Newbie questions

SeaBunny

We're seriously thinking of booking Oceania but after reading a few reviews, I have questions:

I've seen complaints about limited opening times for the various restaurants and that there is no food service (snacks type) in between other than room service. Is that accurate?

I like that on Oceania all the food and non-alcoholic drinks are free, whenever, wherever. If you go to a bar, you can get soft drinks or flat or sparkling mineral water for free, if you choose. Baristas for coffee and a snack when you come back from a day out is great. Double shot cappuccino! One day we ordered coffee in our room in the late afternoon.

Afternoon tea is a proper afternoon tea - tea pots, waiters with fancy sandwiches, a sweets trolley that comes around as you relax, and a string quartet. Lovely.

We were surprised how effortlessly it worked to order a bottle of wine in a specialty restaurant and then get it the next day in the main dining room. Also very pleased with the cocktails of the day. Good value. Mind you, my husband is planning to have another expresso-tini (name?) next cruise. He said it was great.

And I really like being brought my juice and coffee at breakfast in the Terrace Cafe. I was surprised that I had to fetch it myself on the Celebrity Solstice.

And by the way, even with inside cabins, you can reserve once in each of the four specialty restaurants before the cruise (free!). Just check the date online and do it as soon as you are allowed, for best availability. You may also be able to get extra reservations on board if there are cancellations or no-shows.

I like that on Oceania all the food and non-alcoholic drinks are free, whenever, wherever. If you go to a bar, you can get soft drinks or flat or sparkling mineral water for free, if you choose. Baristas for coffee and a snack when you come back from a day out is great. Double shot cappuccino! One day we ordered coffee in our room in the late afternoon.

Afternoon tea is a proper afternoon tea - tea pots, waiters with fancy sandwiches, a sweets trolley that comes around as you relax, and a string quartet. Lovely.

We were surprised how effortlessly it worked to order a bottle of wine in a specialty restaurant and then get it the next day in the main dining room. Also very pleased with the cocktails of the day. Good value. Mind you, my husband is planning to have another expresso-tini (name?) next cruise. He said it was great.

And I really like being brought my juice and coffee at breakfast in the Terrace Cafe. I was surprised that I had to fetch it myself on the Celebrity Solstice.

And by the way, even with inside cabins, you can reserve once in each of the four specialty restaurants before the cruise (free!). Just check the date online and do it as soon as you are allowed, for best availability. You may also be able to get extra reservations on board if there are cancellations or no-shows.

Precisely Tansy, and those items that you mention are just a few of the hundreds of small details, that build into what many of us consider to be the finest cruise experience today.

The decision makers at Oceania seem to be very astute when it comes to deciding where to place their resources in order to keep their core audience enthralled. The Beverage Packages were a wonderful addition in 2012, and (although I was against them at first) the free port shuttles lend an effortless quality to re-visiting a port that I found very pleasant.

I do not care how many packages they offer AS LONG AS I CAN STILL CHOOSE to buy or not buy. Once O turns into Regent, I will go elsewhere. I hope that never happens.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I can see pacheco's logic in choosing whether or not to pay in advance for drinks, excursions, etc. if you don't want them. I agree about Regent and the excursions.

The ad I saw (can' do a link, sorry) was in the post from a UK agent, but printed on what I am sure is an Oceania ad, offering what is obviously a special deal for bookings before end Sept. 'New complimentary upgrades and complimentary wines and spirits', plus up to 51% savings and up to $500 onboard credit. This on cruises in the Caribbean Nov to March (just a few) and Marina Jewels of the Pacific, Nautica Voyage of the Connoisseurs, Marina Grand Panama Canal, Riviera Mayan Mystique and Nautica Pyramids and the Holy Land, all next March, April and May. It is not clear if flights are included - I suspect not.

I do not care how many packages they offer AS LONG AS I CAN STILL CHOOSE to buy or not buy. Once O turns into Regent, I will go elsewhere. I hope that never happens.

Just curious....where would you go?

and what if the fares were still less than Regent?

If O raised their prices to equal RSSC, they would BE Regent, except the cabins would be smaller, at least on the R ships.

The ad I saw (can' do a link, sorry) was in the post from a UK agent, but printed on what I am sure is an Oceania ad, offering what is obviously a special deal for bookings before end Sept. 'New complimentary upgrades and complimentary wines and spirits', plus up to 51% savings and up to $500 onboard credit. This on cruises in the Caribbean Nov to March (just a few) and Marina Jewels of the Pacific, Nautica Voyage of the Connoisseurs, Marina Grand Panama Canal, Riviera Mayan Mystique and Nautica Pyramids and the Holy Land, all next March, April and May. It is not clear if flights are included - I suspect not.

Might be a special for the UK residents

Thanks

Archived