of ourselves as the Cubans do. Even if the Castros fade away, I think the Cubans will still know who they are. I did ask our Cuban guide, "Do you see a time coming when relations will be normalized with the USA?" He answered very seriously, "Oh, yes, I think it will be within ten years." He seemed to welcome it.

I really think it's wonderful that Americans on this board want to experience Cuba, and you won't regret going there. In the end, it turns out wherever you travel, the people you find are the same as you, and different from you. Aside from beautiful vistas, that's why it's worthwhile, right?

"...the Cuban expats still want the restrictions hoping that the economic hardship will cause the people to turn away from the Castro regime and form a democracy, but those Castro brothers seem to live forever."

Comparing my first visit to Cuba 25 years ago with my recent one a little over a year ago....the economic hardship seems much less now than then. What I'm saying is that Cuba seems to have gradually improved the lives of ordinary citizens very noticeably over the last 25 years. In fact, the very resolute American position, ironically, and the decline of the Eastern bloc, may have actually helped (or forced) Cuba to find its feet economically in the wider world.

I also observed much less emphasis on Castro (whichever brother you choose) in my most recent visit. Twenty-five years ago, tour guides earnestly told us, "Fidel gave us this hospital. Fidel gave us this university." A year ago, tour guides said, "Cuba has developed its off-shore oil. We are rebuilding Havana." One of the most interesting things about this country is that it has managed to survive and build itself in virtual isolation from the USA. They are quite aware of US culture, but they see themselves as their own place. Living next door to the USA in Canada with relatively open borders and cultures, I have to admit, we Canadians don't have nearly as clear an idea of ourselves as the Cubans do. Even if the Castros fade away, I think the Cubans will still know who they are. I did ask our Cuban guide, "Do you see a time coming when relations will be normalized with the USA?" He answered very seriously, "Oh, yes, I think it will be within ten years." He seemed to welcome it.

I really think it's wonderful that Americans on this board want to experience Cuba, and you won't regret going there. In the end, it turns out wherever you travel, the people you find are the same as you, and different from you. Aside from beautiful vistas, that's why it's worthwhile, right?

Right!!

Which company are you going with? Ours stayed in Cienfuegos for 4 nights and Havana for 7 - one of the other trips had 2 nights in Cienfuegos and 2 in Trinidad, followed by 6 in Havana, which is probably a better itinerary. Another company added a flight to Santiago de Cuba, which has a pretty vibrant art and music scene.

We decided to go with Insight Cuba - 8 days Havana/Cienfuegos/Trinidad.

The price, itinerary were good and they have plenty of dates to choose from.

We really liked the ones offered by Natl Trust for Preservation and were willing to pay the extra cost but they have very few dates each year and none worked for us in the foreseeable future (too many Oceania cruises :D).

Those of us who have visited all of the Caribbean islands time and time again will not be asking "What island is this we're on today?" when finally setting foot on Cuba. As observed, the isolation has consolidated the culture to be a truly unique experience in the Caribbean.

We decided to go with Insight Cuba - 8 days Havana/Cienfuegos/Trinidad.

The price, itinerary were good and they have plenty of dates to choose from.

We really liked the ones offered by Natl Trust for Preservation and were willing to pay the extra cost but they have very few dates each year and none worked for us in the foreseeable future (too many Oceania cruises :D).

Insight Cuba has been around a long time and has a good reputation. We considered them, but went with a different company because the trip was 3 days longer.

We finally decided that we have waited long enough and booked a tour to Cuba for next March. I hope it all works out well.
Good for you Paulchili. I'm sure you'll enjoy Cuba and its wonderful people.

If you have any free time in Havana, check out the Bacardi building in the historic centre. It's not on many itineraries but really should be. It's a splendid Art Deco building with original decor, lighting, bat motifs and furnishings from the days of the Bacardi family. On the mezzanine level is a tiny but stylish bar, La Barrita, which serves superb Mojitos. Our server (a former University professor) promised a refund is they weren't the best. And they were, though not made with Bacardi rum! It's special, even in a city with lots of amazing architecture and legendary bars.

Benita - I am glad to hear that Insight has a good reputation.

MightyQuinn - I am not sure how much "freedom" we'll have to be on our own, but if we do, we'll check out the Bacardi building.

Looking forward to the trip. Should be good weather in late March. :)

Another wonderful hidden gem is the DuPont house at one end of the beach in Vardero. This was built for two sisters by their DuPont parents as a holiday getaway. I believe you can actually stay in the place as a small hotel, but even if not staying, there is a wonderful bar on the top floor that overlooks the beach and the ocean.

And yes, the Bacardi building in Havana is wonderful. Even from the outside you can see the stained glass windows topped with the Bacardi crest.

Archived