Bermuda with young child

fungirl76

Question..... My daughter will be coming on a bermuda cruise with us in September. She turns 3 in October, however most of the excursions booked throuh the ship state child needs to be 3. If I forgo the ship excursions and do the excursions on my own, will she be allowed? She will only be 1 month from turning 3 and is looks like she is about 4.

In Bermuda there is NO need to do the ship excursions. Step off the ship - buy a bus/ferry pass and see Bermuda on your own. We are leaving in 19 days for our 3rd trip to Bermuda since last May. We have found that we like staying on the ferry much more than the buses - so I am learning the system each time I go back. It is a very easy island to navigate and there are lots of kid friendly places to go.

For a 3 year old - the best beach is Horseshoe Bay's Baby Beach - when you get to Horseshoe Bay - go to the right and the area is protected by rocks. You will find lots of parents there. Then after your child is done swimming, you can walk to the LEFT of horseshoe and explore the other connecting beaches just to see them. Each one more beautiful than the next.

This is baby beach

061.jpg

Take another day and head to Bermuda Zoo and Aquarium http://www.bamz.org

327.jpg

304.jpg

315.jpg

This is Snorkel Park Beach - THIS is right at the dockyard where the RCI, CCL and NCL ships are docked. You have to pay to get into this beach. It is man made and not as nice as the others in Bermuda - but if you have a short day - this is an option

389.jpg

And here is the playground (free) right next to the snorkel park

377.jpg

If you have any more questions - please let me know and I can try to help you. When we get back again in a few weeks - I will have another report about what we did this time.

I figured I could show you some more.

Get your bus/ferry pass at one of the three stands right next to the ships - very easy - but they only take CASH

093.jpg

Everything is well marked

106.jpg

Here is what Horseshoe looks like

058.jpg

One of the beaches next to Horseshoe

083.jpg

This is Hamilton where some of the other ships dock

337.jpg

The girls LOVE riding the ferry - we took it between the dockyard and Hamilton

343.jpg

I live in Bermuda and take my children to the aquarium every other week and have done since birth! That is weird hat they would have an age restriction on either of those excursions.

For the aquarium, just take the bus out there. Just tell the driver where you are going, they will be more than happy to tell you which bus, and where to get off.

For the aquarium from the dockyard - we found it was easier (ie more pleasant) to take the ferry to Hamilton - then walk to the bus terminal and take the shorter bus ride to the aquarium. :)

For the aquarium from the dockyard - we found it was easier (ie more pleasant) to take the ferry to Hamilton - then walk to the bus terminal and take the shorter bus ride to the aquarium. :)

Thanks much for all your tips and pics!!!! I have never been to Bermuda so we are very excited!!

I was on the Veendam that docked in Hamilton, so it was just a walk up to the bus.

But yes, I can agree, take the ferry to Hamilton, then up the street to the bust depot for the bus to the aquarium. We then got on the bus and headed out to Crystal Caves.

I was on the Veendam that docked in Hamilton, so it was just a walk up to the bus.

But yes, I can agree, take the ferry to Hamilton, then up the street to the bust depot for the bus to the aquarium. We then got on the bus and headed out to Crystal Caves.

Yep! You were right at that picture that I posted above. We have the added step of being docked over at the dockyard.

How did you like that ship?

So yes, for those already in Hamilton - walk right up the street - follow the signs to the bus terminal and ask for the bus to the aquarium. In one of my reviews I have the bus number - but I can't think of the number now. (10? 11?)

We went in June with much of our family including our niece who'd just turned 5. She enjoyed watching the dolphins ($10 admission to maritime museum at the dockyard, swimming with them is expensive but watching is free with museum ticket), swimming at Horseshoe Bay, and the aquarium and zoo (admission $10 for adults, free for under 5's). She also loved riding on the bus and ferry when she was well rested. Her mom brought some snacks for her such as the mini boxes of cereal from the buffet and that was really helpful. She also mentioned that she wished she'd brought her stroller even though she rarely used it at home.

The ship was nice. I'd sail it again, but not in a rush. We selected it for Bermuda specifically due to it docking downtown.

However, this is the last season that the Veendam is going to Bermuda.

So sad :( The CCL ships pulled out too. Luckily for me - the RCI ships and the NCL ships are still going. And NCL added their newest ship to the Bermuda lineup - Breakaway.

I don't pretend to understand their decision. Unless its just easier to take their customers to Florida/Bahamas - in regards to CCL.

We fell in love with Bermuda as a safe family destination and we will keep going back.

In addition to Horseshoe Bay and BAMZ, I'd recommend the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute in Hamilton. We took the ferry from the Dockyard took a cab rather than walking down Front Street ($7.50 for four of us in an A/C cab was worth it!) and then we took the bus back to Hamilton.

@cruisinmama, love your photos! We have almost the same ones, LOVE Bermuda. O/T heard from a crew member from AO last week that the Explorer will be refitted in a year or so with a Flowrider so I expect it's going into drydock at some point?

In addition to Horseshoe Bay and BAMZ, I'd recommend the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute in Hamilton. We took the ferry from the Dockyard took a cab rather than walking down Front Street ($7.50 for four of us in an A/C cab was worth it!) and then we took the bus back to Hamilton.

@cruisinmama, love your photos! We have almost the same ones, LOVE Bermuda. O/T heard from a crew member from AO last week that the Explorer will be refitted in a year or so with a Flowrider so I expect it's going into drydock at some point?

12/22/2014 is dry dock for Explorer. And I am off to check out the Underwater Exploration Institute! Thanks for the tip!

Here is the dry dock schedule

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf

Edited to say - They have a TITANIC exhibit there!!!!! Do you realize how obsessed my youngest is with Titanic?

How far is it from where the ferry dock is in Hamilton? I know you took a taxi but is it walkable?

Titanic Exhibit

Photographs on display are from the 1995 feature-length IMAX documentary film "Titanica" which involved a joint Canadian, Russian and American scientific investigation of the Titanic wreck site.

Note also the props on display used in the Academy-Award winning movie "Titanic".

12/22/2014 is dry dock for Explorer. And I am off to check out the Underwater Exploration Institute! Thanks for the tip!

Here is the dry dock schedule

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf

Edited to say - They have a TITANIC exhibit there!!!!! Do you realize how obsessed my youngest is with Titanic?

How far is it from where the ferry dock is in Hamilton? I know you took a taxi but is it walkable?

Titanic Exhibit

Photographs on display are from the 1995 feature-length IMAX documentary film "Titanica" which involved a joint Canadian, Russian and American scientific investigation of the Titanic wreck site.

Note also the props on display used in the Academy-Award winning movie "Titanic".

Yes, it's walkable but it's a little far, maybe a 15-20 minute walk. I posted on the Bermuda forum asking if it's possible and someone replied it was and they had done it with one opinion to take a cab. It was well worth the cab fare, IMO b/c at times the sidewalk looked narrow. The information guide also recommended a cab then grab the bus on the way back, very easy. It was very humid and hot that day, though. BUEI was a nice stop for us.

OT, I spent a lot of time with my eyes welled up at the Titanic stuff, I love that ship too (did a term paper in school before they found the wreck and have the National Geographic from the Ballard discovery). I saw Dr Ballard at Mystic Aquarium a couple years ago:)

Archived