Is it possible to combine cruise & land vacation?

Grits53

Looking at the price of flying to Cozumel, I was thinking I could cruise there for less than that. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a 4 or 5 day cruise to Cozumel, debark at Cozumel and stay a few days until the ship returns on its next cruise. Then re-board the same ship for the trip back to the same port? And if so, would you be charged for 2 separate cruises?

This is a Carnival question, because I only cruise on Carnival....

I would think that if you pay for 2 cruises , it does not matter to Carnival if you are using the room the whole time. I would call them and ask- it is like a Back to Back cruise. I do see some issues with your gratuities, sign and sail card on the first leg since you would not be there to "check out". I would think if it is really that much cheaper for you it would be worth a call to Carnival to ask about it. Good Luck!

I wish they did something like that too. It'd be fun to sail to an island in the Carribean, stay a few days, then sail back to a home port. Make a sugestion to a CCL rep. But I doubt it would work unless you pd for both cruises. They would have an empty cabin for 1/2 of 2 cruises.

Yes, it is possible but you would need to purchase both cruises at full fares (will not be discounted because you're not on the ship continuously). I don't think it would be cheaper then flying then.

We have you penciled in as a pier-runner so I hardly think it will suffice for you to stay until the ship returns. At the least, I'd expect to pay fare for both cruises. Others have posted this before. Not exactly sure if anyone can begin their cruise from Coz, just because its not a normal embarkation point. I'd think one could find airfare or a package deal (air/hotel) to Coz., especially from Florida to the Gulf Coast.

I agree with the AI suggestion. Our TA found us an AI in Cancuun that included airfare. I would think this would be much cheaper than paying for 2 cruises. Beckymomof5 is right about checking in- I am not sure how that could possibly work either.

OK...I know about this first hand. Our niece wanted us to come to her destination wedding...IN COSUMEL! (We've been there so much on cruise ships that we should own vacation property there) The dates were just right so I asked Carnival if we could cruise to Coz, stay 4 days at an AI, and re-board when the ship came back--even if it meant paying for 2 cruises.

Their response was: "You are welcome to disembark at Cozumel but you cannot re-board another cruise to return to the United States."

So, we flew into Coz and flew back to the US after the Wedding. We did watch the cruise ships go by from the beach, however...DW would run to the waters edge shouting, "Wait for me!"

Like some people said not sure it would be cheaper that way even if it could be done. As you pay per-person for a cruise even a cheap inside room for a 3 or 4 day cruise probably cost $600-800 for one cruise depending on the time of year you go. If you paid for two cruises it would be double that to $1600 not to mention tips that are tact on to that. Its probably much cheap to buy an airline ticket and just fly to Cozumel.

Even though its the same ship its not same group of people that you embarked with. Beside there is the problem if the ship doesn't make port due to mechanical problems or weather. So are you willing to stay there for another 4-5 days?

Their response was: "You are welcome to disembark at Cozumel but you cannot re-board another cruise to return to the United States."

So, we flew into Coz and flew back to the US after the Wedding. We did watch the cruise ships go by from the beach, however...DW would run to the waters edge shouting, "Wait for me!"

That is not factual statement from Carnival. We had a person on our NCL Spirit cruise in 2007 get off in Cozumel and went inland to get married. A month later they returned to Cozumel and boarded the Fantasy to return to New Orleans.

Carnival does have policies in place that allows you to buy a partial cruise. But it is on a standby basis unless you purchase the full fare.

People board cruises back to the US all the time that have missed the initial embark by flying to the next port of call.

There is no policy or law that I am aware of that prohibits it. It is only when traveling from one US port to the next US port that it is not allowed.

Dave

I have seen a couple of threads on here where people have done this through Carnival. You would need to call carnival to see what dept handles this. You do have to pay for both separate cruises.

Why would it matter that you havent "checked in", when if you miss your embarkation you can fly to the next port to meet them.

Thanks for all the input. Looks like we will probably be flying to Cancun, because I got a deal on an AI there...except that it doesn't include air, so I will still have to book that. I'd so much rather go by cruise ship than air!!

Archived