Tell me about the STAR...... please

We have sailed twice on the Crown (loved it), once on the Dawn, last year on the Gem and am booked on the Star for the first time this fall.

I'd love to hear some things on the Star.... anything and everything :)

Your request is so open ended and vague, that the best I can do is refer you to the forum search capability using a search word of "star"

The url below is coded to do this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=32382234

You'll find the Star to be very similar to the Dawn in layout and style. Check out some recent member reviews to see what you can expect in terms of quality and service. It's been three years since I've been on her, so that was awhile ago.

Except for the fact that I was on the Dawn pre-renovations and the Star after renos and the decor is a little different. I would have thought I was on the same ship.

I can't think of anything that stands out in my mind that was different, worth noting, between the two of them.

We were on the Star last August in Alaska. Love it. My favorite place was the Beir Garden which is outside and way up top. People would gather there in the morning and have their coffee and watch the beautiful sites go by. The observation area is real close to that as well.

We had a mini suite on the Gem last year and couldn't attach your own dvd player to tv in cabin, how about the star?

We love to fall asleep watching our box sets of some ol goodies, all in the family, odd couple etc...

TV channels on cruise ships are NOT the best.

I was on the Star in May and wrote a review and included dailies if you're interested. If there's a specific question you have perhaps I can help.

My wife and I sailed the Star to the Western Carribean in January. Thing I remember most - the Thermal Suite, the BEST purchase we made on the ship. If I remember correctly, it was $119/person and only 100 tickets were to be sold total. It was well worth it, it's one of the first places we hit after the ports, before dinner.

I loved Le Bistro (I always do!), we both agreed the La Cuccina was probably the best kept restaurant on the ship, sushi was very good, and we loved going to the Market Cafe for breakfast as we were pulling into ports in the morning.

When we boarded - they told us what was open for dining on embarkation day, If I remember it was the buffet, Versailles, and the Sushi bar. I highly recommend the sushi bar on embarkation day! It was EMPTY, we crushed as much sushi as we do at home, and it was about half as much what we would normally pay. Not only that, the sushi chef remembered us anytime we came by after that - and gave us a free roll that was not on the menu!

The only semi-negative I have to say about the Star is the I thought Second City wasn't all that funny. But that's highly subjective, so I wouldn't worry about my opinions on that one... :D

We enjoy Le Bistro as well, especially the escargot.

Market cafe is the buffet?

Do they have "the great outdoors" like on the gem? That was fantastic for hot breakfast and made to order omelets while sitting outside on deck.

My wife and I sailed the Star to the Western Carribean in January. Thing I remember most - the Thermal Suite, the BEST purchase we made on the ship. If I remember correctly, it was $119/person and only 100 tickets were to be sold total. It was well worth it, it's one of the first places we hit after the ports, before dinner.

I loved Le Bistro (I always do!), we both agreed the La Cuccina was probably the best kept restaurant on the ship, sushi was very good, and we loved going to the Market Cafe for breakfast as we were pulling into ports in the morning.

When we boarded - they told us what was open for dining on embarkation day, If I remember it was the buffet, Versailles, and the Sushi bar. I highly recommend the sushi bar on embarkation day! It was EMPTY, we crushed as much sushi as we do at home, and it was about half as much what we would normally pay. Not only that, the sushi chef remembered us anytime we came by after that - and gave us a free roll that was not on the menu!

The only semi-negative I have to say about the Star is the I thought Second City wasn't all that funny. But that's highly subjective, so I wouldn't worry about my opinions on that one... :D

We had a mini suite on the Gem last year and couldn't attach your own dvd player to tv in cabin, how about the star?

We love to fall asleep watching our box sets of some ol goodies, all in the family, odd couple etc...

TV channels on cruise ships are NOT the best.

We didn't have a mini suite, but I don't think you'd be able to on the Star as it's an old Analog style TV (if I remember correctly - I thin the Gem and the Epic were the only ones with flat screens out of the ships that I've been on.) I'll ask Dh to be sure as he might have looked.

Just a tip. We're big Star Trek buffs and we bring along our laptop, tablet in order to watch our shows. If you rip your DVDs in something like handbrake you can take the files with you on your device without having to take the DVDs themselves.

Star Highlights

1. Popcorn machine! Yipee

2. Pistachio Cake found in the Atrium. Yummmm.

3. Manila Trio. What talent!

4. Captain Harstrom. Very funny!

All the nooks and crannies around the ship that make it different from it's Jewel class sisters. :)

Oh great, thanks. I used to make a pistachio cake lol...

Star Highlights

1. Popcorn machine! Yipee

2. Pistachio Cake found in the Atrium. Yummmm.

3. Manila Trio. What talent!

4. Captain Harstrom. Very funny!

All the nooks and crannies around the ship that make it different from it's Jewel class sisters. :)

Oh great, thanks. I used to make a pistachio cake lol...

Really...wanna make some for meeeeeeeeeee??? Joking!

It's pistachio pound cake actually and boy oh boy is it good. I'm very good with sweets (or I try to be anyway), but I'd have three slices at a time without blinking!

I only really go nuts for sweets on our cruises.

You have to see me at the chocolate buffet LOL

My favorite...

Really...wanna make some for meeeeeeeeeee??? Joking!

It's pistachio pound cake actually and boy oh boy is it good. I'm very good with sweets (or I try to be anyway), but I'd have three slices at a time without blinking!

We enjoy Le Bistro as well, especially the escargot.

Market cafe is the buffet?

Do they have "the great outdoors" like on the gem? That was fantastic for hot breakfast and made to order omelets while sitting outside on deck.

They have Topsiders Bar & Grill, but I don't remember if it was a buffet or not. Market Cafe is the buffet, and there's windows galore - and it always seemed as though it wasn't that busy in the morning. We always went there because they had Eggs Benedict - which I LOVE having when on cruise for breakfast, and we could sit next to the windows and watch as we pulled in.

On disembarkation day, we still went to Market Cafe and ended up sitting outside by Topsiders, but it didn't look like there was as much selection at Topsiders. Memories are a little fuzzy, guess we'll have to go again!

The Star is our favorite ship - we've sailed on her 4 times. I just love the 'feel' of this ship. The Star Bar across from Cagney's on 13 is a good place (quiet during the day) to hang out.

We love the new suites on deck 12, which is part of the reason we love the Star so much.

Have fun!

Hope we love it as much as you guys did :) I'll report back when we're home. 70 something more days woohoo!!!

The Star is our favorite ship - we've sailed on her 4 times. I just love the 'feel' of this ship. The Star Bar across from Cagney's on 13 is a good place (quiet during the day) to hang out.

We love the new suites on deck 12, which is part of the reason we love the Star so much.

Have fun!

Archived