HAL Officers on Formal Night?

sail7seas

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. Mark Twain

Mark Twain also said in Following the Equator:

"We must put up with our clothes as they are -- they have their reason for existing. They are on us to expose us -- to advertise what we wear them to conceal. They are a sign; a sign of insincerity; a sign of suppressed vanity; a pretense that we desire gorgeous colors and the graces of harmony and form; and we put them on to propagate that lie and back it up."

And this in Mark Twain's Notebook

"Strip the human race, absolutely naked, and it would be a real democracy. But the introduction of even a rag of tiger skin, or a cowtail, could make a badge of distinction and be the beginning of a monarchy."

I'm not saying it is fine to dress like Cousin Eddie from the Vacation films to formal events just for so, but a yob in a tux is a tuxedoed yob and harpy in a dress is a dressed harpy.

Derek

My opinion of what's "problematic":

someone knows in advance about a policy

doesn't like it

books anyway

ignores the policy, and maybe also justifies ignoring it.

Why problematic? It's rude.

Non-smokers berating smokers who are following the smoking policy: rude. When smoking in cabins was allowed, it was my job to cope with something I didn't like, and be polite about it.

Lido in smart casual on formal nights, jeans in the MDR on smart casual nights, shorts at night on deck, not in public rooms....none ignores the dress policy. Not rude. Indicates coping with something you don't like, and being polite about it.

Going to the MDR on formal nights not dressed in what policy defines as formal? Rude.

"My dressing the way I want doesn't prevent you dressing the way you want."

Of course not. But it misses the point. When almost everyone follows the policy/request/suggestion, then people "complement your fellow guests", as HAL puts it.

It's disingenuous to pretend not to get that.

As long as HAL continues to make the request/suggestion, and attempts to create "festive formal evenings", it's polite to comply. Not polite to HAL, but polite to the fellow guests.

Everyone that follows the request/suggestion expects or hopes others will. If they mainly do, the plan works.

If they don't...it doesn't.

It's not about clothes. Trivial.

It's about courtesy. Important.

When people try to pretend the whole thing is trivial, that's problematic.

In my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

My name is Patricia, and I approved this message.

As usual, no opinions were changed by broadcasting it.

Exactly........

wish there was a 'like' button, I'd be pushing it. :D

HAL has set the dress code or whever it is called. It is their job to enforce it or not. If I show up at the MDR for dinner on formal night and am seated and given dinner the way I am dressed must be ok for HAL. My job is not to make the other pass happy unless they want to help pay my fare. As has been said I should respect my host who is me first as I paid the bill and second HAL as they run the ship.

I'm not saying it is fine to dress like Cousin Eddie from the Vacation films to formal events just for so, but a yob in a tux is a tuxedoed yob and harpy in a dress is a dressed harpy.

Derek

Oh, but Cousin Eddie's blue leisure suit, heinous as it was, fell under HAL's dress code guidelines. ;/

Here's an idea......

Officers go to the trouble of putting on their starched white shirts, bow ties, form fitting jackets and tuxedo pants/skirts..... getting dressed so handsomely and sportless for formal night and I think most of us admire them. They set such a great tone and seeing them is a treat.

Should they bother?

Maybe they can stop 'going to the trouble' on our behalf.

If so many guests are saying I'll wear what I want to be comfortable, should the Officers be permitted to relax their dress code as well?

Do you care?

Do you notice?

If you happen to be invited to dine with one (or have an Officer join your table) for formal night, do you notice and/or care what he or she is wearing?

Just wondering........ :cool:

I don't think they're "going to the trouble" of dressing in formal attire; they are simply following the requirements expected of them from HAL corporate. They are, after all, HAL employees.

On the other hand, I don't understand how this has morphed into yet another boring "dress code" thread.

I don't think they're "going to the trouble" of dressing in formal attire; they are simply following the requirements expected of them from HAL corporate. They are, after all, HAL employees.

On the other hand, I don't understand how this has morphed into yet another boring "dress code" thread.

Maybe you tell us why we don't see more Officers out about on Formal Nights.

Maybe you tell us why we don't see more Officers out about on Formal Nights.

On the Rotterdam the present Captain, Robert Jan Kan, was seen Formal nights as well as some Casual nights making the rounds of the lounges, especially the Ocean Bar and Piano Bar, talking to passengers This Captain is one of the best: very serious about the job, extremely sincere, graciously answers questions, comes to the VIP Party and stays the whole time, does a very interesting Voice from the Bridge and mingles with the passengers as noted above.

Archived