How to deal with milk in ports

goofy810

we are taking our DD who will be 16 months old on her second cruise in Sept it is going to be canada and us ports, her first cruise she was 12 months old and drank milk and forumla so when in port we just gave her formula and puffs (snacks) so no issue with bringing fruit or milk off the ship, however she now only drinks milk and needs her mid day fruit or she is a pain, I dont want to have to stop at a store every time we get off the ship does anyone know if there is a way to bring that stuff off for a baby i know the signs say no fruit or vegies off the ship what about milk ? and what can we bring to stand in for fruit ? thanks

If you can bring a sealed container of milk (put it in a baggie with some ice from your ice bucket), that will be fine. It's pasturized and all....

You'll probably have to settle for cheerios or another "finger food" for snacks....she can get her fruits and veggies on the ship. Might want to start getting her used to the new "diet" a few days ahead of time. Of course, you can bring jarred baby food (fruits), if she'll still eat that.

Shelf stable milk does not require refrigeration, it is available in single servings and is sealed so you can bring it on and off ship as needed.

Hershey's at least used to have a brand (I don't see it at my local grocery any longer) and I believe Bordan also has a identical aseptic packaged milk and there is that organic brand (Horizon Organic? it has "organic" in the company title, and has a cute "flying cow" logo) that is pretty widely available.

If it is ok with your pediatrian and DD, you may also want to try soy or almond milk just for during your off-board adventures - also shelf-stable and widely available single serving packages.

Dole has all kinds of fruit in sealed single servings for lunch boxes. Also, Target has organic fruit leathers and fruit roll.

We travel with the Horizon milk singles mentioned above - makes it easy and doesn't have to be kept cold.

Best,

Mia

Dole has all kinds of fruit in sealed single servings for lunch boxes. Also' date=' Target has organic fruit leathers and fruit roll.

We travel with the Horizon milk singles mentioned above - makes it easy and doesn't have to be kept cold.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks for mentioning this. I have a similar issue...my 28 month old still enjoys (warm) milk at bedtime. I was wondering how I was going to heat it up but I think room temperature will be fine. Yippe, love this board!

Thanks for mentioning this. I have a similar issue...my 28 month old still enjoys (warm) milk at bedtime. I was wondering how I was going to heat it up but I think room temperature will be fine. Yippe, love this board!

I would think room service would bring you warm milk.

Best,

Mia

We love the freeze dried fruit for travels. Doesn't spoil or make much of a mess. I find it at whole foods type places isn't cheap but great for no frig! Target and sometimes Walmart grocery have them too. Not the same as dried fruit. These are not chewy.

Your food must be pre packaged - so the fruit will have to be as well. The dried fruit The others mentioned will be an option or maybe the fruit in a cup (like Dole)?

And when my girls were younger - someone mentioned to me about the "shelf stable milk" - I had never heard of it before but I bought some for the cruise and it worked like a charm ;)

I was at Woodman's last night and in their produce area they had the "squeeze fruit" stuff (Buddy). It can be a tad bit pricey (but better prices at Woodman's, or Walmart, or the like than at the camping supply stores). Check the organic food aisle for other options as well (fruit leathers, freeze dried, etc.).

Many will have single serve condiment type packages of almond butter (or peanutbutter if your little one does peanuts) and the small pkgs of rice cakes (or start grabbing an extra pouch of crackers at you local salad bar :) !)

• 2 weeks later...

We got milk off the buffet in the morning or ordered from room service and took it off the ship no problem. We put into dippy cups in a small cooler that attached to our stroller (City mini). We didn't take off fruits or fresh foods. I think we raided little boxes of Cheerios from the buffet also.

Glad I read this! We have to bring almond milk for our LO and I was told it should be factory sealed and shelf stable, which is no problem.

Should I bring this on in my carry on since it's a bit fragile? Will that be an issue? I could always pack it, but I worry about it bursting.

Glad I read this! We have to bring almond milk for our LO and I was told it should be factory sealed and shelf stable, which is no problem.

Should I bring this on in my carry on since it's a bit fragile? Will that be an issue? I could always pack it, but I worry about it bursting.

Yes! Pack anything important like that in a carryon :) You just never know how the bags will be handled or how late they will arrive to your cabin.

Yes! Pack anything important like that in a carryon :) You just never know how the bags will be handled or how late they will arrive to your cabin.

Thanks!

So I can bring those baby food pouches and sealed packs of animal crackers, etc? Or no? I feel like I'm not getting straight answers anywhere.

Thanks!

So I can bring those baby food pouches and sealed packs of animal crackers, etc? Or no? I feel like I'm not getting straight answers anywhere.

Commercially packaged fruits and veggies can be brought onshore. Fresh fruit cannot be brought onshore. So those new pouches and animal crackers are good.

What you cannot bring onshore will be in your ship paper, port info and just before you leave the ship. We have seen much fine fruit dumped in the trash because pax weren't following the rules.

We are well past toddlerhood and still bring store bought snacks offshore.

Archived