Cunard new vantage fares, thank you Cunard

southwestie

Ah, so a UK based agent will not be able to take my booking then. Okay, I did not know that.

I still think they will have to apply these fares worldwide. Otherwise, there is no way I am booking a cabin when I know people in the UK are getting a 25% or better deal, plus the assurances of price drop protection. I am sure I am not the only one, and thus, their bookings from the US and other countries will have to drop if they do not match the price.

Ah, so a UK based agent will not be able to take my booking then. Okay, I did not know that.

I still think they will have to apply these fares worldwide. Otherwise, there is no way I am booking a cabin when I know people in the UK are getting a 25% or better deal, plus the assurances of price drop protection. I am sure I am not the only one, and thus, their bookings from the US and other countries will have to drop if they do not match the price.

I believe that US travel agents have a lot more leeway and can give a much more generous discounts/OBC than UK ones do, most UK people have tended to pay more up to now so maybe it is a balancing out. Also in the UK the rules are much tighter for cancelling. You are able to cancel without penalty, loss of deposit, we are on a percentage, day cancel system. If I book today for June 2013 and change my mind tomorrow I would lose myinitial deposit! As the cruise gets closer I would lose % wise more, our final payment date is 120 days from cruise start. I believe you make a "final commitment" very close to departure without ANY penalty.

Hi jhagler. My experience has been that when there is a price reduction prior to final payment date, I spoke to my travel agent and received the lower fare. To the best of my knowledge, price reductions prior to final payment is standard for US bookings. However, I haven't seen any of the special options on this side of the pond (such as free parking, free return airfare, etc.) available to UK passengers booking the Vantage Fare scheme

But regarding booking in a country other than the country of residence, I have read on this forum in the past that passengers residing in the UK have booked through US travel agents - so I'm confused by someone writing that it is not possible, but maybe it's a recent change. :confused: -S.

Interesting, thanks for the information.

I just sent an inquiry directly to Cunard to see if they plan on implementing the Vantage fares or something similar in the US market. I will let you know what I hear back, if anything.

I just sent an inquiry directly to Cunard to see if they plan on implementing the Vantage fares or something similar in the US market. I will let you know what I hear back, if anything.

Thank you, I'd be very interested in Cunard's reply.

I was a little confused by the letter that Cunard sent out.

I booked onboard the Queen Victoria in May for a cruise for 2013.

I received $250 in on-board credit and free car parking in Southampton. The Cunard letter said because of the price decrease I would be receiving $320 onboard credit in total.Checking the new fares today my cruise has decreased by nearly £200 which led me to think that I had only received an extra $70 credit which was very disappointing.

I called my travel agent this evening and she said that my credit was actually $250 plus $320 making a total of $570. So I am now a happy camper.

Well done Cunard for listening to us early bookers.

I believe that US travel agents have a lot more leeway and can give a much more generous discounts/OBC than UK ones do, most UK people have tended to pay more up to now so maybe it is a balancing out. Also in the UK the rules are much tighter for cancelling. You are able to cancel without penalty, loss of deposit, we are on a percentage, day cancel system. If I book today for June 2013 and change my mind tomorrow I would lose myinitial deposit! As the cruise gets closer I would lose % wise more, our final payment date is 120 days from cruise start. I believe you make a "final commitment" very close to departure without ANY penalty.

Hi Yorkiebargirl. I don't know enough about the terms and conditions in the UK to make a comparision between "generous discounts/OBC" offered in the UK as opposed to the US. But yes, bookings in the US can be cancelled without penalty (although some travel agents do charge a cancellation fee) prior to final payment. To the best of my knowledge, this is true of any booking on any cruise line.

For US bookings, final payment date varies, depending on the travel agent's requirements and the voyage booked. My personal experience has been that final payment is required approximately 100 days prior to departure (again, it varies depending on the voyage booked, but never has the cut-off been less than 90 days prior to sail date). I've found this to be the usual standard when booking in the US on various cruise lines. So, if I understand your post correctly, it would appear that final payment date in the UK is approximately 30 days earlier than it is in the US.

I believe there is also a difference (depending on which country the booking is made) in the amount of deposit required, as well as a difference in the terms and conditions of Future Cruise Credits purchased while on board.

Frankly, I don't know if things are balanced out or not; they just are what they are. Regards, -S.

It seems to me that notwithstanding the Vantage system, if you book early using it you will end up paying a lot more than those who watched and waited, and grabbed the late special "guarantee" deals;

But Vantage is better than non-Vantage for those UK customers who want to ensure particular accommodation - but once they have booked (UK) they cannot cancel without loss of deposit at least

D

Have been looking at prices for Nov 2013 with a Pre Voyage stay at the Hilton Southampton with Transfer, Yesterday it was £89 a night PP, today it is £185 and listed as Hilton Southampton Euro Wit, anyone know what the Euro Wit part means ?.

Also the Online booking form has a new and slightly confusing add-on after you do a Voyage search and select Voyage Only or Fly - Voyage, ( I selected Fly - Voyage) on the second page it then asks

Voyage Only including Complimentary On board Credit or

Voyage plus flights including Complimentary On board Credit.

What is the difference? If I select Voyage only at this point does it cancel out my original Fly -Voyage selection, I don't want to select the Voyage plus flights including Complimentary On board Credit if it means the Deals I get are on things like Airport Parking etc, rather than ship based as I would not use Parking.

Steve

For US bookings, final payment date varies, depending on the travel agent's requirements and the voyage booked. My personal experience has been that final payment is required approximately 100 days prior to departure (again, it varies depending on the voyage booked, but never has the cut-off been less than 90 days prior to sail date). I've found this to be the usual standard when booking in the US on various cruise lines. So, if I understand your post correctly, it would appear that final payment date in the UK is approximately 30 days earlier than it is in the US.

I believe there is also a difference (depending on which country the booking is made) in the amount of deposit required, as well as a difference in the terms and conditions of Future Cruise Credits purchased while on board.

Frankly, I don't know if things are balanced out or not; they just are what they are. Regards, -S.

As far as we can read in to this it is starting to move someway towards what the US have enjoyed for far too long. We still, as mentioned else where don't have the excellent cancellation deal afforded to you as in the States.

We have been considering booking part of a World cruise for a number of years and have watched as 16 weeks before sailing the 'getaway' fares come out booked on a guarantee stateroom basis. In early May this year talking to a Cunard booking agent we were offered a good discount over brochure price and to choose our stateroom so we took up the offer. This year first week of July Cunard launched the Getaway fares nearly six months before sailing makes our booking and loyalty to Cunard a bit battered! we do not come under the new Vantage scheme if we cancel and rebook would lose over £1200 :mad:

PARTIAL QUOTE

...As far as we can read in to this it is starting to move someway towards what the US have enjoyed for far too long.... :mad:

Hi Officeboy. Excuse me please, but I don't understand what you mean by "the US have enjoyed for far too long". Are you suggesting that Cunard needs to correct conditions that have gone on for "far too long"? If so, you might want to do some research as to exactly what the terms and conditions are for US bookings, as required both by law and cruise line industry standards. And then compare those laws/standards to what exists in your country.

I've asked several times on this forum if Cunard terms and conditions regarding booking/cancellation is outside of the norm in the UK. If anyone responded, I missed that reply.As I have already mentioned, to the best of my knowledge, Cunard follows the minimal standard conditions for US bookings regarding Cunard's cancellation policy.

Bottom line: anyone who has a problem the terms of booking including:deposit, cancellation policy, passenger contract, and dress code, then he or she should take it on the arches and secure a more acceptable voyage. Just my personal opinion ;) Regards,

S.

Edited to add: the "guote" function had a malfunction, but I trust that you will understand after following the thread. -S.

Firstly US terms and conditions runs to 5 pages UK T & C run to 17, included in that the US Cancellation by you: 6. CANCELLATION BY YOU, REFUND AND YOUR TRAVEL AGENT.

You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit except as otherwise provided in this Section. Any refunds will be made directly to Your credit card account or Your travel agent and You must receive Your refund directly from these sources. You may cancel by telephone or electronic advice via a Carrier-approved Computer Reservation System, provided Carrier immediately receives written confirmation of cancellation. In such case cancellation shall be deemed effective as of the close of business Pacific Standard Time on the date You communicated such cancellation. The following cancellation policy applies with respect to Your Voyage Fare, Land & Sea Holiday Fare, air add-ons, Shoreside Excursions, and Pre-Voyage and Post-Voyage Package charges (“full fare”):

Voyage Length less than 40 days

Number of Days before Sailing

Cancellation Fee

120 to 91

None

90 to 61

25% of full fare

60 to 31

50% of full fare

30 to 15

75% of full fare

14 days or less, or non appearance

100% of full fare

Voyage Length 40+ days

Cancellation Fee

120 to 91

25% of full fare

90 to 61

50% of full fare

60 days or less, or non appearance

75% of full fare

Note: Policies may vary for World Cruise voyages; visit www.cunard.com and/or review applicable brochures for details.

The UK:

CANCELLATION BY THE GUEST

38. The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior to the commencement of the Package via their travel agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling our Reservations Department, but in that event Cunard shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the fare paid in accordance with the following scales.

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Cancellation charges

(percentage of fare 15%)

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

Deposit

90 to 57 days

50%

56 to 42 days

60%

41 to 16 days

75%

15 to 6 days

90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark.

For fly-voyages, departure day is the date of the flight departure.

100%

28 to 15 days

15% voyage credit

14 to 0 days

20% voyage credit

Because of the risk free cancellations up to 91 days you are able to take advantage of any deals that better your original booking, we on the other hand once booked especially if one requires a certain stateroom will forfeit the 15% deposit. So this new vantage fare goes some way towards parity.

Price Promise means that you can secure your booking early with confidence, safe in the knowledge that if we were to reduce the Vantage Fares for your cruise, we guarantee to automatically pass on the value of the saving to you i.e. complimentary benefit such as on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of any reduction. NOT CANCEL AND POCKET THE DIFFERENCE Booking deposit is reduced to 10%

Just a quick update. It has been about 48 hours since I sent the inquiry to Cunard, and I have not heard anything back at all.

officeboy - your quotes confirm the position as I have long understood it, that is, if US customers cancel before final balance payment there is no penalty but if UK customers cancel in the same timescale they currently lose 15%. This is considered by many in the UK (also in Australia) to be unfair. It goes some way to explaining why cabins previously showing as booked become available around the three month prior to departure time or later. Sadly, we in the UK are unable to do this without losing out financially. As the policy is much the same for many cruiselines, taking our business to another cruiseline would not avoid this scenario. I know that this is the way it is but many feel it is not the way is should be and does tend to stick in the craw. Nevertheless we enjoy our cruises even with this unfairness.

Firstly US terms and conditions runs to 5 pages UK T & C run to 17, included in that the US Cancellation by you: 6. CANCELLATION BY YOU, REFUND AND YOUR TRAVEL AGENT.

You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit except as otherwise provided in this Section. Any refunds will be made directly to Your credit card account or Your travel agent and You must receive Your refund directly from these sources. You may cancel by telephone or electronic advice via a Carrier-approved Computer Reservation System, provided Carrier immediately receives written confirmation of cancellation. In such case cancellation shall be deemed effective as of the close of business Pacific Standard Time on the date You communicated such cancellation. The following cancellation policy applies with respect to Your Voyage Fare, Land & Sea Holiday Fare, air add-ons, Shoreside Excursions, and Pre-Voyage and Post-Voyage Package charges (“full fare”):

Voyage Length less than 40 days

Cancellation Fee

120 to 91

None

90 to 61

25% of full fare

60 to 31

50% of full fare

30 to 15

75% of full fare

14 days or less, or non appearance

100% of full fare

Voyage Length 40+ days

Cancellation Fee

120 to 91

25% of full fare

90 to 61

50% of full fare

60 days or less, or non appearance

75% of full fare

Note: Policies may vary for World Cruise voyages; visit www.cunard.com and/or review applicable brochures for details.

The UK:

CANCELLATION BY THE GUEST

38. The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior to the commencement of the Package via their travel agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling our Reservations Department, but in that event Cunard shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the fare paid in accordance with the following scales.

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Cancellation charges

(percentage of fare 15%)

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

Deposit

90 to 57 days

50%

56 to 42 days

60%

41 to 16 days

75%

15 to 6 days

90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark.

For fly-voyages, departure day is the date of the flight departure.

100%

28 to 15 days

15% voyage credit

14 to 0 days

20% voyage credit

Because of the risk free cancellations up to 91 days you are able to take advantage of any deals that better your original booking, we on the other hand once booked especially if one requires a certain stateroom will forfeit the 15% deposit. So this new vantage fare goes some way towards parity.

Price Promise means that you can secure your booking early with confidence, safe in the knowledge that if we were to reduce the Vantage Fares for your cruise, we guarantee to automatically pass on the value of the saving to you i.e. complimentary benefit such as on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of any reduction. NOT CANCEL AND POCKET THE DIFFERENCE Booking deposit is reduced to 10%

Yes, thanks, I understand. I guess my question wasn't clear: I was wondering if Cunard UK policy was very different from other UK cruise lines. (Subsequently, 2irisheyes indicated that the policy "is much the same for many cruiselines".) My understanding is that Cunard policy in the US is also pretty much the same as other cruise lines. So while some feel that Cunard is unfair in their UK policy compared with Cunard US policy, is not the difference in policy due to cruise line standards and/or local law? If laws need to be changed to make things more equitable, then perhaps efforts should be made in that direction rather than negative comments directed towards countries with more favourable regulations?

Regards,

Salacia

Hello Salacia - My comments (factual) were not directed towards a country (or its people in general) but towards companies, in this case the cruiselines. I feel sure that if Americans paid more than British and Australian passengers for the same cruise, a few "negative" comments might appear on these boards. This is just my opinion. I don't lose sleep over it but any improvement is welcome.

Hello Salacia - My comments (factual) were not directed towards a country (or its people in general) but towards companies, in this case the cruiselines. I feel sure that if Americans paid more than British and Australian passengers for the same cruise, a few "negative" comments might appear on these boards. This is just my opinion. I don't lose sleep over it but any improvement is welcome.

Hi 2irisheyes. I appreciated your response as it answered a question I have been wondering about for some time regarding whether the terms of bookings were fairly consistant across cruise lines in the UK. I certainly didn't find your comments to be negative.

Actually, sometimes UK residents do pay less than American passengers. It's often a question of when the booking was made, not just where it was made. And sometimes UK passengers get perks that aren't offered to American passengers, i.e. free return airfare, children sail free, and free parking. But like you, I don't lose sleep over it either. As I've mentioned before, I'm happy when loyal passengers get a good deal, wherever or whenever they book :)

Cheers,

Salacia

And sometimes UK passengers get perks that aren't offered to American passengers, i.e. free return airfare, children sail free, and free parking. But like you, I don't lose sleep over it either.

As far as I understand it, free parking is a perk for booking early. If you book later on a discounted fare, the free parking disappears. So really you have paid for your "free parking".

Kids go Free are limited to the following cruises. I think these are all in term time so not really helpful.

QE - 23rd May and 9th December 2012

QV - 29th June and 3rd October 2012

QM2 - All roundtrip TA's in 2012

We promise to automatically give you a complimentary benefit such as on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of any reduction in fare.

The complimentary benefit applied shall be at the absolute discretion of Cunard Line.

I am also one of the cynical ones if it’s Cunard who decide which of the above benefits one gets. If it’s an “upgrade” from a lower deck to an upper deck, it means nothing to me.

I have just done some cabin availability on a couple of cruises for next year (April and July) with two online travel agents. They were only showing availability on deck 8 for categories BC and BA. Are decks 4, 5, 6 and 7 being held back for upgrades from CA category (partial obstruction) on deck 5?

Kids go Free are limited to the following cruises. I think these are all in term time so not really helpful.

QE - 23rd May and 9th December 2012

QV - 29th June and 3rd October 2012

QM2 - All roundtrip TA's in 2012

We've been on two Cunard cruises in 2010 and 2011 where we've taken advantage of the Kids Go Free offer. Both of these were in August, so right in the middle of the holidays. At the time there were a lotr of cruises offering Kids Go Free, with a large number of them during holidays. It's only in the latest brochure where they've drastically cut them down and (cynically?) consigned them to term time. It's a shame as it was a great offer.

The business of the benefit being at the discretion of the cruiseline (both with

Cunard and P&O) bothers me. As I am a light sleeper we try our best to have a cabin where there is less chance of being bothered by noise. If we were to be upgraded as the benefit, it could be that the cabin is in a worse position as far as we are concerned for example it would be considered an upgrade from an inside or ocean view to a balcony cabin but an interconnecting balcony cabin would not please us nor would one at the very front of the ship or high deck in rough seas. Being a cynic, it seems to me that this could be a way of the cruiseline juggling cabin allocations to suit themselves rather than suiting the passengers. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in practice.

I think what Cunard (and other cruise lines) are trying to do with these new schemes is to avoid having to discount fares closer to sail date by filling the ship at close as possible to full fare prior to final payment date. I see the potential for initial success, but will it work in the long run?

Like many others, I plan my holidays in advance. Last year, I looked at three possible QM2 voyages in 2012, but the fare was more than I was willing to pay. So I booked two voyages with another cruise line. Subsequently, the QM2 fares were dramatically reduced closer to sail date, often a cost thousands of dollars less than the initial fare I was quoted. Personally, I think the initial fares were set unreasonably high, and that is why the ship didn't fill - creating the necessity for severe reductions after final payment date (to late to be of any advantage for those who planned and paid for their cruises at final payment date, and of little value to those who would need to make last minute flight arrangments to/from port).

The same scenario is playing out with the QM2 voyages I'm considering for 2013. As others have mentioned, it will be interesting to see if Cunard is able to retain loyal past passengers, and how successful the new scheme will in the long run.

I think what Cunard (and other cruise lines) are trying to do with these new schemes is to avoid having to discount fares closer to sail date by filling the ship at close as possible to full fare prior to final payment date. I see the potential for initial success, but will it work in the long run?

Salacia

We in Aussie are not part of this new scheme - but we are getting what appear to me to be good deals . eg sailings in Feb/March next year on QV, QE and QM2 ( mostly in this part of the world) - pay for a inside cabin at a reduced price and get an automatic upgrade to a balcony. Unfortunately for us, it means a flight as well. I noted 20 days on the QV San Francisco to Sydney for $1400AUD for a balcony cabin. Pretty good seeing as how we paid $200 per day(each) for an inside for our recent cruises.

But now that we have experienced all 3 Cunard Queens, I don't believe we have a need to do any of them again - I don't have enough time to experience all the other wonderful cruiseships and places of the world to do something twice :)

Barry

Like many others, I plan my holidays in advance. Last year, I looked at three possible QM2 voyages in 2012, but the fare was more than I was willing to pay. So I booked two voyages with another cruise line. Subsequently, the QM2 fares were dramatically reduced closer to sail date, often a cost thousands of dollars less than the initial fare I was quoted. Personally, I think the initial fares were set unreasonably high, and that is why the ship didn't fill - creating the necessity for severe reductions after final payment date (to late to be of any advantage for those who planned and paid for their cruises at final payment date, and of little value to those who would need to make last minute flight arrangments to/from port).

The same scenario is playing out with the QM2 voyages I'm considering for 2013. As others have mentioned, it will be interesting to see if Cunard is able to retain loyal past passengers, and how successful the new scheme will in the long run.

We also plan far in advance for our trips...we want our trip to Italy next July to kick off with an eastbound TA on QM2, and we are a bit shocked at the cost. We really want to do it, though, and for the first time ever, we're seriously considering inside cabins (family of 4, so 2 cabins) just to save a bit. We are used to paying closer to $1,200 pp and that's for a balcony (the TA we want is $1,499 for outside). So, yeah, kind of re-thinking things.

We promise to automatically give you a complimentary benefit such as on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of any reduction in fare.

The complimentary benefit applied shall be at the absolute discretion of Cunard Line.

I am also one of the cynical ones if it’s Cunard who decide which of the above benefits one gets. If it’s an “upgrade” from a lower deck to an upper deck, it means nothing to me.

I have just done some cabin availability on a couple of cruises for next year (April and July) with two online travel agents. They were only showing availability on deck 8 for categories BC and BA. Are decks 4, 5, 6 and 7 being held back for upgrades from CA category (partial obstruction) on deck 5?

I have talked with a travel agent, as well as checking availability on Cunard.com, and I'm a bit surprised at the (lack of) availability a year out! This is our first experience with Cunard, do the ships fill that quickly??

Archived