Cabin Guarantee-Did I do the right thing?

stormz

I booked Oceania with a Veranda Guarantee. This is the first time I have done this on any cruise as I usually choose a specific cabin. Any comments - did I make a mistake??? :confused: Also waitlisted on an inside but probably will stick with Veranda. Any comments will be appreciated.

I booked a GTY on the Rivera for a March 2013 trip in a ocean view. Got the room ass yesterday. I was hopeing for an upgrade but did not get one. As for cabin location it is fine.

You usually get the CAT you paid for on O unless it is really close to sailing then you may get lucky & get an upsell;)

Lyn

I've done a guarantee twice. The first time it paid off, and I was upgraded at no cost from an inside cabin (there are few of those) to a veranda. This time, we are 2 1/2 weeks away from the cruise, and so far we have not been assigned a cabin, but I'm still hoping for something other than the lowly G that is guaranteed we will get (or better)! Of course, I hear that what's more common right now is the upsell technique, if cabins are tight - offer to move the person up for a small amount of $$, and I'm not sure we're interested in that.

I would think that with a veranda guarantee, it is less likely you'll be upgraded, as there are so many of those, but I really don't know. We've been on veranda cabins on Marina (in Feb.; didn't think to do a guarantee) and the smaller ships, and also been on the inside cabins (F category). All cabins we've had have been fine. I am personally planning to put in for a guarantee from now on. You really can't lose, unless you don't want a specific location (way up front, way in back, way at bottom or top, etc. - we're not picky about cabins or locations so it works). I think you did the right thing!

By the way, in Feb., I really didn't use that veranda much, although it was nice when I did!

• 5 weeks later...
I booked Oceania with a Veranda Guarantee. This is the first time I have done this on any cruise as I usually choose a specific cabin. Any comments - did I make a mistake??? :confused: Also waitlisted on an inside but probably will stick with Veranda. Any comments will be appreciated.

I received cabin assignment before final payment and received a decent extended balcony cabin, however no upgrade. At least no surprises!

Archived