Just Off Magic

AngAndBoys

...Steakhouse: OMG! It was SO GOOD! Well worth the extra money. I tried to book it again, later in the cruise and it was booked solid. Suggest reserving early and/or going early in the cruise...
...We were on Magic in December, but didn't take time to find out about the Steakhouse. Can you tell me: how much does it cost and what does that include?

Great review! Glad you touched on points that have come up lately. We are on the Magic in December and can't wait! So glad you and your family had a wonderful cruise!

I'm also sailing the Magic again December 2. I was on her in April and that is ONE GREAT SHIP! :)

OP: thanks for your input. I loved the Magic and I love sailing out of Galveston. My only issue with Texans is on the football field when they play OU. :D

BOOMER SOONER!

Okay, I'll play along. My grandson always holds a door for a lady. He earns his allowance by collecting cans and we cash them in. He is 7 and should have his black belt next year. The 2 grand daughters are 3 and are works in progress. Our kids are 28 and 31. They each have multiple degrees, families, jobs and pay taxes. I am ex military and strict but reasonable. I may be a control freak but am socialized. But I have zero tolerance on some issues. We just returned from taking everyone to Outer Banks for a week. Everyone had a great time and I behaved.

I think that is an easy way to say, they have no children.

Oh, and don't think bad of all Ohioans. We are not all self inflated morons.

Sure you are, you worship an oversized acorn.

Best Regards From,

The State up North :D

Disembarkation: Took forever, like 3.5 hours to get called, get off the boat, get luggage, get through customs and get to car.

Were you given a specific time to disembark? Never been on Carnival but we've been on many cruises and usually we get a time to get off. Were you waiting in a lounge for 3.5 hours to get off? Could you have requested an earlier time? We're going in Sept and would like to get an early start, but not like 6a.m.....any suggestions?

...We were on Magic in December, but didn't take time to find out about the Steakhouse. Can you tell me: how much does it cost and what does that include?

Yes, it is $35/pp and includes appetizer, meal, and dessert. I had the surf and turf which is filet mignon and lobster. I had the shrimp cocktail for appetizer. One of my sons had crab cakes for appetizer, which was good. Another had lobster bisque which was seriously good. I'd say the level of food is on par with an upscale steak house on land...a very good price for the value. None of us could finish our meals and we didn't even have the dessert.

Were you given a specific time to disembark? Never been on Carnival but we've been on many cruises and usually we get a time to get off. Were you waiting in a lounge for 3.5 hours to get off? Could you have requested an earlier time? We're going in Sept and would like to get an early start, but not like 6a.m.....any suggestions?

If you self-disembark, you get to go earlier. They kick you out of the cabins at 8:30, and breakfast ends at 9...so depending on your zone #, it could be quite a while of sitting around.

I got up at 8:30(because I somehow messed up setting my alarm and it never even went off!) and they were already announcing for #'s up to zone 9. You get luggage tags the night before with your zone number on it. It depends where you are on the ship as to which zone. We were on deck 6 and were zone 19. I think they go up to the low 30's. That's also how you find your bags in the terminal..by the zone number. We were called by 9:30. It took a while to get our luggage because one of my tags came off and I had to look all over for it. Then the lines for customs were seriously long. It was less of a wait if you had a passport. We do not, so we had to get in the long one.

Then you had to wait at the terminal for one person to get the car and then get in the line of cars to pick everyone and their luggage up. I didn't do that part because I parked directly across the street from the terminal and we walked with our luggage. Much faster.

To answer your question, yes, you can request an earlier time. If you are not self-disembarking, and you have an earlier flight, you go to guest services and they will give you an early zone number.

Okay, I'll play along. My grandson always holds a door for a lady. He earns his allowance by collecting cans and we cash them in. He is 7 and should have his black belt next year. The 2 grand daughters are 3 and are works in progress. Our kids are 28 and 31. They each have multiple degrees, families, jobs and pay taxes. I am ex military and strict but reasonable. I may be a control freak but am socialized. But I have zero tolerance on some issues. We just returned from taking everyone to Outer Banks for a week. Everyone had a great time and I behaved.

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I was raised by old hippies, myself, and still managed to get a degree, have a family, and pay taxes. My brother is a very successful businessman and my sister is also degreed with family and living the normal suburban life. Our parents were weirdly permissive and yet we all turned out fine.

I posted without shame because I don't feel I did anything purposefully wrong. I am neither a perfect mom nor a perfectly horrible one. In my 16 years of motherhood, I have given approximately 976 lectures, sat through 2000 or so sports events, 332 awards ceremonies, and 700 open houses, etc. When the school does call me about one of my kids, they get trouble at home as well. I often make them write essays for me, regarding whatever behavior they did...for example, the last one was: What Must it Be Like to Be My Teacher and Have to Try to Teach 30 Kids When One Can't Be Quiet. I stay in contact with their teachers and ask to be notified of any problems, even minor, so the kids know we're all on the same page and I know what they're up to at school.

Even so, I make mistakes. I am not always as strict as I need to be. I don't always pay enough attention. I am sometimes naive. Some things that would bother other parents, I don't even think about. I have THREE boys...I'm totally outnumbered. I have nerves of steel and a higher than average tolerance for both filth and dangerous behavior. Sometimes,Sir, I am just too darn tired to deal with them and I have to go hide. But mostly I do OK.

I think my way works about as well as yours because: you just can't tell what kids are going to do when nobody's looking. You try to set a good example and teach them what you know, but then it's up to them. And I have seen many kids coming out of the same house that one is super bad, and the other is perfect. How does that happen?

As for the holding the door thing...I'm trying to teach mine that too. I am surprised at you though, for being very military and old fashioned enough to be holding doors for ladies, that you'd come in here and go after me full throttle. You'd like me in person though. I'm quite charming. Plus, I've been a nurse for almost 20 years...I'm pretty good at taming mean old men.:p

I will do better than agree to disagree, I must apologize. Clearly I jumped the gun. After 6 carnivals, where rules have gone by the wayside, we have gone on Princess. Much quieter and enjoyable to me. I look for trips on Carnival but we don't do big ships. We did Legend last year and enjoyed. Kudos to you and your efforts to develop productive functioning adults. My wife says I am getting old and cranky. She is a nurse as well and you have my instant respect. So again my apologies for being a dumbass, I get this way with no football. Best wishes.

I will do better than agree to disagree, I must apologize. Clearly I jumped the gun. After 6 carnivals, where rules have gone by the wayside, we have gone on Princess. Much quieter and enjoyable to me. I look for trips on Carnival but we don't do big ships. We did Legend last year and enjoyed. Kudos to you and your efforts to develop productive functioning adults. My wife says I am getting old and cranky. She is a nurse as well and you have my instant respect. So again my apologies for being a dumbass, I get this way with no football. Best wishes.

Apology accepted...and I'm sorry for calling you self-inflated. :D

If you self-disembark, you get to go earlier.

It was less of a wait if you had a passport. We do not, so we had to get in the long one.

For anyone else reading this review and thinking the debark lines are always long, this info by the OP is true. Self-debark is faster, especially with a passport. ;)

I know right? Carnival is kind enough to supply a venue for the trailer park variety. And they go ahead and let self-inflated morons on too! A cruise for everybody! Woohoo!

i applaud you for a brilliant come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also sailing the Magic again December 2. I was on her in April and that is ONE GREAT SHIP! :)

OP: thanks for your input. I loved the Magic and I love sailing out of Galveston. My only issue with Texans is on the football field when they play OU. :D

BOOMER SOONER!

OKWRITER: we have a roll call for the 12/2/12 cruise and a facebook page.. come join us. Pretty great group! :)

Rollcall- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1545803

Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/events/313763248699627/

So again my apologies for being a dumbass, I get this way with no football.

Truer words have never been spoken. No football and intense summer heat make me cranky and unbearable. Preseason is less than a month away!!

BOOMER SOONER!

That is awesome to know! :) hopefully I'll get the chance to meet ya! True Okie pride - Boomer Sooner!! Lol!

Archived