Our Ruby Princess cruise experience

AJ28

Loved the movie info and weather....I love MUTS....

I have placed all my tix/maps/assorted info in a portfolio also..and today realized I had an extra empty one (they have about 24 clear plastic pages each.

I was thinking of using the empty one to keep tucking info and patters away in order for sharing and future reference just like you did...

I am a week away...from leaving

summer school work finished for me today....

Went shopping today due to a few errands..and passed by a gown on the clearance rack...price was 200$..there were no markdowns on it...so I checked it with the scanner....and after a 20% off coupon it was only

43$....it is superlight weight and I just loved it.....sometimes ya just gotta buy souveniers BEFORE your trip....

What was your favorite meal on the ship?

Bernadette

]

We were just at La Sagrada on Wednesday and the interior is finished and spectacular...the place is gorgeous. We took the elevator up the spirals and walked across the bridge and dow the other spiral ans saw the scaffolding up close and personal. It is expected to be complete by 2026 for the Gaudi centennial anniversary of his death.

For an uninformed tourist walking into La Sagrada nowadays...they wouldn't even now that it is incomplete from the inside and may actually think the outside scaffolding is just renovation work! LOL

What a beautiful place. We didn't get to go inside on our previous 2 stops in Barca but this time we spent 2 days post cruise and really saw the place...La Sagrada...Parc Guell (all the way up to the cross)..Gotic Quarter..the Gaudi Museum..Las Ramblas...and the spectacular Montserrat..all the way up the finicular, not just the monastery! Fabulous!!

We plan on visiting La Sagrada as well. We are staying in Barcelona for 2 days following our cruise on the Ruby. Did you buy your tickets in advance? We are also planning to go to Monserrat. Did you do this independently or take a tour.

]

We were just at La Sagrada on Wednesday and the interior is finished and spectacular...the place is gorgeous. We took the elevator up the spirals and walked across the bridge and dow the other spiral ans saw the scaffolding up close and personal. It is expected to be complete by 2026 for the Gaudi centennial anniversary of his death.

For an uninformed tourist walking into La Sagrada nowadays...they wouldn't even now that it is incomplete from the inside and may actually think the outside scaffolding is just renovation work! LOL

What a beautiful place. We didn't get to go inside on our previous 2 stops in Barca but this time we spent 2 days post cruise and really saw the place...La Sagrada...Parc Guell (all the way up to the cross)..Gotic Quarter..the Gaudi Museum..Las Ramblas...and the spectacular Montserrat..all the way up the finicular, not just the monastery! Fabulous!!

I couldn't agree more luvtheships. Every time we visit Barca the first thing we do is go straight to the Sagrada and marvel at it again. Gaudi was a true genius who was years ahead of his time. The modern designs which have been added to the building are not a patch on his designs. This man really knew how to think outside the box and was not afraid to do something different.

Anyone reading this who has not yet been to Barcelona, get it on your 'to do' list pronto.:)

Loved the movie info and weather....I love MUTS....

I have placed all my tix/maps/assorted info in a portfolio also..and today realized I had an extra empty one (they have about 24 clear plastic pages each.

I was thinking of using the empty one to keep tucking info and patters away in order for sharing and future reference just like you did...

I am a week away...from leaving

summer school work finished for me today....

Went shopping today due to a few errands..and passed by a gown on the clearance rack...price was 200$..there were no markdowns on it...so I checked it with the scanner....and after a 20% off coupon it was only

43$....it is superlight weight and I just loved it.....sometimes ya just gotta buy souveniers BEFORE your trip....

What was your favorite meal on the ship?

Bernadette

LOVE the shopping trip bargain, Bernadette:D.

There were a lot of meals I loved but it was actually one of the 'daily' ones (listed on the left side of the menu) was a type of sliced beef which had a choice of two sauces; a barbeque or a herby buttery one that I cannot think of the name of, that I loved the best

Sorry I can't even remember the name of the dish. I had it a couple of times rare and it was totally delicious. It came with a variety of lightly grilled and beautifully presented veg including my absolute favourite, asparagus. I was in heaven.

Feeling hungry now...

I have mentioned in my review but say again please do go along to the cooking demo with Shaun Canon the executive chef. Listening to him talking I could see why our meals were so tasty and well put together. He is committed to quality, taste, presentation, and a good balance of ingredients. I was impressed.

I know we have two whilst on board. We are used to really dressing up, but my husband is wondering whether or not to take his tux and whether to do white or black jacket. What did you think of the dress code whilst on board?

We too are scheduled to leave Venice at 8am. When we're you told there was a change?

Thanks again for the info and for answering our questions.

We plan on visiting La Sagrada as well. We are staying in Barcelona for 2 days following our cruise on the Ruby. Did you buy your tickets in advance? We are also planning to go to Monserrat. Did you do this independently or take a tour.

yes..I bought Sagrada tix online from home and it looked as though most others did as well. We could enter anytime between 9 and 10 am. We got there at 9 and about 50 people were waiting to enter on the prepaid line. I could not see how far the tix line to buy was, but I am sure there would have been a wait to buy tix. We also bought tix to ascend the steeple right after we entered the prepaid gate...well worth the extra for this experience.

We had Barcelona Day Tours..aka..Top Day Tours...aka SpainDayTours..depending on the guide I guess..but still a family run business, pick us up at 9:30 from the ship and we took a 5 hour trip to Monserrat. Fabulous!!! We went up to the top on the funicular..then visited the Monastery on the bottom. The Black Madonna and the Choir were closed due to summer holiday schedules and some renovation issues. But we loved the place.

Also, on the day after that we spent in Barca...after we did La Sagrada we walked to the Gothic Quarter did some shopping along the way visited the Gaudi Museum next to the Cathedral (we passed on the CAthedral this time as there is a charge to enter and we saw it 4 years ago..but if you have never been in it...do go in)..bought some 2 euro scarves made in China and then went over to Las Ramblas..very crowded. In retrospect at Las Ramblas we should have let the kids wander the shops (they are old enough and fluent enough to do that) and DH and I should have sat down at one of the outdoor spots..paid a fortune..and had a huge glass of what looked to be the best Sangria on the planet!:D

After that we took the Metro to the Vallcarca station and took the escelator up to Parc Guell..this is the better metro stop and Parc Guell..all of it should not be missed.

Prior to this trip, we had been to Barca 2x...and just did not enjoy it due to port time constraints so I am glad I booked 2 extra nights after debark at the Acta Antibes Hotel at a reasonable rate and got to enjoy the place.

We came back from 21 days thrilled, happy, healthy and vigorous...even with 100 degree heat! Already planning the next Med trip for 2016...it will be our 3rd as a family.....and about my 7th personally!:eek:

I couldn't agree more luvtheships. Every time we visit Barca the first thing we do is go straight to the Sagrada and marvel at it again. Gaudi was a true genius who was years ahead of his time. The modern designs which have been added to the building are not a patch on his designs. This man really knew how to think outside the box and was not afraid to do something different.

Anyone reading this who has not yet been to Barcelona, get it on your 'to do' list pronto.:)

I am so glad we decided to stay 2 days post cruise because we never really got to appreciate Barca on our previous 1 day stops. I was not a fan of Gaudi prior to this visit...but now I am!!!

LOVE the shopping trip bargain, Bernadette:D.

There were a lot of meals I loved but it was actually one of the 'daily' ones (listed on the left side of the menu) was a type of sliced beef which had a choice of two sauces; a barbeque or a herby buttery one that I cannot think of the name of, that I loved the best

Sorry I can't even remember the name of the dish. I had it a couple of times rare and it was totally delicious. It came with a variety of lightly grilled and beautifully presented veg including my absolute favourite, asparagus. I was in heaven.

Feeling hungry now...

I have mentioned in my review but say again please do go along to the cooking demo with Shaun Canon the executive chef. Listening to him talking I could see why our meals were so tasty and well put together. He is committed to quality, taste, presentation, and a good balance of ingredients. I was impressed.

The cooking show was funny...with Shaun the straight man and the Hotel Manager..the jokester!

It should be mentioned though that this is a long long presentation...just under 2 hours....but it culminates with the Galley tour...and all can go on it...there is no headcount limit.

Glad we did it...good show even if it was about 45 minutes too long for me and a nice Galley tour. We also did the MDR lunch after the tour...just for the heck of it.

I know we have two whilst on board. We are used to really dressing up, but my husband is wondering whether or not to take his tux and whether to do white or black jacket. What did you think of the dress code whilst on board?

We too are scheduled to leave Venice at 8am. When we're you told there was a change?

some were in tuxes...some in suits...some in slacks and sport jackets...totally up to him..

women in dresses...some gowns...pantsuits....again totally up to you.

A Med cruise does not attract a wild island hopping type of crowd....anyone can tell that most of the pax are educated..well employed....interested in history...family time....raising their kids and grandkids with some culture...and are a fairly competent crowd of folks......no wild eyed drunks..seriously never saw a one...only saw very respectful considerate nice folks. All dressed appropriately..on any night...formal or not.

As far as formal night is concerned.....just dress nicely...however you define that....if you want to bring a tux and fancy dress...and don't mind packing it...you will not be alone....

However, if you just want to bring a sport jacket, tie and slacks for him and a nice pair of dressy type slacks and top for you....feel free...you will not look out of place on formal night.

yes..I bought Sagrada tix online from home and it looked as though most others did as well. We could enter anytime between 9 and 10 am. We got there at 9 and about 50 people were waiting to enter on the prepaid line. I could not see how far the tix line to buy was, but I am sure there would have been a wait to buy tix. We also bought tix to ascend the steeple right after we entered the prepaid gate...well worth the extra for this experience.

We had Barcelona Day Tours..aka..Top Day Tours...aka SpainDayTours..depending on the guide I guess..but still a family run business, pick us up at 9:30 from the ship and we took a 5 hour trip to Monserrat. Fabulous!!! We went up to the top on the funicular..then visited the Monastery on the bottom. The Black Madonna and the Choir were closed due to summer holiday schedules and some renovation issues. But we loved the place.

Also, on the day after that we spent in Barca...after we did La Sagrada we walked to the Gothic Quarter did some shopping along the way visited the Gaudi Museum next to the Cathedral (we passed on the CAthedral this time as there is a charge to enter and we saw it 4 years ago..but if you have never been in it...do go in)..bought some 2 euro scarves made in China and then went over to Las Ramblas..very crowded. In retrospect at Las Ramblas we should have let the kids wander the shops (they are old enough and fluent enough to do that) and DH and I should have sat down at one of the outdoor spots..paid a fortune..and had a huge glass of what looked to be the best Sangria on the planet!:D

After that we took the Metro to the Vallcarca station and took the escelator up to Parc Guell..this is the better metro stop and Parc Guell..all of it should not be missed.

Prior to this trip, we had been to Barca 2x...and just did not enjoy it due to port time constraints so I am glad I booked 2 extra nights after debark at the Acta Antibes Hotel at a reasonable rate and got to enjoy the place.

We came back from 21 days thrilled, happy, healthy and vigorous...even with 100 degree heat! Already planning the next Med trip for 2016...it will be our 3rd as a family.....and about my 7th personally!:eek:

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to doing more in Barcelona this time. Last time we did a HOHO bus tour. We stopped at Sagrada Familia but never went in. This time we want to go in and are considering the steeple as you mentioned. Did you book the audio tour?

We stopped at Sagrada Familia but never went in. This time we want to go in and are considering the steeple as you mentioned. Did you book the audio tour?

They have 50-minute guided tours in English. This is better than the audio tour. Cost is 3 Euro in addition to the admission price.

Because this cruise involved flights and luggage restrictions my husband did not take his formal suit but a jacket and trousers to wear with shirt and tie on our two formal nights. I noticed that there were a variety of different 'looks' on formal night and felt that there was less an accent on a really formal look (say compared to P&O's Aurora or Cunard).

Re: the change of departure from Venice. We did receive notification by email about this before we sailed. One of the things the ship does while in port at Venice is to empty all the pools to reduce weight and help lift the ship. I reckon there is a good chance that you may also leave at 1am but hopefully you will be on the correct side to see the sights as you leave.

Our cabin (C310) was on the port (left) side of the ship so we were able to see St Mark's on the way out of Venice.

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to doing more in Barcelona this time. Last time we did a HOHO bus tour. We stopped at Sagrada Familia but never went in. This time we want to go in and are considering the steeple as you mentioned. Did you book the audio tour?

no we didn't...there are 6 of us so sharing is impossible and we find it too time consumming to listen at each stop. I didn't know about the guided tour or I might have done it. We had a good time anyway.

Archived