How could RCL still allow smoking on the balcony

Are you kidding me? How much of a problem can it be for you when the ship is moving 25 knots? How much time do you spend on your balcony? How much time does the smoker spend? Give me a break. Learn to tolorate people - we tolorate you.

Thank you. Your right - being deprived of smoking is an impossible situation for a smoker.

Most smokers I have known only ask they have reasonable places to smoke. Thats all. And reasonable doesnt mean in one 10x10ft spot on the back of the ship.

I dont mind not smoking in restaurants or common areas, or even the room. But if I cant smoke - what am I suppose to do? Dont you think I would quit if I could go 7 days without a smoke? My only option is not to be on the ship or break the rules.

9 times out of 10, its the non smokers who are the rude and inconsiderate ones. How often do you see a smoker flagrantly breaking the rules and smoking where not allowed?

I have an idea -- no smoking -- okay, but no kids either. They are too noisy and disturb my experience. And no perfume because some people are allergic to that. Oh, and no booze because they can be beligerant. Oh, and no cooked fish because I cant stomach that smell. OH, and no hover rounds because they run over my toes sometimes.

Want me to keep going? Point is - we all have to live in this world. Maybe you should try to tolorate others a little bit more.

Oh, and before someone says its a health issue for them. Crawl back in your bubble because if my having a smoke on a balcony while the ship is moving at 25 knots is affecting your health, you clearly cant handle living in the world and need to be protected in a bubble.

Ok - now im ready for my flaming....

Well said Joey, I am just back off a cruise and I only met my smoking neighbours on there balcony about 3 times in 14 days. I loved my aft balcony and my neigbours did too, however there is so much going on a cruise ship we rarely were on our balconies at the same time.

I think the OP just started this thread to see what reaction they would get! I bet you they drive a car polluting the air with poisonous gases and never think twice about the impact on the enviroment, their own health or that of others.

I do hope RCI keep there existing policy in the hope the OP and the likes who I expect are the sour faced obnoxious, lift skipping, buffet pushing intolerent people that I have the misfortune of cruising with.

I smoked for over 20 years! I'm very proud that I am smoke free now for 12.5 years. It wasn't easy. I have found that I have become extremely sensitive to smoke. I can smell it outdoors even if you are far away. Wierd! but true! :D Literally I can feel my throat closing when the smell hits. Gross! Anyhoo. We have had a couple of cruises where our next door neighbour's smoked on their balconies. We always have our door open. Even all night long. We love the soothing sound of the ocean and being forced to close our door because I cannot breath kind of ruins it. The laws in Canada have changed so much over the years I no longer see smoking in my day to day life since it is illegal to smoke indoors in any public areas. So when I visit another country and feel my throat close, it's like oh yeah the rest of the world hasn't got the "memo" yet and still allows smoking in public. :D My vote is to ban smoking on ships 100% Smoking is not a bright thing to do, it's not good for you or the people around you, it smells, it makes you stink and you should quit. :D I got the memo!

I need to add a couple of more credentials since I am an American and have a lot of oustide of US friends that always say that we (Americans) need to bring our own little violin since everyone else in the world does it. Well, we do too:

1) I have solar panels on my roof - a whole 7.24 kW system

2) My pool has a dual-speed motor

3) Both of my air conditioners are premium efficiency

4) I don't drive to work - I work at home

5) My husband - poor him, does have to drive to work, but he drives a Prius

6) I have to suffer through cold winters- you know it actually freezes here every couple of years

7) We used have protests organized in the US by labor unions in BC.

#7 is my lucky number.

I meant to add, my heart ached when I saw the labor protests in Vancouver in 2002 and again for years to come. My heart aches when I speak with my best friend in Athens, Greece. My throat closes when I speak with my brother in Germany about the economy in the rest of the Eurozone.

I'm glad I live in a country that is reasonable.

I do not have a problem with their policy and have never been bothered on any cruise from smokers. You can always book an inside cabin if it is a problem.

Inside cabins don't have a very good view of the ocean! You might as well stay on land! :eek: The law is very clear in Canada. Non smokers have the rights. Smokers have no right to smoke anywhere public indoors. I believe the world will eventually change that way as well. It's the healthy way to go! :D

My vote is to ban smoking on ships 100% Smoking is not a bright thing to do, it's not good for you or the people around you, it smells, it makes you stink and you should quit.

Well thank you for that. I appreciate your heartfelt concern for me. How about this.. Try Celebrity - Leave RCI alone.

These days, how could RCL still allow smoking on balconies (assuming

I read it correctly) ? Having a chain smoker, or early morning smoke,r in

the cabin next door can totally negate the benefits of having a balcony

for a non smoker. RCL is way behind the times on this issue.

Why not? It puts the smoker outside and the smoke disperses.

In this day and age, there's still a smokestack on the ship, and exhaust pipes on cars.

And smoking is still legal.

Did anyone bother to do a search to find the 2000 + previous threads on smoking . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

One thing I've learned about Cruise Critic... virtually no one does a search.

Hence the daily threads like "Should I book directly or use a TA?"

Did anyone bother to do a search to find the 2000 + previous threads on smoking . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Its the same ol same ol. Some Non smokers think the world is owed to them. Nobody else's desires matter, only theirs.

Its the same ol same ol. Some Non smokers think the world is owed to them. Nobody else's desires matter, only theirs.

And some smokers believe the same thing.

Let's get honest here. Smoking is both a quality of life and health issue. Both impact the non-smoker. Breathing clean air is certainly quality of life. Harmful effects of second hand smoke impacts the non smoker as well.

And some smokers believe the same thing.

Let's get honest here. Smoking is both a quality of life and health issue. Both impact the non-smoker. Breathing clean air is certainly quality of life. Harmful effects of second hand smoke impacts the non smoker as well.

And a smoker not being allowed to smoke on the ship is the same thing as banning them from cruising. You cant just "stop" for a week.

And no, most smokers just want to have reasonable places to smoke. They have no problem following reasonable rules and co-existing with non smokers. Its non smokers who cant seem to live with smokers.

Like I said before -- leave your kids at home cuz im sick of dealing with them. leave your purfume too, it stinks. No hover rounds either, im sick of them rolling over my toes. Oh, and if you have a cold, stay off the ship, I dont want to catch it and be sick.

I agree completely. I think allowing smoking ANYWHERE on the ship is dangerous, not to mention how disruptive it can be to a non-smoker's vacation experience.

But as long as non-smokers accept the policy and continue to cruise with Royal then I doubt it will change.

RCI has all the things that are fun and heathy. Celebrity does not have them.

RCI has all the things that are made to appeal to youth. Celebrity does not have them.

I had one cruise on Celebrity - and was bored out of my mind. Why would I want that?

Please don't tell us that Celebrity is the line for us. It is NOT.

RCI has what we want on a ship - except fresh air.

I would LOVE to see RCI have a smoker for smoking and leave the rest of the ship for other activites.

I think the smokers lives have changed alot over the last couple of years. I for one would not book on a cruise line which did not allow smoking on the balconies (as a smoker) so I would think as a non smoker I would pick a cabin with a balcony were it would be least likely to be affected. I think we can all find things to complain about or look for all the things we enjoy about cruising and all have a great time!

This is one of the main reasons that we always try to get a balcony at the very front of the ship. If we do have the misfortune of having a smoker next to us, at least the nasty smell and harmful smoke will travel away from us..

Why is it that no one complains about the deisel fumes from the smoke stack? I smell that a lot more than I do cigarette smoke. Here's an article that reports that the WHO confirms that deisel fumes causes cancer and cruise passengers are mentioned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47783085/ns/health-cancer/t/diesel-fumes-cause-cancer-health-agency-says/

While we are at it ..Is there anything else we can change for you ? Maybe a better mattress, pillows ?

Please go and cruise another line .:p

Why is it that no one complains about the deisel fumes from the smoke stack?

Probably because the diesel engine is, ya know, required for the propulsion of the ship. Without the diesel engine the cruise would be kind of boring because it would never leave the departure port. I don't think cruise ships are going to go towards nuclear propulsion any time soon.

Smoking tobacco, however, is not a necessary thing for a cruise ship. For a non-smoker sensitive to it, it is just an annoyance that can range from minor for some people to major for others. That can ruin balcony usage time if you have a "smokestack" in the cabin next to yours.

Archived