Overpriced rccl excursions

Why is it overpriced? It's called PROFIT. And guess what, profit is not a dirty word. Believe it or not, they are in business to make money.

:cool:

What??? Profits not a dirty word? I can't believe you said that out loud. Are you crazy thinking like that? :D:D:D

Cozumel is kind of unique.

When we were there, port time was about 10 hours. Very easy to drive anywhere on the entire island.

Matter of fact, you get to the East side, nice road, totally deserted, beaches the same, with a couple of nice bars/restaurants.

Absolutely loved Cozumel, no need to book anything through the cruise line there. Get the private driver, do your research, and tell him what it is you would like to do.

When we got into our cab, Alberto got out a map, made suggestions of things to do ..... Mayan ruins, the Tequila factory, etc ...... we said thanx but no thanx ..... just take us to the East coast, some bars, restaurants, beaches ...... and he knew exactly what we wanted ...... and did he deliver!

I agree completely. If you take the time to do enough research before booking a private tour, you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect, and know whether the private tour is a good idea in that area.

As for Cozumel, I had the same experience as johneeo (and the same driver) a couple months before his trip, when I sailed the Liberty of the Seas with my two friends. We were 3 ladies in Cozumel, and we felt perfectly safe the entire time with our guide. And he was constantly checking and asking us if we were okay, having a good time, and comfortable with what we were doing. It was a really nice day. DH and I are actually booked with Alberto again in September. So in this instance (Cozumel), booking private is the way to go, IMO.

We've only done one ship excursion in all our cruises with Royal. In St. Thomas, we took the ferry to St. John, since we wouldn't have to worry about the logistics of getting there. The ferry left right from the pier.

Otherwise, we've always booked with a local tour guide who has a great reputation here on CC and elsewhere. I can recommend that method in St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Antigua, Aruba, and San Juan. In St. Maarten, we actually randomly hired a taxi driver to take us around (because I've read that that was a perfectly fine thing to do on that particular island). Again, we felt safe the whole time. Each guide has been professional, informative, and enjoyable. We've never been disappointed. Takes some effort and research on our part, but in the end it pays off, at least it does in most of the Caribbean. Now, if I were going to another part of the world that was completely unfamiliar to me, I would consider one of Royal's excursions. We'll see when we travel elsewhere. To each his own.

As for Cozumel, I had the same experience as johneeo (and the same driver) a couple months before his trip, when I sailed the Liberty of the Seas with my two friends.

I know, as I read your review and others, and knew everything I needed to make it a fantastic excursion.

As I have said many times, no matter what you want to do cruise wise, do your research right here. Check what others have done, read their reviews, and if that is not enough, ask them questions.

WHO TOLD YOU I WAS ANGRY ?:confused:

So, do you want to take a tour at a known price, with a reputable driver who speaks English, and can take you some place other than the local all inclusive beach for $375 or do you want to grab a cab with an unknown driver, with unknown English skills and go riding around somewhere for "probably around" $100?

There is a third choice that would "probably" cost somewhere between your two options - go to the Ports of Call boards and find a private tour operator.

You choice. What has me baffled is the amount of anger you have over RCCL's pricing. If you don't like the product they are offering you are certainly free to make alternative arrangements.

When we were there, port time was about 10 hours. Very easy to drive anywhere on the entire island.

Matter of fact, you get to the East side, nice road, totally deserted, beaches the same, with a couple of nice bars/restaurants.

Absolutely loved Cozumel, no need to book anything through the cruise line there. Get the private driver, do your research, and tell him what it is you would like to do.

When we got into our cab, Alberto got out a map, made suggestions of things to do ..... Mayan ruins, the Tequila factory, etc ...... we said thanx but no thanx ..... just take us to the East coast, some bars, restaurants, beaches ...... and he knew exactly what we wanted ...... and did he deliver!

Gotta agree, have been to Cozumel many times for resort vacations as well as on cruise ships. I have never felt unsafe there at all. It is just a different feeling than other parts of the country. However, we still do our best to be wise and use good judgement, just as we do in any port.

Gotta agree, have been to Cozumel many times for resort vacations as well as on cruise ships. I have never felt unsafe there at all. It is just a different feeling than other parts of the country. However, we still do our best to be wise and use good judgement, just as we do in any port.

DH and I are ones that will only do the ship excursions. Would I pay $375 to tour Cozumel no, I would not pay $20 to tour Cozumel. We pick the excursions we like and then decide if the price is right. I am not sure how much profit they really make because I am sure that they have to pay for insurance as well as staff expenses and then pay the tour company.

I always book my own excursions because the ships are always overpriced and crowded.

Just remember never say always. I often take independent tours but sometimes certain excurisions are only available thru the ship. An example is the Panama Canal Railway, the ship/ships buy up all the seats. Also ships tours aren't a bad idea if time might be a factor.

Some guests prefer to book ship sponsered tours so that if there is an issue and they are going to get back late from the excursion chances are the ship will wait because they sponsered the tour.

Some pax feel the extra money is worth a bit more security.

To each his own.

This ^

I looked at an accessible tour excursion through RCI at St Thomas that was 49.00 per person. Booking the very SAME tour privately would have been 37.00 per person.

Sorry, but for 12.00 per person, the security of knowing that ship will not leave me or if it does have to, its on RCI's dime to get me to the next port or home is priceless.

I realize that many excursions are marked up much more than that by the cruiseline but the ones I have checked on really isnt all that much more.

This ^

I looked at an accessible tour excursion through RCI at St Thomas that was 49.00 per person. Booking the very SAME tour privately would have been 37.00 per person.

Sorry, but for 12.00 per person, the security of knowing that ship will not leave me or if it does have to, its on RCI's dime to get me to the next port or home is priceless.

I realize that many excursions are marked up much more than that by the cruiseline but the ones I have checked on really isnt all that much more.

Well, we saved $50 per person, and it added 4 hours to our time on St. Thomas by doing a private booking.

St. Thomas, booked snorkeling excursion through RCI , about $100.

Got to the cattle car/taxi at 9:00 AM. Sat in it until about 9:45. Took about 40 minute drive to get to Red Hook, which was not the most pleasant drive. Catamaran left Red Hook at about 11:00. Great excursion, but it took the whole day with the large group and drive to and from Red Hook.

The next year I booked privately with the Fury, which left right from our pier, no taxi, a simple walk to the sailboat. The cost was $50, left at noon and got back at 4:00 PM. That gave us the entire morning to go to the top of the mountain at Havensite, take pictures, whatever.

Live and learn.

Just to add to my previous comments. A passenger on Rhapsody died while on a INDEPENDENT kayaking expedition on Mendanhall Lake. His kayak overturned and he went into the water. By the time his family pulled him out he was dead. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by booking this independent excursion??

And you definitely believe that it was only because the tour was booked independently of the cruiseline, that this tragic incident occurred? I have no doubt that the cruiselines make a good effort to vet all of the vendors whose tours they sell, but they can't and won't guarantee you will be absolutely safe if you book through them. In many instances, even on ship-sponsored excursions, you will be required to sign a waiver of liability that exempts them from responsibility for things that might occur on the excursion. Be careful or you may begin to read of the many tragic incidents that have also occurred on cruiseline sponsored excursions.

I would pay Royal Caribbean $50 per person if they had a shuttle from Maho Beach in St Maarten that went back to the cruise port. If the shuttle left at 3.30pm for a 4.30pm time you must be on board and the ship was guaranteed to wait if you get help up by the bridge.

That would take away a lot of stress from working out what time to head back to the ship!

To those of you who felt perfectly safe...had a great time with a random cab driver or unknown private tour...... you've been lucky. My husband's former boss also had a cavalier attitude in "paradise". We tried to convince him and his wife everything was not as it seemed. They were kidnapped at gunpoint as they exited customs at the International airport. The kidnappers were dressed in business suits. After the "businessmen" took everything they had from their persons and home they were dropped off in a remote area. They left the next day never to return!!!!! Only deal with the known in Paradise.

Just to add to my previous comments. A passenger on Rhapsody died while on a INDEPENDENT kayaking expedition on Mendanhall Lake. His kayak overturned and he went into the water. By the time his family pulled him out he was dead. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by booking this independent excursion??

The misinformation that is posted on this board is incredible.

That is NOT what happened.

The man was 62:eek:, kayaking in the icy waters of Alaska:confused:.

He became ill, it is assumed that he had a heart attack. He was actually being assisted with bringing him back to land, when he collapsed/fellover/capsized his kayak.

It took about 30 minutes to get him to shore. One in the party was either a para medic or fireman versed in CPR, and even with those efforts, the man did not survive.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

And you definitely believe that it was only because the tour was booked independently of the cruiseline, that this tragic incident occurred?

The independent operators caused a 62 YO man kayaking in the icy waters of Alaska to have a heart attack, capsize his kayak, and not respond to the CPR efforts of a trained professional.

Happens often.:rolleyes:

The independent operators caused a 62 YO man kayaking in the icy waters of Alaska to have a heart attack, capsize his kayak, and not respond to the CPR efforts of a trained professional.

Happens often.:rolleyes:

Of course. ;) And it was probably part of a large conspiracy to rid the world of people who don't have the sense to only book ship=sponsored shore excursions :rolleyes:

He became ill, it is assumed that he had a heart attack. He was actually being assisted with bringing him back to land, when he collapsed/fellover/capsized his kayak.

It took about 30 minutes to get him to shore. One in the party was either a para medic or fireman versed in CPR, and even with those efforts, the man did not survive.

Hmm ... I saw something on TV last night that said 'Everything on the internet is true ... no lies allowed.' :rolleyes:;)

You can vote in this poll and make yourself feel better:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98343&highlight=overpriced+cruise+tours

The problem with that poll is it only has 2 options, it needs a third for combination of both. Those who only book one way or another are missing out. A little research is really what is needed to make the best decision and it is not always the same answer.

Some things that I take in consideration are -

which port you are in

how much time you have in port

who will be going on the excursion

how far away from the port you will go

who offers which excursion

cost

reviews

I feel I must be reading a different post to the others on here

The OP never described being suprised by the price of RCI excursions

merely contacted RCI for clarification on why their excursions are so expensive

in relation to locally purchased excursions

The other points I was hoping someone can help me with is

a) Where in the cruise contract does it say the ship will wait for you if your excursion is booked through RCI

b) As the excursions are run by local operators are RCI acting as agents, if so where does it say in the contract that they are legally liable if things go wrong on the excursion.

Is it legal liability or public relations that has made them wait for tours and pay for people to catch up?

I wonder if they bill the local tour operator if things do go wrong?

Johneeo, Johneeo, Johneeo. Take a chill pill. Stay away from sharp objects so you don't deflate. Your first post on this thread made me immediately think "pompous" -- you know everything!! (go back and re-read it; #18) -- but you got better. Now this.

She is basically correct, except they weren't on any excursion. They just rented the kayaks. Your information is incorrect. He wasn't breathing when he finally made it to shore. Paramedics tried to revive him and he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Go get some chocolate or beer or better yet, scotch!

Peace.

Cheers.

The poll might have more validity if it included the option of voting for both ship-sponsored and independent tours depending on the particular circumstances.

Do you think these people would vote the same now as they did 8 years ago?:D

Archived