Cunard new vantage fares, thank you Cunard

southwestie

Salacia

We in Aussie are not part of this new scheme - but we are getting what appear to me to be good deals . eg sailings in Feb/March next year on QV, QE and QM2 ( mostly in this part of the world) - pay for a inside cabin at a reduced price and get an automatic upgrade to a balcony. Unfortunately for us, it means a flight as well. I noted 20 days on the QV San Francisco to Sydney for $1400AUD for a balcony cabin. Pretty good seeing as how we paid $200 per day(each) for an inside for our recent cruises.

But now that we have experienced all 3 Cunard Queens, I don't believe we have a need to do any of them again - I don't have enough time to experience all the other wonderful cruiseships and places of the world to do something twice :)

Barry

Hi Barry. I agree, that is a sweet deal! Did you check out what the cost would be with Cunard airfare? Now that you have an such extensive wardrobe of formal clothes approved by the Cunard Fashion Police, it would be a shame if you didn't get more use of those fancy threads :D

As one example of what I'm seeing in this part of the world: the QM2 NY/Canada 11 day cruise in Sept 2012 is currently being offered by my travel agent for $3,481 for TWO, Cat B5 guarantee, plus $150pp OBC.

Compare that with the same voyage (12 days) in Sept 2013, same category (which will then be called Cat BD) cost: $7,718 for two, plus $150 total OBC. That's a $4,237 difference for one more sea day! :eek:

Anyway, I understand what you mean about experiencing new ships and new destinations. Unfortunately, our vacation time is limited - so until retirement, our choices are somewhat restricted. Cheers, -S.

As one example of what I'm seeing in this part of the world: the QM2 NY/Canada 11 day cruise in Sept 2012 is currently being offered by my travel agent for $3,481 for TWO, Cat B5 guarantee, plus $150pp OBC.

I've just done a search for that cruise and it is £2,814pp for B5 guarantee. For two people that is £5,628 ($8,863).

For the 12 day next year in September I'm seeing £3,909pp Oceanview and £4,009 for AA but no other balcony shown. Cruise only prices in both cases.

I have talked with a travel agent, as well as checking availability on Cunard.com, and I'm a bit surprised at the (lack of) availability a year out! This is our first experience with Cunard, do the ships fill that quickly??

Not in my experience. One of the cruises I mentioned above was for the QE in Norway. Cunard does quite a few Norway cruises each year so there's plenty of availability until nearer the time.

CarolynK,

In one of my posts I mentioned that "sold out" often does not mean "sold out". I was told my cruise was sold out only to find out that it was being offered at a lower cost for a better grade of cabin by another travel agent.

If I were you I would consult another travel agent. I very much doubt that any cruise will be "sold out" a year in advance.

Good luck

Lynn

Leaving aside the cost (whether UK passengers pay more than USA or Australia paying more than either of these -not going to touch that prickly subject) I do feel that the other aspect of Mr Shanks message could and should apply to all passengers regardless of where they reside.

Namely, the guarantee that if Cunard drop the price before final payment all passengers will get the new price, or compensation of OBC or better type of cabin .

At the moment it seems only passengers in the UK have this guarantee. I HATE all that "small print", which often seems like goggledegook , requiring one to be a lawyer to decypher how it affects you personally.

Leaving aside the cost (whether UK passengers pay more than USA or Australia paying more than either of these -not going to touch that prickly subject) I do feel that the other aspect of Mr Shanks message could and should apply to all passengers regardless of where they reside.

Namely, the guarantee that if Cunard drop the price before final payment all passengers will get the new price, or compensation of OBC or better type of cabin .

At the moment it seems only passengers in the UK have this guarantee. I HATE all that "small print", which often seems like goggledegook , requiring one to be a lawyer to decypher how it affects you personally.

I thought everyone in the US already got a price drop or OBC if the price goes down, according to posts that I have read on here. And this new price promise is to bring UK customers more in line with the US.

I am very sceptical about this though because the way it reads is that Cunard will most probably just give people an upgrade, i.e. from a lower deck to a higher deck which to me is not an upgrade.

I thought everyone in the US already got a price drop or OBC if the price goes down, according to posts that I have read on here. And this new price promise is to bring UK customers more in line with the US.

I am very sceptical about this though because the way it reads is that Cunard will most probably just give people an upgrade, i.e. from a lower deck to a higher deck which to me is not an upgrade.

US passengers can get a price adjustment if the fare decreases prior to final payment. I book through a travel agent, and I have to contact my travel agent and request a price adjustment. There has been at least one occasion where I noticed a price drop on the Cunard website, and phoned my travel agent for an adjustment. But Cunard did not adjust the rate because by the time my travel agent reached Cunard, the price had increased.

Anyway, sizeable fare reductions - if there are to be any, most often occur after final payment date; in which case, I have not received either a price adjustment or an OBC (maybe others have better luck?).

BTW, I agree that often an upgrade isn't an upgrade, and an OBC often is not adequate compensation for those passengers who would rather pay less for their fare than spend more on-board.

BTW, I agree that often an upgrade isn't an upgrade, and an OBC often is not adequate compensation for those passengers who would rather pay less for their fare than spend more on-board.

OBC is a Very Cunning Plan; the bar/excursion/whatever mark-ups are such that it must cost Cunard considerably less than simply refunding dosh.

Once, on a Fred Olsen cruise, we were all given £50 OBC in lieu of a reduction in the fuel surcharge (a cunning plan worthy of my late cat as we had all paid in cash, not in goods or services); one couple we met complained that it was worthless to them as they never spent anything on board:eek:.

Mary

OBC is a Very Cunning Plan; the bar/excursion/whatever mark-ups are such that it must cost Cunard considerably less than simply refunding dosh.

Once, on a Fred Olsen cruise, we were all given £50 OBC in lieu of a reduction in the fuel surcharge (a cunning plan worthy of my late cat as we had all paid in cash, not in goods or services); one couple we met complained that it was worthless to them as they never spent anything on board:eek:.

Mary

Not even their tips:D

CarolynK,

In one of my posts I mentioned that "sold out" often does not mean "sold out". I was told my cruise was sold out only to find out that it was being offered at a lower cost for a better grade of cabin by another travel agent.

If I were you I would consult another travel agent. I very much doubt that any cruise will be "sold out" a year in advance.

Good luck

Lynn

Thanks for the advice! It's an agency we've used many times before...though we always like to get more than one quote.

I've just done a search for that cruise and it is £2,814pp for B5 guarantee. For two people that is £5,628 ($8,863).

For the 12 day next year in September I'm seeing £3,909pp Oceanview and £4,009 for AA but no other balcony shown. Cruise only prices in both cases.

Ray, is that $8,863 for 2, Cat B5 Guarantee on the 11 day NY/Canada cruise this September? If so that's some kind of crazy!!!:eek:

Ray, is that $8,863 for 2, Cat B5 Guarantee on the 11 day NY/Canada cruise this September? If so that's some kind of crazy!!!:eek:

Yes. Unfortunately the New England cruise is always expensive for us in the UK. I've looked many times.

Category B guarantee is £2,814pp, A4 is £2,734pp ($4,291). The online TA says airfare not included. Cunard's website says from £2,734pp with airfare, £2,274pp ($3,570) without. Cunard are also showing a Getaway fare at £2,099pp ($3,295).

£2,814 = £255 per night ($400)

£2,099 = £190 per night ($298)

UK fares include tax and fuel supplement.

Yes. Unfortunately the New England cruise is always expensive for us in the UK. I've looked many times.

Category B guarantee is £2,814pp, A4 is £2,734pp ($4,291). The online TA says airfare not included. Cunard's website says from £2,734pp with airfare, £2,274pp ($3,570) without. Cunard are also showing a Getaway fare at £2,099pp ($3,295).

Very interesting, shows very clearly that trying to price a cruise requires a degree not only in maths, but in sleight of hand magic.

USA prices in brochure (and many Travel agents ads ) do not include Gvnt Taxes, and often with agents do not include Port Taxes, and of course never disclose the solo supplement.What is even more interesting is that when a cruise line announces 2 for 1 fares, if you are a solo and you call for a price you will be told that the offer does not include solo passengers -even with the supplement , they have to pay brochure price plus supplement.

In one instance I was quoted an additional $1200 in Taxes for a Transatlantic which only had Southampton as a port from 7a.m to 5p.m , this on top of fare plus supplement. The agent involved told me that as a solo I had to pay Gvnt Tax and Port Tax for 2 people as these were assessed per cabin not per passenger, and a cabin is always double occupancy.

Also even if the price drops before final payment , there is often a clause that does not allow a passenger already booked to qualify for the the lower price,(if you cancel you will not be allowed to rebook).

Ray, it doesn't make sense to me that UK passengers wouldn't get better pricing than what Cunard is currently offering. Also considering that the 11 day NewEngland/Canada cruise is sandwiched between r/t trans-Atlantics - and currently there is availablity on all three voyages - seems to me that it would profitable for Cunard to have a special price offering for those booking the full 25 day voyage r/t Southampton :confused: Regards, -S.

I agree. Who in their right mind wants to be on deck 10 right at the front in stormy seas. Will those "upgraded" ha ha have any choice in the matter I wonder. Am I really that cynical - yes, I know I am.

Our last two crossings we waited for the Getaway fares. We looked over the QM2 schedule, picked the T/A that best fit our work schedule and waited. This year (we just got off the ship yesterday) and 2 years ago we got a B3 cabin with a great fare and an OBC. Last year we couldn't find a fare we liked and just did something else that week. The Getaway fares are usually best a few days after the last payment date. They are non-refundable and you have to pay-in-full when you book the voyage.

The kicker is one-way airfare. This year we booked a one-way nonstop Virgin flight through Cunard. It was about 1/3 cheaper than what we could find on the travel websites. But it was almost the same price p/p as the crossing.

If you're willing to risk not getting on the ship the getaway fares can't be beat.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I being too cynical about the much lauded Vantage fares? Admittedly there are advantages but let's not forget that for Cunard old timers we have lost the five per cent reduction. My booking for the fjords on QV in June will cost £2400; there is no five per cent reduction (£120) but an onboard spend of $160 dollars (around £100) or free parking at Southampton (around £80). And what has happened to Cunard's World Club? It's all very baffling!!

Baffling is correct.

Although most posters assume that in the USA we get the reduction if the price drops, that is not necessarily true, Cunard have a clause called "re fare" in which the lower price is available , but if they simply reduce the price and say "for new bookings" then we do not get the reduction, and we are barred from cancelling and re booking.

Guess how often the "for new bookings" is the wording rather than "re fare"?

Plus of course you have to have an agent who is willing to contact Cunard on your behalf, since it affects their commission!

OBC ! Someone wrote that Cunard can give OBC instead of a reduced fare, Well how about this for a rip off. I had booked the hotel/transport from airport package. No one met me at airport , no transport, I waited and waited, then took a cab, obtained a receipt. (at Hotel no booking for room, more hassle, Cunard had forgotten to make the bookings)

After boarding went to Purser desk with receipts, asking that the money be refunded to my credit card. Spent 4 days "argybargy" with Pursers desk, who claimed Cunard had no obligation to refund me the money I had paid them for the hotel/transport package even though they had not provided the service!

Finally they agreed to give me back the money but only as an OBC which of course had to be spent on board!

• 1 month later...
I agree. Who in their right mind wants to be on deck 10 right at the front in stormy seas. Will those "upgraded" ha ha have any choice in the matter I wonder. Am I really that cynical - yes, I know I am.

I've been thinking about these Vantage fares again and agree with what you say.

So, you book a hull balcony on the QM2 for a T/A. You ask for no upgrade because you want to have a sheltered balcony and not a glass-fronted one.

The fare is reduced nearer the time and under Cunard's Vantage scheme, you should get an upgrade or OBC. Cunard say this choice is at their discretion i.e. you're most likely to get an upgrade. But you don't want an upgrade. I wonder what they would do? Are they then obliged to give you OBC?

I've been thinking about these Vantage fares again and agree with what you say.

So, you book a hull balcony on the QM2 for a T/A. You ask for no upgrade because you want to have a sheltered balcony and not a glass-fronted one.

The fare is reduced nearer the time and under Cunard's Vantage scheme, you should get an upgrade or OBC. Cunard say this choice is at their discretion i.e. you're most likely to get an upgrade. But you don't want an upgrade. I wonder what they would do? Are they then obliged to give you OBC?

What if your booking is marked "do not upgrade?" Would they upgrade you anyhow?

The price for my crossing just went down (after final payment). I'm going to call Cunard to see what they'll do for me. (I'm in the US, so the Vantage program doesn't affect me) In the past, my TA took care of this, but I booked this one directly with Cunard. I've got a sheltered balcony for a TA, and I really don't want to upgrade to a glass balcony. My cabin is low, midships, and sheltered and I want to stay that way. But I'd love to get a price drop or OBC.

I have been away from the board for a while on QM2, I have written several comments on various thread re the craziness of Cunard pricing, but this last cruise really "boggled " my mind.

First I booked a year before the cruise date, paid full brochure fare (yes I know I am stupid to do that), my Gty cabin proved to be over the theatre and between both the laundry and a service area with carts, pots pans and staff shouting all day into late hours in the evening. Weeks before, when I had realised the location of my cabin I had asked my agent to help me get another cabin to be told "The cruise is fully sold out , has been for months , nothing can be done" By the way that is a polite phrasing of the actual reply!

So as anyone can understand I was not a happy cruiser.

Once on board I realised that there were a great many Northern/Western UK passengers, talking about the wonderful deals they had received. I decided to ask a a few questions.

The cruise had NOT been fully sold out in fact Cunard were desperate to sell the cruise. So desperate, they mounted an aggressive sales scheme.

For HALF the price I had paid, the passengers from Glasgow (Scotland), received a special cunard cruise only train to take them to Southampton , included was lunch and dinner on the train, a bus to take them for one night stay in Southampton, breakfast next morning , transport to ship and Balcony cabins.

At end of cruise a bus took them to the station, again a special train took them back north with lunch and dinner on the train !!!! All this for HALF the price I had to pay just for my cabin only !

I asked my questions of a number of people and always got the same answers, Pasengers fron Wales had a special bus to convey them to the ship in place of the train.

How crazy was this?

By the way although the passengers were mostly first time cruisers, many of them were living in "assisted living complexes " because of poor health, (and some were in extreme need of assistance they were so "frail") so please do not tell me this was to gain more "up and coming passengers"

Archived