Machu Pichu ?? Help

e.h. beach bum

A couple of years ago, maybe three, a bunch of regent passengers were stranded at machu Pichu in feb due to mudslides caused by heavy rains which blocked the railway. Regent actually sent a helicopter to rescue them.

A couple of years ago, maybe three, a bunch of regent passengers were stranded at machu Pichu in feb due to mudslides caused by heavy rains which blocked the railway. Regent actually sent a helicopter to rescue them.

That's really impressive! Would have been a long way to walk... :)

If I'm thinking of the same mudslide, it did more than block the railway; it completely destroyed a section of it and pushed it into the Urubamba river! You can still see the sections of steel railway track in the riverbed as you go by on the train. Crazy what nature can do...

DSC_20K_0834.JPG

Has anyone been to Machu Pichu/Cusco in Feb. and was rain a factor? I'm considering an S.S. cruise with side trip to M.P. but concerned about the rainy season

You can have a great time at Machu Picchu, even in the rain (March, 2004).

OnMachuPicchu1.jpg

And the views can be awesome!

MachuPicchu1.jpg

Wellseasoned: amazing photos!

I would love to go to Machu Picchu. Oddly enough, a few people I've spoken with have said it's not worth going JUST for Machu Picchu; that it really should be combined with a trip like the Galapagos. Their perspective was it was a long way to go for one or two days. It sounds like your cruise with a side trip would be ideal.

I agree that you should spend more than a day. You have to go to Cuzco to get there, and that is worth at least a day or 2 in its own right. Plus the sacred valley is worth 2 days, and you really need to spend an over night at machu pichu. It is worth it.

I agree that you need to do more than Machu Picchu. But I would not combine it with the Galapagos. We did MP in 2009, and just got back from the Galapagos. The latter should be done separately so that you can do several islands to get a sense for the diversity of the Galapagos, and the highlands of Ecuador are a magnificent addition to the islands.

My recommendation would be similar to RachelG, although we took two weeks, and included Lake Titicaca in our itinerary. There's plenty to see and do in Cusco, its outskirts and the Sacred Valley to easily fill one week. Also remember that being at altitude, it is smart to do things slowly and not tush around. We loved every moment of our private tour. I have a blog for our Peru trip in the footer that you can look at if you wish.

We also did 2 weeks and included lake titicaca and Arequipa.

Totally agree that galapagos is a whole other trip. We did a 10 day cruise on celebrity xpedition and are looking forward to going back with the new silversea ship there.

Archived