Educate this single cruiser please - best prices?

yecats

Okay, I am new to this board but not knew to cruising; however, I have yet to go solo. I have always traveled with family but am ready to go solo for pure relaxation. I'll generally try anything once but I do live on a budget and can usually afford a cruise a year (7 to 10 days with 10 days preferred). So let me ask you, what is the best price you've ever cruised for, cruise line, time of year and length of cruise and were you in the cabin by yourself of had the cruise line find a roommate for you? Thanks for the educational tips.

Never done a solo before but the price for a single on the CC Conquering the Conquest in October 2006 had a small charge over the double occupancy that I just couldn't pass up. Check it out! Only $250 deposit to book a single room and no additional payment until April 2006.

Hi:) the best price for 2 different cruises.....I went to the Southern Caribbean in December on Constellation. Got the cruise at a HAPPY HOUR PRICE:D for a balcony too! Solo price was 930.00 that was including port charges and sales tax. I had to fly down to San Juan, but it was worth it:)

My other pest price was to Mexican Riveria in March 2004 and that was out of San Francisco.....that price was FANTASTIC....740.00 TOTAL......I did have to fly out there but I couldn't turn down that cruise. It was on Mercury and it was awesome too.

Those kind of prices don't happen too often (for solo's) but they can be found!

The good single fares are out there, if you search diligently and have a little luck! I went on Rhapsody OTS in March of 2003 for around $625 (single-occupancy of a Category H outside for a 7-day Western Caribbean from Galveston)--I may never be able to beat that, and it would have been an amazingly affordable trip if my airfare to Houston hadn't been $320. This September I've got a Category VE balcony cabin on Zuiderdam for $1159 (single-occupancy for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale), which is actually less than I spent for a Category 8A balcony on Carnival when I went with a friend. These prices all include port charges, taxes, and fees. It can be done! Never been brave enough to try the random roommate.

Lois--very curious to know your secret for getting these great deals on Celebrity. Those Mexican Riviera trips on Mercury have my interest, but anytime I've priced them, I find that I'd need a second mortgage to pay for it. I'm starting to take that "X" personally... :rolleyes:

Hi bcc:)

The Constellation was on a HAPPY HOUR and I was able to take advantage of it.

Normally HAPPY HOUR pricing covers cruises that are within a 2 month period(and closer) so you have to be able to go, sort of at the last minute.

That Mercury cruise......that one, I remember looking at the X website.....early in 2004.......and so I called my TA and asked her about the "low price", even for a solo.......it was rare, I will admit.

I don't know, sort of like "Supply and Demand". But I jumped on it:) and ended up having one of my BEST CRUISES EVER:D

I am sailing the Mexican Riveria again this October. It will be my first time sharing a cabin! I am going with a friend from these boards. And she just emailed me that our price went DOWN 200.00:D Happy, Happy! We are going out of LA on the SUMMIT!

Yecats,

I've consistently gotten good single fares on Holland America when I book guarantee cabins during the off season. For instance, Alaska in May or the Caribbean during the first 2 weeks of December. I generally get the cabins for a 140% single supplement, as opposed to the 200% (or more!) on other lines.

Roz

I just found out that there out single cabins available on some older ships like NCL and Holland but they didn't say which ships. They did mention the QE2 had 122 single cabins available. They say they sell out quick.

I can help with those.

Archived