What to wear in steam room/sauna

mandis

Yeah what to wear depends on where the steam room/sauna are. If its co-ed than you have to wear a swimsuit. If they are in the locker rooms and thus single sex than most people wear only a towel or nothing at all. I was a personal trainer for several years, and very rarely did i ever see anyone in a steam/sauna wearing a swimsuit (I have never worked anywhere that had these facilities as co-ed, always in the locker rooms)

Single sex steam and saunas are made so that you can go nude. Or anyway you wish. The more covering, the less benefits, though.

People from the US are much more clothing conscious. Those from Europe less so. So what you do and see in your fitness club is probably your best guide. A swim suit can get quite clingy in sauna and steam rooms, so that is why I think most people go nekkid but draped in their towel.

I've been on several cruises but never to the spa/steam rooms/saunas. Are these available to all or are there charges? Thanks!

On carnival the "standard" spas are available for free. As others have mentioned, they are not co-ed. On the splendor and the dream class ships (and now the sunshine) have a cloud 9 spa. It is co-ed, offers a thalassotherapy pool and thermo suites. These facilities are co-ed and included if you book a spa stateroom. They do sell weekly and daily passes in limited number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People from the US are much more clothing conscious. Those from Europe less so. So what you do and see in your fitness club is probably your best guide. A swim suit can get quite clingy in sauna and steam rooms, so that is why I think most people go nekkid but draped in their towel.

Swimsuits do get "clingy" in the HOT steam rooms and this is exactly why I stay away from booking the Splendor and the Dream Class ships. I love the steam rooms and I refuse to go co-ed and have to wear a swimsuit. Ridiculous. I love steaming in my cotton towels--it's my alone time every day and I look so forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just came back from the Triumph. I love the sauna/steam rooms after a good workout. Who wants to wear clothes to a steam room? Defeats the whole purpose. On the men's side I'd say about 60-70%% of the people are just wearing a towel. Only saw one guy in the steam room go completely nude and I think he was an officer on the ship.

Think European and be comfortable, its not a modesty issue and no one is there taking notes. I think we Americans get too hung up on the issue.

Just came back from the Triumph. I love the sauna/steam rooms after a good workout. Who wants to wear clothes to a steam room? Defeats the whole purpose. On the men's side I'd say about 60-70%% of the people are just wearing a towel. Only saw one guy in the steam room go completely nude and I think he was an officer on the ship.

Think European and be comfortable, its not a modesty issue and no one is there taking notes. I think we Americans get too hung up on the issue.

I agree. Most resorts in Europe only have one steam room/sauna so everyone is in there together, most of them not wearing anything. Takes a little getting used to (and don't stare!) but after a while, you just don't seem to notice anymore.

Edited by Out to sea!

I have never been in a spa :o. What is a thalassotherapy pool and thermo suites?

Thalassotherapy pool is sorta like a huge hot tub with mineral salts and other stuff that makes your skin feel A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I talked DH into it last year on the Dream, basically, I just said, we are trying this, so there! DH said he lost all his man points because by the end of the week his hands were soft as a baby's butt! We are booked on the Dream again in a few weeks and his first comment? We are doing that spa thing again, right? LOL It's $250 per couple for unlimited access for the week. Also, you have unlimited access to several sauna rooms with various herbal steams, etc. And, they have these amazing heated stone loungers in one room that you would think would be uncomfortable but aren't in the least. If you book a spa room you get access to this area (of course those rooms cost more, so either way you pay extra). The spa passes are limited so the area is never really over crowded. We went several times and it was only us or one or two others. That was nice.

Out of courtesy for the other passengers a bathing suit would be more appropriote. It is a family oriented cruise ship after all. Of course it is very possible that you may run into some self-centered person who doesn't take this into consideration.

I regularly use a large fitness center and olympic pool in a military installation and even there no one walks around nude in the locker rooms. It's all about courtesy and having respect for others.

Cheers!

Cheers!

My personal trainer said that it would be great to use the steam room and sauna for 10 minutes each per day followed by a cold shower. We are going on the Spirit. I have never done either, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it ok to wear a bathing suit? I googled what to wear and couldn't find a real answer. I know to bring a towel to sit on but that was all I could find on what peope wear. I wouldn't be comfortable if I was sitting in there surrounded with other women wearing nothing.

Bathing suit is common.

My personal trainer said that it would be great to use the steam room and sauna for 10 minutes each per day followed by a cold shower. We are going on the Spirit. I have never done either, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it ok to wear a bathing suit? I googled what to wear and couldn't find a real answer. I know to bring a towel to sit on but that was all I could find on what peope wear. I wouldn't be comfortable if I was sitting in there surrounded with other women wearing nothing.

In my experience, usually men dress (or not dress) and women wear a bathing suit or nothing wrapped in a towel.

When I go in, I wear my swimsuit. Always take a towel to sit on regardless of what you wear or don't wear.

I remember having a cotton robe..maybe due to massage...

This was in simple least fancy Fantasy class but they had just redone the spa on Paradise in 2009 and they were not coed in each locker room and I thought it was so nice with the steam room, showers, and sauna...

Just as nice as the bigger and fancier one I had seen on the Star Princess years earlier like the newer Dream class..as far as new tile and access.

I had a towel to sit on..nude under robe and wrapped another towel under each arm but with back exposed undoing my robe when sitting down..the less people in there the better and in a few seconds in the the steam room when going..this precludes any visability !!! LOL..not much anyway!!.

Afterwords you are a relaxed muscle wet noodle showering and getting dressed..heaven.

Less people take advantage of less fancy spa areas sometimes making them even more relaxing.

Out of courtesy for the other passengers a bathing suit would be more appropriote. It is a family oriented cruise ship after all. Of course it is very possible that you may run into some self-centered person who doesn't take this into consideration.

I regularly use a large fitness center and olympic pool in a military installation and even there no one walks around nude in the locker rooms. It's all about courtesy and having respect for others.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I agree to a point, but you have to remember, these are not just Americans on a cruise ship with American customs. Many people from other countries cruise as well and have different customs than we do. If you were in Germany and went to use a steam room that uses Finnish rules (both sexes, no clothing) you would be discourteous to them by wearing a bathing suit and would be asked to leave. American customs and courtesies are not the only ones around.

• Like 1

What does it being a family-oriented cruise have to do with the spa? :confused:Children are not allowed in the spa area, at least not on any ship I've been on and I've been on many. People have the right to wear whatever they want as long as it's not against the cruise ship's rules, whatever those might be. I wear one of those wrap around, short, bath sheets and I'm nude under it. If anyone doesn't like it they can feel free to leave. It's not my responsibility to worry about what other people think if I'm not doing something that's against the ship's rules. If nudity is allowed and you're offended by it...that's your problem not the nude person's. It goes both ways. I always go by whatever the ship's rules are.

Edited by mousey

On Paradise, 90% of the people that used it while I was there used just a towel. A couple used underwear. One or two wore shorts, and one was fully clothed. I just sat nude on a towel. Some of the older guys did the same, or just made a half ass attempt to cover up the front. I noticed one or two crewmen that were nude sitting on towel.

"Clothing optional" means that clothing is optional. If you like being nude, be nude. If you prefer to wear a bathing suit, wear a bathing suit. If you are only relaxed in a tuxedo, wear a tuxedo. Someone probably feels the same way you do, and someone else probably feels differently. You are there to relax, so do what feels relaxing to you.

Edited by azlefty

It was a lot easier to deduce wgat to do when the jacuzzi and the sauna was together in a section of the locker room. Very few ever went in the jacuzzi with a suit on.

These days, I prepare to be nude, but go with the flow. The new steam rooms make it impossoble to wear a towell. And I've just replace the jacuzzi with the shower ever since they made the jacuzzi oe-ed.

What does it being a family-oriented cruise have to do with the spa? :confused:Children are not allowed in the spa area, at least not on any ship I've been on and I've been on many. People have the right to wear whatever they want as long as it's not against the cruise ship's rules, whatever those might be. I wear one of those wrap around, short, bath sheets and I'm nude under it If anyone doesn't like it they can feel free to leave. It's not my responsibility to worry about what other people think if I'm not doing something that's against the ship's rules. If nudity is allowed and you're offended by it...that's your problem not the nude person's. It goes both ways. I always go by whatever the ship's rules are.

If you are wearing a bath sheet then you are covered and not nude anymore than someone in a bathing suit. So you are wearing what you want and being discrete. It's nice that you are being considerate of others. That is a characteristic lacking in others in our society.

So if I am nude then how close to your face can I stand before you start to feel uncomfortable :eek: or is there some international distance in the steam room? After all, according to your way of thinking I have the right to do what I want. If you don't like it then that would be your problem and you can feel free to leave.

Covering yourself with a towel or bathing suit in these circumstances is not about right or wrong. It's about being considerate. As I said, "it's about courtesy and having respect for others."

Cheers!

Edited by Tantra1

If you are wearing a bath sheet then you are covered and not nude anymore than someone in a bathing suit. So you are wearing what you want and being discrete.

So if I am nude then how close to your face can I stand before you start to feel uncomfortable :eek: or is there some international distance in the steam room? After all, according to your way of thinking I have the right to do what I want. If you don't like it then that would be your problem and you can feel free to leave.

Covering yourself with a towel or bathing suit in these circumstances is not about right or wrong. It's being considerate. As I said, "it's about courtesy and having respect for others."

Cheers!

Depends on what you look like. :D