General currency question throughout Canada

Do we need Canadian Dollars for public transportation, attractions, convenience stores and small venders in Canada. We plan to us US Dollars and credit cards for our upcoming cruise. We are planning to use ferries, busses, funicular when in port. We may want a soda or snack from a convenience store or see an individual selling a propriatory item. Any where else we will need Canadian currency.

Thanks

Dave

Even though we are neighbors, Canada is still a foreign country with its own laws, rules, government and CURRENCY. Without meaning to be rude, I think that many Americans are not mindful of this and seem to think that everyoee everywhere should be willing to accept U.S. currency without hesitation.

Out of respect to their neighbors to the South, many Canadian merchants can and will accept U.S. currency but may not give any exchange rate. Public and Government entities usually do not.

I do suggest you do enter Canada with some local currency, and you will find it much easier to get around. What do you think that a New York cab driver would do if one of his passengers handed him some Euros for the ride?

(I say this as a U.S. citizen who was born and raised in Canada, and is still proud of it!) :)

I'm from the vancouver area...most places will accept us monies but you will get a better rate if you change monies before you leave or use your debit card in canada. It always is easier to have some monies of the country you are travelling to

Most merchants will charge a few percent exchange but with our dollars being so even lately I'm finding most are exchanging at par.

Your credit card will charge 1.5% or more to exchange too so depending on the current rates of the day you might find an advantage paying cash.

Don't know of anyone here in Victoria, BC that doesn't take US.

I do a little tour guiding here as a retirement job and have no difficulty accepting $US.

Welcome to Canada. I hope the locals teat you well.

Most merchants will charge a few percent exchange but with our dollars being so even lately I'm finding most are exchanging at par.

Your credit card will charge 1.5% or more to exchange too so depending on the current rates of the day you might find an advantage paying cash.

Don't know of anyone here in Victoria, BC that doesn't take US.

I do a little tour guiding here as a retirement job and have no difficulty accepting $US.

Welcome to Canada. I hope the locals teat you well.

Thanks for the info: We will be in the East ie Halifax,Quebec City,Sydney and CornerBrook. If you use a Capital One card, there isn't any charge to exchange currencies. Private tours take either and we decide which is to our advantage. We have found that busses, ferries require the currency of the country and in some cases exact change. If we bring small denominations of our currency, we can get away with small coins returned for our purchases which can be consumed before we leave the country.

Dave

Do we need Canadian Dollars for public transportation, attractions, convenience stores and small venders in Canada. We plan to us US Dollars and credit cards for our upcoming cruise. We are planning to use ferries, busses, funicular when in port. We may want a soda or snack from a convenience store or see an individual selling a propriatory item. Any where else we will need Canadian currency.

Thanks

Dave

Although Canada is sovereign as mentioned above, there are regional variations especially in small areas that cater to tourists from USA. If you are traveling to Saint John, New Brunswick your $USD is widely accepted no problem, including on public transportation and taxis. No need to exchange money for this destination. Many merchants give $USD change back (indicated by sign) but most will give you $CDN change. Fair exchange rate typically posted by register.

The Discover card does not charge the premium for using it out of the US. You only pay the US amount converted from the local currency. The only drawback is that the Discover card is not as commonly accepted as the Visa card.

The best thing to do is to get some local currency when in a different country. It is not unusual for the local merchants to "stick it" to the tourists by adding very high conversion fees for the hassle of taking non-local currency.

The Discover card does not charge the premium for using it out of the US. You only pay the US amount converted from the local currency. The only drawback is that the Discover card is not as commonly accepted as the Visa card.

The best thing to do is to get some local currency when in a different country. It is not unusual for the local merchants to "stick it" to the tourists by adding very high conversion fees for the hassle of taking non-local currency.

As someone that is just looking to get a taxi to and from the airport, to go on a cruise, it seems like a pain to stand in a line you do not know where it is, and get money for an amount you do not know. Then, you do not get enough, it is a problem, if you get too much, it is a problem.

I am sure I am not the only one that is thinking this. I do respect local currencies and have exchanged for currency in Europe for overnight stays. This was about 7 years ago and I still have some of that currency. H

As someone that is just looking to get a taxi to and from the airport, to go on a cruise, it seems like a pain to stand in a line you do not know where it is, and get money for an amount you do not know. Then, you do not get enough, it is a problem, if you get too much, it is a problem.

I am sure I am not the only one that is thinking this. I do respect local currencies and have exchanged for currency in Europe for overnight stays. This was about 7 years ago and I still have some of that currency. H

It may be easier for those of us on a Canadian border but, prior to any visits to Canada I simply run to my bank and exchange my money there. Your bank may not have it on hand, but they can get it within a day or so, and they will give you a better exchange rate than say, a kiosk at the airport. I don't typically ask for bills, but I do get some loonies and toonies for transportation to the cruise terminal. :cool:

I look at it this way, I don't like getting Canadian change (their coins do not work in our vending machines, parking meters, etc) and I'm sure that my Canadian friends don't like getting American coins either!!!;):o

It may be easier for those of us on a Canadian border but, prior to any visits to Canada I simply run to my bank and exchange my money there. Your bank may not have it on hand, but they can get it within a day or so, and they will give you a better exchange rate than say, a kiosk at the airport. I don't typically ask for bills, but I do get some loonies and toonies for transportation to the cruise terminal. :cool:

I look at it this way, I don't like getting Canadian change (their coins do not work in our vending machines, parking meters, etc) and I'm sure that my Canadian friends don't like getting American coins either!!!;):o

I will try the bank. I think they charge a 10% fee in SC. H

If we bring small denominations of our currency, we can get away with small coins returned for our purchases which can be consumed before we leave the country.

Canadian vending machines in my experience are set to accept US coins.

US coins in Canada are treated as if they are Canadian.

Many Canadians sift through their pocket change to collect US coins, especially when the exchange rate favours US as it does at the moment to use when we travel to the US where Canadian coins aren't accepted. (Confession: I have about $20 in US pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters in a plastic bag now from sifting).

I buy my US through INGDirect but your easiest way for you to exchange at a decent rate will probably be at one of our banks when you come.

I can't speak for Central Canada or the East Coast but out here on the West Coast, Vancouver and Victoria, (it felt more like the wet coast today) virtually all retailers, restaurants and service providers including taxis will accept US currency. About the only thing that you can't use US currency on is transit but the ticket machines for SkyTrain and Canada Line will accept most US credit cards and ATM cards. Even our government run liquor stores and the Canadian Post office accept it. However, this acceptance is done as a courtesy and only Canadian currency is legal tender in Canada so you will very likely receive your change in Canadian funds....keep your notes small or you will have a fine collection of our $1 and $2 coins.

Do you know if Sea-Tac airport in Seattle has an exchange counter or machine? How about Canada Place?

SEATAC would have a currency exchange counter however at Canada Place there is an ATM on the ground floor of the Pan Pacific and across the street in the Waterfront Centre there is ScotiaBank ATM machine.

Hi All: Thanks for the replies! I assume you have ATM machines in all the major ports where we can secure minor traveling money. Fortunately we will only need Canadian currency for ferries, funiculars and light snacks.

Dave

Do you know if Sea-Tac airport in Seattle has an exchange counter or machine? How about Canada Place?

There are banks and credit unions everywhere here. Sometimes currency exchanges are hard to notice but you'll have no trouble finding banks to exchange at.

Fortunately we will only need Canadian currency for ferries, funiculars and light snacks...

Are you speaking specifically of the one in Quebec City? If so, I know for a fact they accept US dollars. There was a handwritten sign with the price in both currencies, just so you know.

But if you'll have Canadian anyway, all the better. :)

I live in Newfoundland (where Corner Brook is) and often visit the other towns you will be visiting. Halifax, Sydney and Corner Brook are not near the border and while some businesses will accept US$ when the ship is in port, the will not be able to give US change. All towns will have ATMs at the banks where you will be able to withdraw Canadian money and you will be able to use you Visa or Master Card or debit everywhere. Discover is an American credit card and does not have wide acceptance outside of the US. Halifax and Quebec city are larger cities but Sydney and Corner Brook are under 50,000.

The Canadian banking system is far more unified than the American one and have a very sophisticated system for debit and ATM that will allow you to use your American banking cards in Canada. Best option is probably to withdraw from the ATM locally. If you wanted to you could take your US$ to a bank in your last port and get US$ back.

Molly

Thanks

Dave

If you are visiting several ports I would get some Canadian cash. That's what we do. It will make it a lot easier for you as some places either won't take USA currency or will give you a poor exchange rate.

As to Credit Card be sure to have or get a card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee on each purchase.

Keith

Are you speaking specifically of the one in Quebec City? If so, I know for a fact they accept US dollars. There was a handwritten sign with the price in both currencies, just so you know.

But if you'll have Canadian anyway, all the better. :)

Hi Karen: Yes I was speaking of Quebec City! We were interested in the ferry to Levis in the evening to see the city at nite from another vantage point. We will secure some Canadian$ in Halifax to cover us for the trip

Thanks

Dave

Hi Karen: Yes I was speaking of Quebec City! We were interested in the ferry to Levis in the evening to see the city at nite from another vantage point. We will secure some Canadian$ in Halifax to cover us for the trip

Thanks

Dave

Most tourist places in QC will probably accept US$, but always best to have CA$. There's an ATM in the cruise terminal.

Taking the ferry is a great idea - the view of the city is pretty spectacular.

Most tourist places in QC will probably accept US$, but always best to have CA$. There's an ATM in the cruise terminal.

Taking the ferry is a great idea - the view of the city is pretty spectacular.

Thanks! What is the procedure at the ferry terminal? Do they have ticket booths? Plan to do a round trip early evening to enjoy the city lights at nite. Will pickup tickets during the day if it is easier.

Dave

If all you need to do is pay for a taxi why not just use a credit card. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted in Canada. Not certain what city you are sailing in/out of however most cities in Canada I have been too the cabs are setup to handled credit cards.

Archived