Everyone and a Maxi?

sail7seas

I don't care for maxi dresses really, but I'm short and have hips so it's hard to find maxi dresses that look good on me. That's just me though. I don't think it has really anything to do with age. I'm in my 20s and I don't think they're a good look for me. I have one that I really like but it's a more structured style.

I have been looking for a maxi but I am so short, I would need 8 inch heels just to not step on the hem of the darn things. My fashionista daughter thinks that they make people look even shorter than they really are so she won't try one on. She did convince me to get what she calls a "hi-lo" sundress for the cruise. It is just above the knee in the front and down to my ankles in the back.

I have been looking for a maxi but I am so short, I would need 8 inch heels just to not step on the hem of the darn things. My fashionista daughter thinks that they make people look even shorter than they really are so she won't try one on. She did convince me to get what she calls a "hi-lo" sundress for the cruise. It is just above the knee in the front and down to my ankles in the back.

You need to go to the lady's petite department. My daughter is 5' 1" and she has several.

I am really short and a little rounder then I'd like to be and I love a maxi .. I buy them in bulk and get them shortened so I'm not tripping all over them... Anyone know if early November Bahama weather allows for maxi dress wearing ???

I follow this wise fashion saying: If you're old enough to have worn it the first time (it was in fashion), you're too old to wear it the second time.

I feel like I'm playing dress-up in them, and I agree that they don't look good on every body type either.

Xenagurl, I got rid of a few maxi dresses last year that I'd had in the closet for 5 years or so and wasn't wearing, so I doubt it's a current trend. I bought a maxi dress on my honeymoon (one of my favorite ever) on our honeymoon over 26 years ago.

They like most clothing have come and gone out of style but the recent trend of them was a few years ago. So what I'm saying is that if someone is wearing them for the sake of trendy now, they've missed the boat. If they're wearing it to be comfortable, well more power to them! :)

I am really short and a little rounder then I'd like to be and I love a maxi .. I buy them in bulk and get them shortened so I'm not tripping all over them... Anyone know if early November Bahama weather allows for maxi dress wearing ???

It is still in the 70's in Nov.

I'm 5'2 and a little on the thick side. Every Maxie dress I've tried on has made me look pregnant! I haven't found one yet that has looked good on me. It makes me so sad too because I think they are so pretty and comfy looking. I really want to wear one on our next cruise but am afraid someone will ask me how far along I am.LOL

OK, I'm not visual, so I don't even know what I'm doing on this thread - 'cos I do not care how I look to other people. Sorry, guys.

It's all about comfort for me! And the fact that - because I'm short - most chairs are too tall for me (my legs dangle), so I still (though being 60 years old) prefer sometimes to sit cross-legged (better for my back!). So a maxi makes it SO MUCH easier to be comfy in a big chair/sofa/whatever. Cross-legged is DANGEROUS in shorter dresses.

And I LOVE dresses!!!!! So comfy! So cool!

Barb. Shameless!

I think they look nice on most people. However...at 5 foot nothing they are not in my wardrobe ! I held a small up to me and laughed hysterical !! My DD looked over and said only if you grow up! So no I don't do Maxi's. I do wear formal gowns and love it ! But that is different . The material and the way it lays is way different than the typical material on a Maxi and also I can't wear the T-shirt type cotton dresses I just don't like the way that looks on me whih is the material I see most of the Maxi dresses in .

I'm so surprised at all the comments about wearing maxis over a certain age. Wow. If the dress is worn properly and in good taste, age has nothing to do with it. I have seen older women look great in a maxi dress and some twenty somethings look ridiculous.

I'm so surprised at all the comments about wearing maxis over a certain age. Wow. If the dress is worn properly and in good taste, age has nothing to do with it. I have seen older women look great in a maxi dress and some twenty somethings look ridiculous.

Hi:)....that is why you need to remember it is everyone's different

opinion and you know what they say about opinions;)

Most folks on here don't put "In my opinion" before they preface

their post......and some folks have a much kinder way of posting

things and others are quite harsh.....not saying yours is harsh but

just giving some insight:)

I love Maxi dresses. I think I have 4. 2 are cotton an very casual. I just bought a new blue one from Nordstrom to wear on elegant night. Its my family reunion cruise and we are all wearing white/blue in any combination one chooses. My sister, gma and I are all wearing royal blue ones. My gma's is from Chicos. I think you look as good as you feel in anything. There's no age limit for maxi dresses as my gma's in her mid sixties!

What I have found about maxi dresses for me- the ones that have tiers make me look horrid and I can't stand how the dress looks on me but I have two that have the empire waist and a straight a-line cut that look great on me. I also think that certain fabrics just don't work and no matter what size or shape you are they don't look good even on the hanger.

As for being a certain age I disagree. I think if it looks good and you feel good then that's all that matters.

Just like with all clothing, it's not always "age appropriate" issues, but fit issues that make me not buy certain clothing. I like crop pants, but the inseam is often too short and hit my calf in a very unflattering spot.

I normally shy away from maxidresses and one reason a lot of the petite ladies have given is also my issue, the length. My length gripe is in the opposite direction, though; I'm 5'11", and I find many maxis to be not long enough(the majority of clothes are fit for women in the 5'7" range), so I've sat out the maxi dress trend these last two seasons, as I've also not been too impressed with the fit of the many dresses I've tried on(not fitted enough in the waist or under the bust. That's the reason for the complaint of looking pregnant by some of the ladies here).

not fitted enough in the waist or under the bust. That's the reason for the complaint of looking pregnant by some of the ladies here).

Yes, the empire waist is flattering to no one, in my opinion - and wasn't even flattering when it was around the first time (late 18th century). Some people think it hides a multitude of sins, but I think it's like wearing a tent and isn't fooling anyone.

Yes, the empire waist is flattering to no one, in my opinion - and wasn't even flattering when it was around the first time (late 18th century). Some people think it hides a multitude of sins, but I think it's like wearing a tent and isn't fooling anyone.

I find that if a person is thin and not too busty an empire waist looks fine and even flattering. Of course it all depends on body shape and I really don't feel that clothes should "hide" anything, clothes need to flatter what a person has regarding their figure.

Actually, an empire waist flatters me because it accentuates my small waist. The key for me is the length below the waist and making sure it's fitted enough.

I like maxi dresses as casual wear but I've have yet to find one to suit my body type. I've got a big bust but otherwise I'm slim. Here's to finding a maxi dress that suits me up and down :rolleyes:

I've also like the look of maxi's on the young and older (me being in the later group)! Trying several on for the last few years, but, never finding a maxi that looked good on me and i so gave up.

I need the support!! Most maxi's you need to go braless or the built in bra has really no support....hence, a horrible look on me.

A few weeks ago I was at Macy's with the husband looking for a dress (nieces up coming wedding) and hubby gives me a maxi dress to try on. Well, it was not dressy enough for the wedding, but, it was marked down to $25, and the top had wide straps so I could wear a bra...figured for that price it was worth a try.

So surprised how much I liked it on me...better yet when I went to pay, it was only $14.95 instead of $25! Yay! But, Probably be out of style on my '13 spring cruise...lol.

I love Maxi dresses. I think I have 4. 2 are cotton an very casual. I just bought a new blue one from Nordstrom to wear on elegant night. Its my family reunion cruise and we are all wearing white/blue in any combination one chooses. My sister, gma and I are all wearing royal blue ones. My gma's is from Chicos. I think you look as good as you feel in anything. There's no age limit for maxi dresses as my gma's in her mid sixties!

Your grandmother will no doubt look lovely in her maxi. I think I tried the same one on at Chico's but I did not buy it even though it was a terrific price. As with several others I wasn't sure where to wear it. On the Allure of the Seas a couple of weeks later about 50% of the women of all ages, shapes and sizes had them on during casual evenings which surprised me. I wish that I had bought it!!! The ladies all looked much better in their maxis than some of the casual wear I have seen on ships in the evenings. :D

Archived