Cunard new vantage fares, thank you Cunard

southwestie

We booked the Q308 cruise for next April a few weeks ago, taking advantage of the Jubilee discounts (10% then 5% plus other bits), so it seemed a good price at the time. (I like to book early because there are three of us, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get a three-person cabin later on). However this week I saw the prices have been further reduced in the Vantage brochure. Today I received a letter increasing our OBC to over $600, so it looks like we've been added to the scheme.

To me the Vantage prices look like good prices. At the time I booked, I searched the internet quite thoroughly and found everyone matched the Cunard price, so I'm not sure how some posters are getting much better prices, particularly now that travel agent discounts have been phased out which is why, I assume, they all now seem to offer identical prices. (When I refer to the Cunard price, I mean the website price rather than the brochure price, as the latter is always high.)

so I'm not sure how some posters are getting much better prices, particularly now that travel agent discounts have been phased out

If they had been phased out they would not be selling Cunard cruises: presumably they are not prepared to work for nothing. What is happening is that all sorts of offers are coming from agents we have never heard of, who may be willing to market offers for a greatly reduced discount and who run a very minimal service, possibly working from home or as an add on to an existing business.

David.

If they had been phased out they would not be selling Cunard cruises: presumably they are not prepared to work for nothing. What is happening is that all sorts of offers are coming from agents we have never heard of, who may be willing to market offers for a greatly reduced discount and who run a very minimal service, possibly working from home or as an add on to an existing business.

David.

I didn't mean phased out completely - I think I remember reading they were reduced from around 10 or 15% to 5%, so they could no longer pass them on. But I didn't know about all these new agents you mentioned - when searching I tend to stick to the well known travel agents, which is where I noticed they now are quoting identical prices to Cunard instead of the range of prices I saw last year.

Oliver

The UK agents have a similar price to Cunard, Cunard has reduced the commission by a lot to them,

the new Vantage prices come out on Monday , so we should then know what we get and how it works.

seems they have a lot of extras, OBC, parking etc

i know about the link, but thanks for sending to me, I used this and asked, they say the newer prices are out on Monday, so are they the same or less,

this does show that my booking at least gets a lower price offer, OBC

Interesting. Copied from that site:

The Price Promise applies to Vantage Fares published by Cunard, where the Vantage Fare on a holiday you have already booked has been reduced, and the new

Vantage Fare applies to the same voyage and grade of stateroom, sold under the same terms and conditions (such as the deposit and cancellation terms and whether

it is possible to select a stateroom number).

*The complimentary benefit applied shall be at the absolute discretion of Cunard. The Price Promise does not apply to our Getaway Fares; holiday add-ons; nor where

Cunard is not the tour operator selling the holiday. Cunard World Club loyalty benefits will continue to be applied but resultant fares are not classed as reduced

Vantage Fares and therefore cannot be referenced under the Price Promise. Complimentary benefits are non-refundable and non-transferable. Cancellation fees

assessed, on original fare of booking.

I changed the type from red to black as I thought it might be of interest to UK World Club members to note that World Club fares are not classified as Vantage Fares and therefore the Price Promise does not apply to WC fares - at least that's the way I read it.

Anyway, I hope this new scheme works out well for the cousins :) Cheers, -S.

*ing.

[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

I changed the type from red to black as I thought it might be of interest to UK World Club members to note that World Club fares are not classified as Vantage Fares and therefore the Price Promise does not apply to WC fares - at least that's the way I read

Yes, spot on. You have to book directly through Cunard (where does that leave TA's) And you can't receive the the WC discount and qualify for a Vantage rate.

Of course this limits options and takes away one of the WC benefits which many are keen on.

David.

Its confusing to say the least.

we booked our 2014 on the ship, had a discount and OBC, but it still is a Vantage fare,

But we have to wait until Monday to find out what we get it seems, extra OBC and a lower price, would be nice, however you can cancel and rebook, lose the deposit, it some cases its worth

With regard to the World Club, I'm a World Club member and have received the Vantage discount for my cruise next year, but then it wasn't eligible for the World Club discount since that no longer applies to every cruise.

The brochure gives the Vantage prices already, so you don't need to wait until Monday. For Q308, which I booked, the Cunard website still shows the basic balcony price as around 1500, but the Vantage price is 1329. In the letter I received yesterday, Cunard have already increased our OBC from 230 USD to 680 USD.

Oliver

With regard to the World Club, I'm a World Club member and have received the Vantage discount for my cruise next year, but then it wasn't eligible for the World Club discount since that no longer applies to every cruise.

The brochure gives the Vantage prices already, so you don't need to wait until Monday. For Q308, which I booked, the Cunard website still shows the basic balcony price as around 1500, but the Vantage price is 1329. In the letter I received yesterday, Cunard have already increased our OBC from 230 USD to 680 USD.

Oliver

olippold, that sounds like a very sweet deal. Will you also receive World Club member perks? I understand that the WC fare discount doesn't apply, but what about the perks...and does this voyage count towards your World Club Status?

What other benefits do you derive from Vantage prices - a choice of options, I believe?

Cheers,

Salacia

There is a choice of options depending on where you sail from or fly from, seems in the end they want everyone to have paid a similar price ???? except for anyone booking very last minute .

There is also an OBC from $80 per person added and other OBC deals on top.

It will be interesting to see what is what on Monday

olippold, that sounds like a very sweet deal. Will you also receive World Club member perks? I understand that the WC fare discount doesn't apply, but what about the perks...and does this voyage count towards your World Club Status?

What other benefits do you derive from Vantage prices - a choice of options, I believe?

Cheers,

Salacia

I believe all the other WC perks still apply.

There is a choice of options depending on where you sail from or fly from, seems in the end they want everyone to have paid a similar price ???? except for anyone booking very last minute .

There is also an OBC from $80 per person added and other OBC deals on top.

It will be interesting to see what is what on Monday

Yes it would be ethical if everyone paid the same price for the same cruise in the same grade of cabin, but according to Cunard USA that is not going to happen.

The new price system does not apply to the USA (and I presume Australia etc) at least that is the reply I received from Cunard here when I called. In fact Cunard USA was not even aware of the statement made by Mr Shanks!

I just cannot understand the so called business ideology of Cunard.

If two cabins of the same grade (next to each other) are booked for the same cruise, at the same time , the passengers pay a different price depending on which country or state they live in? They also receive different OBC from Cunard again based on where they live?

Whilst I am pleased for those in the UK who have already obtained these new prices and have found their OBC increasing by hundreds of USD, my own booking , ID (old D7) cabin inside on QM2 for 2013 which is costing me over $7,000 (solo) not only remains the same but my OBC is only $150, only $6 per day not even enough to pay the auto tip!

I will wait for a few days having sent and e mail to Cunard asking if I can expect a reduction in cost, if no reply or a refusal then obviously a cancellation of that trip is in order.

I know someone will flame me over this posting , but before they do I hope they will tell me which other "business" they know charges customers different prices for the same item bought at the same time because customer "A" lives in "X" and customer "B" pays a different price because they live in "Z"!

Yes it would be ethical if everyone paid the same price for the same cruise in the same grade of cabin, but according to Cunard USA that is not going to happen.

The new price system does not apply to the USA (and I presume Australia etc) at least that is the reply I received from Cunard here when I called. In fact Cunard USA was not even aware of the statement made by Mr Shanks!

If two cabins of the same grade (next to each other) are booked for the same cruise, at the same time , the passengers pay a different price depending on which country or state they live in? They also receive different OBC from Cunard again based on where they live?

This is not new. Prices for UK passengers have always been higher than those available to passengers who book in the US. I've sat with a US booklet and a UK booklet and done the math. Their prices are higher, AND they have less freedom to cancel than we do. I think people who book in Australia see fares even higher than those for UK passengers. The TA I use has lots of overseas passengers because of the price differences. No, it isn't fair, but it's what they do. The internet has made the differences more obvious and has given people access to discounts, but the cruise lines still charge different rates in different places.

As for different states, that price difference is usually due to targeted marketing. I was on a QE2 cruise one time where there were several busloads of passengers from Philadelphia on the cruise. They had paid rock-bottom prices because of a promotion on a Philly radio station. I know that I paid a lot more than they did, but I don't live in Philly, so I didn't get the cheap fare.

I believe all the other WC perks still apply.

Hi Olippold. Good! I was looking at the Vantage fares for some trans-Atlantic that include return air fare, and it seems like there are some very nice packages available on your side of the pond. It makes me happy to see loyal passengers getting a good deal. Enjoy!:) Cheers, -S.

I know someone will flame me over this posting , but before they do I hope they will tell me which other "business" they know charges customers different prices for the same item bought at the same time because customer "A" lives in "X" and customer "B" pays a different price because they live in "Z"!

A hotel in London charges more for an identical room than one in Barnley. A pint of bitter costs more in Oxford than it does in Liverpool. Even petrol (gas) is priced differently in different areas. And how much is gas in the USA?

Anyway who said life is fair?

David.

A hotel in London charges more for an identical room than one in Barnley. A pint of bitter costs more in Oxford than it does in Liverpool. Even petrol (gas) is priced differently in different areas. And how much is gas in the USA?

About half what it costs in the UK.

Anyway who said life is fair?

David.

If I had a nickel for every time my father said that to me, I could afford the world cruise in a penthouse! :D

Whilst I am pleased for those in the UK who have already obtained these new prices and have found their OBC increasing by hundreds of USD, my own booking , ID (old D7) cabin inside on QM2 for 2013 which is costing me over $7,000 (solo) not only remains the same but my OBC is only $150, only $6 per day not even enough to pay the auto tip!

I will wait for a few days having sent and e mail to Cunard asking if I can expect a reduction in cost, if no reply or a refusal then obviously a cancellation of that trip is in order.

We met a couple on our Jan.Panama trip. They paid over $5000/pp for a Princess suite. We paid $3600/pp for ours 2 years back. I can't believe the prices went up that much! If we booked a P-1 on the QV during the Panama trip, it would have cost us about $2800/pp.(quite a ridiculous savings compared to what this couple paid)Our Wheelchair room was larger than the P-1 were were offered on a supposedly "sold out" voyage. Our TA booked us the room due to it's size. Luckily no one handicapped needed it, or we would have been bumped to another A-1 room.

Today I had a further letter from Cunard. In it they apologise for making an error in their earlier letter notifying me of my fare reduction. They had quoted the reduction in US$ when it should have been UK£. Better and better!

I've just received a booklet from Cunard, itemising the new fares. Does anyone know what the words "the price promise does not apply if Cunard is not the tour operator selling the holiday" mean? Reading comments elsewhere, some believe this means that travel agent bookings will not be re-fared, but this seems an unlikely explanation.

Mary

I've just received a booklet from Cunard, itemising the new fares. Does anyone know what the words "the price promise does not apply if Cunard is not the tour operator selling the holiday" mean? Reading comments elsewhere, some believe this means that travel agent bookings will not be re-fared, but this seems an unlikely explanation.

Mary

Mary: There are some UK agencies who will block ship space and package it with their own hotels and air, etc. So in essence, the agency is selling a holiday package.

Hi all, first time poster here.

Anyway, we are thinking of doing a Cunard cruise (V314 - St. Petersberg and Baltic Explorer) in August 2013. Was wondering about booking too early, than saw the news about the new Vantage fares.

Anyway, looked up the fare today, and in the US, the fares have not changed. If I look at the fares through a UK based travel agent, the new Vantage fares are live (saving about $1000 per person for a Brittania Balcony Cabin).

Does anyone know if they are going to apply these fares worldwide? If not, why wouldn't everyone just book through a UK travel agent? Is there something preventing that option?

Thanks in advance!

James

Hi all, first time poster here.

Anyway, we are thinking of doing a Cunard cruise (V314 - St. Petersberg and Baltic Explorer) in August 2013. Was wondering about booking too early, than saw the news about the new Vantage fares.

Anyway, looked up the fare today, and in the US, the fares have not changed. If I look at the fares through a UK based travel agent, the new Vantage fares are live (saving about $1000 per person for a Brittania Balcony Cabin).

Does anyone know if they are going to apply these fares worldwide? If not, why wouldn't everyone just book through a UK travel agent? Is there something preventing that option?

Thanks in advance!

James

You have to book where you live as there are different terms and conditions by country.

Archived