What to wear in steam room/sauna

mandis

My personal trainer said that it would be great to use the steam room and sauna for 10 minutes each per day followed by a cold shower. We are going on the Spirit. I have never done either, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it ok to wear a bathing suit? I googled what to wear and couldn't find a real answer. I know to bring a towel to sit on but that was all I could find on what peope wear. I wouldn't be comfortable if I was sitting in there surrounded with other women wearing nothing.

I have only used the sauna once and yes there was an older lady (looked 68-75) butt naked laying down on a towel. When I left the sauna a few minutes later I saw her strolling around the locker area, still naked. So yes, people do go naked!

I wrap a towel around myself to go into the sauna. When inside I sit on a towel (the bench is hot) and put a towel over my lap. I think a bathing suit would be uncomfortable. When I get out I take a shower. I usually go before getting ready for dinner. It is invigorating and a nice way to start the evening. In 27 cruises I have never seen anyone in a swim suit, nor have I ever seen anyone butt naked. The sauna/steamroom area is just like a gym locker room.

We had a spa room on the Dream last August and used the sauna/steamroom/etc. every day. Everyone I saw had on a swimsuit. I did not see one person nude with a towel.

Maggie

The Dream (and The Splendor) steam and saunas that are open to spa cabins are coed, so that would explain "Everyone I saw had on a swimsuit. I did not see one person nude with a towel."

The benefit is having as much skin exposed to the steam and heat. If modesty prevents that, that's your choice.

On the guys side, most are nude. But you do see some in bathing suits. And yes, you can wear what you like.

Birthday suit but do not forget to set on a spa towel as the seats can get really hot :eek: in the sauna and steam rooms. Besides someone else in thier birthday suit may have just set there before you.:(

• Like 2

I go nude with twel wrapped around me. I have only rarely seen bathing suits or complete nudity. In the steam room i position the towel between my legs and lie back with one end under my hips and the other comes up to cover my breasts. I am short so this wont quite work for tall beauties. A steam is so refreshing and the less clothing the more comfortable. Your face will really feel great!

• 1 year later...
I have always worn a swimsuit, and in all my cruises on many lines (including Carnival) I have not seen one nude person (woman) in either a sauna or steam room. Some towel wrapped, and most in swimsuits.

My experience is the same on all the lines I have cruised on. I have never seen a woman in the nude, a couple had towels on but most were like me and wore a swimsuit.

Steam Rooms on ships with the Cloud 9 Spa are co-ed (Dream Class and Splendor) Bathing suits prevail are the way to steam. I can't imagine nudity in those co-ed steam baths.

On the ships without the Cloud 9 Spa, the Steam Rooms are in the locker rooms--Women only and Men only. In these steam rooms, you may come across a nude person steaming, but usually most go in nude with a towel/towels wrapped around them and also one to sit on. Most keep their towels on. The nude ones wear their towel to the steam room and then take them off in there and it's usually only crew that do this and it's not that often. There are plenty of towels in the locker room and a locker room attendant constantly refreshing them, etc.

• Like 1

Yeah what to wear depends on where the steam room/sauna are. If its co-ed than you have to wear a swimsuit. If they are in the locker rooms and thus single sex than most people wear only a towel or nothing at all. I was a personal trainer for several years, and very rarely did i ever see anyone in a steam/sauna wearing a swimsuit (I have never worked anywhere that had these facilities as co-ed, always in the locker rooms)

• Like 1