Klondike Express 26 glaciers cruise before cruise

FunShipCruiser05

Leaves 12:30pm and returns 5:30pm

that sounds like its good for pre-cruise, than the cruise leaves at 8:30pm.

I came across this website http://www.phillipscruises.com and I swear I read about this cruise somewhere else for prince williams sound on another website and through these forums. Is this the same excursion? Has anyone done this?

Sounds awesome for 139.00 for 5 hours. and food/drinks included on the trip.

thanks for input!

well it is one or the other.. do this tour or get a rental car, go to the conservatory and see wildlife, and other sightseeing, lunch on our own, on the way to whittier for a hundred bucks less than this prince williams sound tour for 2 people. Considering I have 2 glacier sightseeing days on the cruise, and doing misty fjords and skagway glacier discovery.. I think ill see plenty of glaciers to skip out on prince williams sound and not regret. Especially since have glacier bay in the itinerary

well it is one or the other.. do this tour or get a rental car, go to the conservatory and see wildlife, and other sightseeing, lunch on our own, on the way to whittier for a hundred bucks less than this prince williams sound tour for 2 people. Considering I have 2 glacier sightseeing days on the cruise, and doing misty fjords and skagway glacier discovery.. I think ill see plenty of glaciers to skip out on prince williams sound and not regret. Especially since have glacier bay in the itinerary

You won't see any glaciers like those in Prince William Sound with either the Misty Fjords trip or the Skagway Glacier Discovery. Those in the sound are active tidewater glaciers which often calve in spectacular fashion. The area is also quite different than Glacier Bay.

While the Alaska Conservation Center is interesting, I'd rather see wildlife in the open vs. a drive-through zoo. Just an opinion;)

The klondike express is the name of one of the phillips cruises boats.

There is no "klondike express 26 glacier tour". It is phillips cruises tour on the klondike express (although they h ave another vessel as well).

Sounds like you made your decision. On my first Alaska cruise I did College Fjords, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and a Kenai Fjords tour. I opted to skip the PWS tour because I felt I might be all boated out. :eek: Turns out I couldn't get enough of the amazing and breathtaking scenery that Alaska offered, and wished we had booked a PWS tour post-cruise.

We ended up heading back to Alaska three years later so we could experience more of Alaska and that time did fit in a PWS tour. It was another awesome day in Alaska's wilderness. It is hard to know until you experience it how you will feel about so many scenic tours. For me, I learned I can't get enough of Alaska's wilderness, especially on boat tours. Truly an amazing place!!!

You won't see any glaciers like those in Prince William Sound with either the Misty Fjords trip or the Skagway Glacier Discovery. Those in the sound are active tidewater glaciers which often calve in spectacular fashion. The area is also quite different than Glacier Bay.

While the Alaska Conservation Center is interesting, I'd rather see wildlife in the open vs. a drive-through zoo. Just an opinion;)

I really appreciate your view! It might sway me back. Not saying I am taking one's opinion on here as to what I do but I am trying to maximize the dollar. I read so much on here about the scenic stuff and the aleyska or whatever its called you can visit while driving to whittier, aside from the conservation center which is supposed to be one its kind in the country from what people say on here. and I love wildlife. Im just so skeptical how much wildlife ill see out in the open being on so many glacier tours. Say if I do PWS, Skagway, and Misty Fjords. I do have Misty Fjords booked already. Skagway is next if I can decide how to get to Temsco from the cruise ship. The ship has all glacier tours listed as a waitlist so im not counting on ship availability.

But, I am looking at your insight on PWS as I google up some more stuff about PWS and it does make sense. But I do fear being all glaciered out, because after all, glacier bay is an experience of a lifetime for those wanting to see a glacier park correct? Add Hubbard Bay to that. and Skagway. Then Misty Fjords which wont be a landing on a glacier but remote area it sounds like. Dont get me wrong, I love scenic tours and dream about alaskan scenery, but I wonder, its not all similar?

Every trip is different. Earlier this season I was on two PWS tours within 12 days of each other, a Kenai Fjords tour, two boat tours in Homer, Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay and a 6 hour whale watch tour in Juneau. Each trip was different, each seeing different things. Would I have eliminated any of them? Not at all. For me, the heavily discounted price for most of the tours was key. Easy to get 2-for-1 coupons for most the tours if you do minimal research.

I did the Phillips 26 Glacier tour and it's rated as my second favour tour (second to Misty Bay Lodge Whale watching). Food is included and complimentary drinks such as coffee/water. They have a bar for extras down on main deck. You do get really close to these glaciers and we seen a lot of seals/otters on this tour. I would do it again.

Donna

I agree with most others................this is a totally different experience :)and unless you plan on returning to Alaska frequently, get this one under your belt.

How do you folks find two for one" on this tour?:confused:

I really appreciate your view! It might sway me back. Not saying I am taking one's opinion on here as to what I do but I am trying to maximize the dollar. I read so much on here about the scenic stuff and the aleyska or whatever its called you can visit while driving to whittier, aside from the conservation center which is supposed to be one its kind in the country from what people say on here. and I love wildlife. Im just so skeptical how much wildlife ill see out in the open being on so many glacier tours. Say if I do PWS, Skagway, and Misty Fjords. I do have Misty Fjords booked already. Skagway is next if I can decide how to get to Temsco from the cruise ship. The ship has all glacier tours listed as a waitlist so im not counting on ship availability.

But, I am looking at your insight on PWS as I google up some more stuff about PWS and it does make sense. But I do fear being all glaciered out, because after all, glacier bay is an experience of a lifetime for those wanting to see a glacier park correct? Add Hubbard Bay to that. and Skagway. Then Misty Fjords which wont be a landing on a glacier but remote area it sounds like. Dont get me wrong, I love scenic tours and dream about alaskan scenery, but I wonder, its not all similar?

Thanks for your comments. Granted I teach this glacier stuff up here (and have done so for 42 years) but I can never get enough of Prince William Sound. Each area is different and has it's own "personality" if you will. My wife currently works in the sound for a small kayak company but used to work for one of the day tour operators. As a hubby, I loved my privilege of going along for the ride on a space-available basis and never saw the same sights twice. I also take my college students out every summer so they can witness the stuff in their textbooks in action.

I'm partial to the longer trips to Surprise Glacier and Esther Passage on either tour operator but the Blackstone Bay trip is also an excellent tour. Both Major Marine and Philips are offering it right now for $89.00 from Whittier. Check out their websites at http://www.majormarine.com or http://www.26glaciers.com for the routes.

I took my brother from LA two week ago on both a PWS trip and a Kenai Fjords trip. He loved them both; didn't hurt that we had spectacular weather and saw some awesome calving as well. These areas as just as special as Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, or Misty Fjords. By comparison, the glacier you will see in Skagway is a bit of a letdown and much more costly than the PWS trips. Again, just my opinion but I really have some experience in this area and love to share it with visitors to our great state.

I don't agree, a car rental could still be an excellent choice. If you cabbed to a car rental at 8am, you could spend some time, along the Arm, including a stop at the Conservation Center. You need to get through the 11:30am tunnel. Or time also for a look at the Portage Glacier visitor center. Plus many stops.

On the return, you have the evening for other sightseeing. Really can pack in a lot of options, if of interest.

You are also, way "wrong" on the glacier similarities. This boat tour, is far superior compared to any cruiseship viewing.

Some hard choices indeed. :) Think about, what is of most interest for you and go with that. All great choices.

I don't agree, a car rental could still be an excellent choice. If you cabbed to a car rental at 8am, you could spend some time, along the Arm, including a stop at the Conservation Center. You need to get through the 11:30am tunnel. Or time also for a look at the Portage Glacier visitor center. Plus many stops.

On the return, you have the evening for other sightseeing. Really can pack in a lot of options, if of interest.

You are also, way "wrong" on the glacier similarities. This boat tour, is far superior compared to any cruiseship viewing.

Some hard choices indeed. :) Think about, what is of most interest for you and go with that. All great choices.

conservation center opens at 10am and takes an hour or so to go through :( So therefore, wouldnt be able to do both that and the cruise which departs at 12:15 and 12:30 depending if taking phillips or major marine

conservation center opens at 10am and takes an hour or so to go through :( So therefore, wouldnt be able to do both that and the cruise which departs at 12:15 and 12:30 depending if taking phillips or major marine

IF you wanted to include both you certainly can. It is only a 15 minute drive to the tunnel, 7 miles, and as I have already mentioned, you would be going through the 11:30am tunnel. That is an hour at the Conserve.

Depends on how often you are going to get there, and what your priority is.

The only trick to this is access to the tunnel to Whittier. Openings into Whittier are every hour on the half hour and you'd have to go through at either 10:30am or 11:30am. It's the only way in and out of Whittier.

The only trick to this is access to the tunnel to Whittier. Openings into Whittier are every hour on the half hour and you'd have to go through at either 10:30am or 11:30am. It's the only way in and out of Whittier.

My comments are based on this poster, claiming to have interests in each, and not sure, about picking one. They could do both- again, if they wish to make an effort to do so.

For me, even with visiting Alaska every year, I make my plans with few compromises, IF something is my priority. :)

My eight year old daughter and I took the Phillips tour on the Klondike Express June 30 while in Whittier on a back to back cruise and enjoyed it thoroughly. Like some of the previous posters, I can't get enough of the wildlife, glaciers, and just the general spectacular scenery in Alaska. Each place and experience is unique, and the same place can be drastically different on any given day. We were thrilled to observe numerous sea otters much closer up than we saw on the cruise ship, a very large sea lion, Dall's porpoise racing us at the bow of the boat, and many interesting glaciers. We also had fun watching the crew scoop ice out of the water, rinse it, and set it out for passengers to crunch on or add to a drink. My daughter participated in the Jr. Ranger program, which enhanced her experience. I also appreciated the ranger's narrative and wildlife spotting assistance. Although the lunch was nothing memorable, it was nice that it was included in the cost of the tour. We were actually happy for the diversion from the food on the ship, and the warm cookies on the way back to the dock were yummy! The only negative from our experience was the relatively dense crowd level compared to other independent tours we took in other ports. Due to the large number of people and occasional rude behavior of a few passengers, not everyone who wanted to get a good view or a picture was able to do so before the captain moved on to another area. This was a minor annoyance and in no way would stop us from taking the tour again. Finally, I would recommend that anyone planning to take this tour book in advance if possible to get a better seating assignment. However you decide to spend your day, have a great time!

The only negative from our experience was the relatively dense crowd level compared to other independent tours we took in other ports.

The two times this year that I took Major Marine's tour from Whittier I saw the Philips boat being loaded just before mine (they share a gangway to board). They were always more crowded than the Major Marine tours. I was always smiling and glad when I saw the crowds boarding Philips but so many fewer boarding Major Marine :)

Look in the Alaska Toursaver and the Northern Lights coupon books. Each coupon book has a web site and lists all their offers.

Those are two options. But lots of reading as well as searching on the net, subscribing to EMails, etc. will land quite a few other discounts, including 2-for-1's.

The two times this year that I took Major Marine's tour from Whittier I saw the Philips boat being loaded just before mine (they share a gangway to board). They were always more crowded than the Major Marine tours. I was always smiling and glad when I saw the crowds boarding Philips but so many fewer boarding Major Marine :)

Any thoughts on why Major Marine seems to be attracting fewer people?

• 2 weeks later...

Major Marine's boat holds only 150, while the Phillips boat holds over 300 passengers. Choosing which boat tour you should take into consideration how large a boat you would like to travel on.

Any thoughts on why Major Marine seems to be attracting fewer people?

My guess is that Philips discounts for groups - I saw Magic Bus dropping off a group and a tour bus dropping off a group. Major Marine tends to discount using the 2-for-1 and other coupons. I would rather have a handful of people on individual discounts than a large group or two on group discounts :)

Archived