Manhattan Cruise Termainal to Battery Park

jandjelly

I'd do the "self walk off" and grab a cab. There should be a row of them waiting, so getting a cab probably will not be a problem. As it is a weekday, and early AM, at least a 1/2 hr to get from the Manhattan terminal to Battery Park.

Thank you for your concern Njhorseman

We are ok for time as we arrive the previous day and overnight in port. I was wondering if the tube would be an option.

Since your ship is already in port, it may be a bit more difficult to get a taxi...they may not be many lined up at the terminal's taxi stand. Also since it's rush hour taxis can be harder to come by and traffic can be heavy, so leave yourself extra time.

To take the subway you would have to walk 4 long blocks from the cruise terminal to the subway station at 50th St. and 8th Ave. When you say "Battery Park" where exactly are you headed? If you're going to the 9/11 memorial, you can take the E train from the 50th St. station to its last stop at the World Trade Center. If you're going a bit further to Battery Park itself (Statue of Liberty ferry perhaps?) you could walk from the World Trade Center station, or you might want to transfer from the E train to the #1 at the 42nd St. station and take the #1 to South Ferry.

Thank you njhorseman

We are heading for the Statue of Liberty ferry. If we go the subway route you have suggested have you an idea of how long it will take please

Walking and time on the subway should be 45 minutes to an hour. You'll be going at rush hour...expect the subway to be very crowded.

Although I had originally recommended taking the E train from 50th St. and 8th Ave. and transferring to the #1 at 42nd St., it's just as easy...maybe easier to just walk one additional block to 50th St. and Broadway and directly pick up the #1 bound for South ferry there. No sense trying the find your way around the busy 42nd St. station to make the transfer from the E to the 1.

.maybe easier to just walk one additional block to 50th St. and Broadway and directly pick up the #1 bound for South ferry there. No sense trying the find your way around the busy 42nd St. station to make the transfer from the E to the 1.

The E train at 50th and 8th is a two level station. The E is on the lowest level, the C is on the first or highest level. Both of these local trains will be very crowded at that time in the morning but service is frequent about every 5 to 7 minutes. Downtown is accessible only from the west side of 8th Ave (the direction you are walking you would not cross 8th Ave).

I would also agree with NJ and walk another block to the #1 train that will take you to right across from Battery Park though you do have to walk a bit in the park to Castle Clinton.

Again Hop Stop will tell you how long the walk is from if you put in your choice of subway line.

Andee thanks for the web site

njhorseman, thanks for all your help. It seems we have the choice of being squashed on the subway or having the stress of wondering if the taxi will get through rush hour traffic

Is NYC (A) a port of call or (B) does your cruise end there, but dock the day prior? If (A), if guests can get on and off at will after docking the day prior, leave early in the AM, I'd leave no later than 7:30, just to allow for any snafus. If (B) and you are disembarking that morning, what are you going to do with your luggage.....carry it around with you? And if you are, subways and buses will be WAY to much of a hassle. Even if NYC is a port of call and you dock the day before, I think there will be ample cabs for hire the morning you want to go down to Battery Park. I NEVER take cabs in the city, so I will rely on someone else to venture approx how much a cab from the Manhattan cruise ship terminal to Battery Park would be, but I'd guess around $25?????

The #1 train is a local train so a lot of folks will get on and off during rush hour to transfer to the express train. You have a better chance of getting a seat at some point, particularly if you get on the front or back of the train. You are going to the end of the line at South Ferry, so there's no reason for you to try to catch up with the previous local train by using the express. Been there, done that, and it was rarely worth it.

• 2 months later...
Hi,help please

How would I get from the cruise terminal to Battery Park and how long would it take. I'm going on Thursday 27 Sept and need to be there at 9am.

Thanks

Just wondering how that worked out for you? We will be at the Manhattan cruise terminal in November and we want to catch the subway to the 911 memorial. How long did it take you to get from the cruise terminal to the subway - I'm assuming you walked? I would appreciate any helpful info! ~Joyce

Just wondering how that worked out for you? We will be at the Manhattan cruise terminal in November and we want to catch the subway to the 911 memorial. How long did it take you to get from the cruise terminal to the subway - I'm assuming you walked? I would appreciate any helpful info! ~Joyce

I answered your question about how to get to the 9/11 memorial on the thread you started.

The walk from the cruise terminal to the 50th St and 8th Ave subway station should take about 15 minutes.

I answered your question about how to get to the 9/11 memorial on the thread you started.

The walk from the cruise terminal to the 50th St and 8th Ave subway station should take about 15 minutes.

Thank you! I was looking everywhere for that and wasn't sure if I was remembering NY or Boston! So many ports and so much info! It's going into my notes right now!! Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

I tried hopstop.com but my browser could not find it. We too are hoping to go from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to the Ellis Island ferry dock in battery park. Our ship will be in New York on May 31 for a combo port call and embarkation. Has hopstop changed its URL or is there another site that provides the same services? I've copied the instructions that you all posted, but since they're 3 years old, I'd like to know whether they're up to date.

I tried hopstop.com but my browser could not find it. We too are hoping to go from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to the Ellis Island ferry dock in battery park. Our ship will be in New York on May 31 for a combo port call and embarkation. Has hopstop changed its URL or is there another site that provides the same services? I've copied the instructions that you all posted, but since they're 3 years old, I'd like to know whether they're up to date.

Hop Stop for NYC apparently died in October. Here's an article about other options. http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150924/new-york-city/6-transit-navigation-apps-you-should-try-since-hopstop-is-shutting-down

I'm sure folks will post about these 6 other NYC transit apps.

Exit strategy is fantastic for locals!! It tells me what car to get on to so that I can transfer to another line or get out at a certain corner-- it's not one that I would recommend for tourists, as it doesn't do point to point directions.

Since hopstop disappeared, I have been using google maps, which has been mostly fine, but I just downloaded two of the apps in this article and hope that they are good. But google maps may also work well for you.