They Can't Cut Back Any More ... Or Can They?

jewopaho

Factual, but it has little to othing to do with Carnival's bottom line, it is more an issue to help the smaller TAs be able to compete as I understand it at least.

Benevolent Carnival is doing this for the good of all.:rolleyes:

Do you really believe CCL is doing this out of an intense need to help the little guy??????

REALLY? :confused:

The TAs are paying the same price to Carnival for the cabbins, OBC or not ... So where does Carnival proffit on it?

They will eventually drive away the TA's and no longer have to pay any commission - that is where Carnival will benefit greatly!

I can see why a few would still want a travel agent.........assuming a few things, but......

If you are rich, I would assume its easier to pay someone to do something for you.

If you are a busy person, its also easier to let someone else handle details

If you are just obliged to having someone else to the leg work

But I fear that the age of the middleman (travel agent) is coming to an end. As a 28 year old, I do stuff myself. I'm a researcher by profession, so if I want to know something..........I search it out myself. I'm surprised at myself for actually have a PVP. Normally, I would just online and book it all myself, but he called me after my first cruise, seemed nice, don't have to technically pay for him and its just as easy to book as online. Then I can go online and do all the other stuff like payments and stuff.

But, I figure there will always be people who want someone else to do it for them, so a few elite travel agents will probably hang on.........or maybe the travel agent will find a way to re-invent their profession so you need them still...........I kinda hope so, I think its a neat job.

I can see why a few would still want a travel agent.........assuming a few things, but......

If you are rich, I would assume its easier to pay someone to do something for you.

If you are a busy person, its also easier to let someone else handle details

If you are just obliged to having someone else to the leg work

But I fear that the age of the middleman (travel agent) is coming to an end. As a 28 year old, I do stuff myself. I'm a researcher by profession, so if I want to know something..........I search it out myself. I'm surprised at myself for actually have a PVP. Normally, I would just online and book it all myself, but he called me after my first cruise, seemed nice, don't have to technically pay for him and its just as easy to book as online. Then I can go online and do all the other stuff like payments and stuff.

But, I figure there will always be people who want someone else to do it for them, so a few elite travel agents will probably hang on.........or maybe the travel agent will find a way to re-invent their profession so you need them still...........I kinda hope so, I think its a neat job.

:confused: You do know that there are many agencies out there on line (not B&M agencies) where you can do all the leg work yourself and don't ever have to speak to anyone but still get OBC, right??????...and that you don't need to be rich for this???

I don't understand all the comments like this at all.... :confused::confused::confused:

What does being rich have to do with having a travel agent????

Maybe because you are 28, you might not grasp that there may be a few seniors out there that don't have computers...and are NOWHERE near rich, but actually need a TA??? :confused:

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say in your post...

Im surprised they can do that on a site that you dont have to sign into first. Carnival already had in place rules that only allowed a very tiny OBC since its a form of discounting.

Are you sure you dont have to sign in to see this advertising?

My TA has a round about way of discounting .. so it is still done. But the prices and OBC are not allowed to be openly advertised. This has not changed. My TA is still discounting btw .. nothing has changed. Those that know how to get around the rules are still going to do it.

On my TA's web site, you don't have to sign in...you can see it, anyone can. That's why I do not agree that TA's are trying to "sneak" OBC...why would they? It may change for Carnival starting Aug 1 but its still very much in place for other cruise lines.

One of the avantages to using a B & M TA is that they can access more airfares at any one time than you yourself can. Also, they can book with an air consolidator at a much lower price. Many passengers need air reservations and pre and post hotels. Cruise line air routing is not guaranteed to be the most direct route (connections) or at the most convenient time.

If you have not sailed with a line previously or have not been on a particular ship, TAs get feedback from their clients or have themselves been the passenger and you may want to know what to expect before booking.

AARP, Cruise Critic, American Express along with the other big credit card companies have all offered OBCs and other things for individual and group bookings as incentives to book with them. Do you seriouslyn think they will stop doing this?

MARAPRINCE

Do you really believe CCL is doing this out of an intense need to help the little guy??????

Find that a little hard to believe also.

Why would CCL care whether a big travel agency or little agency is selling their cruises? As long as any agency is selling a lot of their cruises, would it really matter if that agency is large or small?

Factual, but it has little to othing to do with Carnival's bottom line, it is more an issue to help the smaller TAs be able to compete as I understand it at least.

I will save the bay bridge for you.

Find that a little hard to believe also.

Why would CCL care whether a big travel agency or little agency is selling their cruises? As long as any agency is selling a lot of their cruises, would it really matter if that agency is large or small?

And the Golden Gate Bridge for you. I have several other bridges for sale too, if you are interested.

Carny wants more direct bookings, pure and simple.

I just received the following e-mail message as part of an ad from my online TA ...

"Due to policy changes by Carnival Cruise Lines, onboard credits will no longer be offered as of August 1, 2012 ...."

Has anyone else heard of this? Does it only apply to this TA ... all TA's ... all fares, no matter how booked? If true, will prices be reduced commensurately? I'm trying to ferret out some more information, thus far without success. Before I launch into a diatribe, I'd like to know that what I'm concluding is factual.

Anybody????

tis true.

i suppose the cutbacks will be done when you find oars in your stateroom

Major companies who sell products /services utilizing both direct sales and channel partners are constantly tweaking their channel programs. They do this to increase profits . Many companies who used channel / resellers exclusively started to selling direct. While they still needed their resellers they ramped us the direct engines , built online stores, made it easier and more convenient for their customers.. and while they were doing this they reduce their ( cost of goods sold// COS).

One of example is Michael Dell, when he started Dell computers, he had competitors ( Compaq, Hp ) that used resellers exclusively , those resellers made very nice margins . hp and Compaq could not keep up they went to selling direct and while they were doing it they placated their valued resellers with different incentive, rules and program changes , but at the end of the day a very small percentage today is sold thru resellers for core products.

I expect that Carnival is close but not that close to eliminating all resellers as we are still in a transition state , like others have posted there are people who still like the face to face, have no computers or simply like the convenience. But I do believe it coming.

However during this transition one thing is for certain , as with all sales and channel programs until its completely eliminated , there will always be companies who will find work arounds and somehow make incentives available

The TAs are paying the same price to Carnival for the cabbins, OBC or not ... So where does Carnival proffit on it?

Lets say you own a vacation condo that your rent it out for 2k a week. If you find your renters you keep the entire 2k. If a 3rd party finds the renter lets say you pay them $200.00 finders fee. You now only make $1,800.00 vs the 2k. You find out that the 3rd party is giving renters a $100.00 dollar kick back. You feel like they are getting more bookings on your condo because the renters are using the 3rd party to save $100. It would be in your best interest to not allow the kick back in hopes to get more of the booking directly saving you from paying the $200.00 commission.

This makes more sense being that Carnival has such a huge website that I believe most people visit when researching a cruise. When potential cruisers see that they are going to pay the exact same rate regardless of whether they book with a TA or the cruise line and realize that is is easier to deal directly with Carnival, they will book directly with Carnival which will save them having to pay the commission.

Why could the TA not just send a check to their clients for the obc?

Of course they could. But then Carnival uses mystery shoppers to keep tabs on what the travel agents are doing, and if the travel agent offers cash back, the hammer falls.

It has everything to do with the bottom line. If people use CCL to book and not a TA, CCL does not have to pay a commission. No commission = more money.

Yes, really.

Do you possibly have any facts to back up what you claim?

BTW I notice all the usually suspects are here bashing Carnival.

Just another day on CC.

Yes, really.

Just another day on CC.

For the record, I am not bashing Carnival. In fact, I just took my first Carnival cruise and can say I am going to book Carnival for my next cruise.

But, Carnival corp is here to make money. They sell cruises to make money. Everything EVERYTHING they do is to add to their bottom line. PERIOD. They would not waste the time, money or resources to help TA's or the like. If they add, cut or change any of their policies or services it is in hopes to make more money. Every move is a calculated move to add more green. Does this make them evil? NO. Does it make them out to get the little guy? NO. Do they think it will help their revenue? YES. Bet on that.

They Can't Cut Back Any More ... Or Can They?

Disagree with your title. This is not a cut back. I think it's a mistake and bad for everyone, but it is not a cut back

They will eventually drive away the TA's and no longer have to pay any commission - that is where Carnival will benefit greatly!

Yes. So silly. TA's are the equivalent of outsourcing . I believe Carnival will not save the $$$s they think they will.

Cruise4Music.

Just another day on CC.Well or course. Do you think they would miss a thread with a title like this?

Carnival is simply gambling on the idea that the incremental cost of booking more passenger directly by their employees will be less than the amount of commissions being paid to travel agencies to do the same thing. The amount of the OBC that the travel agency has nothing to do with this because the fact that the OBC credit has to be purchased by the travel agency, not the traveller nor is it given out by Carnival. therefore, Carnival still gets the cash from the sale and profits when the transactions spending the OBC occur. The thought of the OBC also encourages the traveller to increase his/her spending, and many compy, to which Carnival is grateful.

Okay, I just have a quick question. I'm sure if I dig deep enough the answer lies here somewhere but thought this would be quicker: If we booked our cruise about three months ago for next March through a private agent, and he promised us $100 in OBC for the type of room we booked, will we still get that? Or, is this just for new bookings after August? I'd hate to think that yet again, something already promised at the time of booking is being yanked away AGAIN by Carnival. We booked in April for next March. :confused:

Carnival loses money every time a TA books. So if there is no incentive to book with a TA more people will book on the Carnival site and that is a very large sum of money indeed. BTW I book online with carnival myself.

Yes, really.

Just another day on CC.

Just because someone posts that CCL is doing this to make money, doesn't mean they are bashing Carnival. We are Platinum on CCL and RCI, and I feel this has everything to do with their bottom line, not trying to help out any "little guy."

Okay, I just have a quick question. I'm sure if I dig deep enough the answer lies here somewhere but thought this would be quicker: If we booked our cruise about three months ago for next March through a private agent, and he promised us $100 in OBC for the type of room we booked, will we still get that? Or, is this just for new bookings after August? I'd hate to think that yet again, something already promised at the time of booking is being yanked away AGAIN by Carnival. We booked in April for next March. :confused:

Just checking in to see if anyone knows the answer to this.

Archived