Free wine in Steakhouse on First night?

barbatkins

sorry if this has been asked before.......but I want to be sure before I make reservations.......

so I seem to remember a thread sometime that said if you book the Steakhouse on the first night, you get a free bottle of wine... is this still true? on every ship? is it posted anywhere on CCL's website or do you guys just know this and pass the info on?

thanks

Barb

Yes this is true. You can reserve it on the ship or in advance and get a free bottle of Red or White on the first night. It's pretty bad wine though.......but it's free. If you don't drink the whole thing you can screw the cap back on and take it back to your cabin.

Yes this is true. You can reserve it on the ship or in advance and get a free bottle of Red or White on the first night. It's pretty bad wine though.......but it's free. If you don't drink the whole thing you can screw the cap back on and take it back to your cabin.

LOL "screw the cap back on" says it all :)

thats a joke, right? it doesn't REALLY have a screw on top?

It's 1 bottle per table tho. so if you have 4 at one table you only get 1 bottle. if you have 2 tables of 2. You get 2 bottles. kinda stupid but..

Sorry, we had 4 people at our table, two different cabins of 2 people each and got two bottles of wine. I think the difference was that we had 2 reservations and 2 separate S&S cards. We arrived together and asked to be seated together. We also asked if we would get 2 bottles of wine and were told yes.

I have to agree it's not the best wine, but I sure didn't notice a screw top, although, I thought that some better wines were going to be doing that to save cork. By the way, as you can tell, I'm no wine expert, but it was ok for me.

Sorry, we had 4 people at our table, two different cabins of 2 people each and got two bottles of wine. I think the difference was that we had 2 reservations and 2 separate S&S cards. We arrived together and asked to be seated together. We also asked if we would get 2 bottles of wine and were told yes.

I have to agree it's not the best wine, but I sure didn't notice a screw top, although, I thought that some better wines were going to be doing that to save cork. By the way, as you can tell, I'm no wine expert, but it was ok for me.

good to hear........and at least its FREE...

thanks for the responses

Barb

No sorry- that is NOT a joke. It REALLY is a screw cap :).

Screw cap wine is not a joke, either. Most commercial wine is meant to be consumed within a couple of years, and a screwtop is every bit as good as a premium cork over that period. And it saves a bundle of money.

So unless you like paying more than you should for wine, don't look down your noses at screwcap wines. They're often a better value than the corkers at the same price.

Jim

Screw cap wine is not a joke, either. Most commercial wine is meant to be consumed within a couple of years, and a screwtop is every bit as good as a premium cork over that period. And it saves a bundle of money.

So unless you like paying more than you should for wine, don't look down your noses at screwcap wines. They're often a better value than the corkers at the same price.

Jim

I agree Jim, there are plenty of screwcap wines that are good. Just don't look for the free Carnival wine to be on that list ;)

I agree Jim, there are plenty of screwcap wines that are good. Just don't look for the free Carnival wine to be on that list ;)

If it's the same as the wine served at the Chef's Table then there won't be a problem here ;) It was free and drinkable!

The free bottle of wine at the steakhouse is comparable to Charles Shaw wines ( two buck chuck). First clue was when they asked, "red or white"? I asked them what type of red. The server looked stunned and repeated, "red".

The free bottle of wine at the steakhouse is comparable to Charles Shaw wines ( two buck chuck). First clue was when they asked, "red or white"? I asked them what type of red. The server looked stunned and repeated, "red".

That made my day. :D

As to the screw caps, there are plenty nice wines now being sold with screw tops. I suggest trying those coming out of New Zealand.

Easter Sunday 6:15, 2012...bad salad, good but cool medium steak tenderloin, good but cool mashed potatoes, poor bread and not good warmish butter, crying kid in middle of dinner but great atmoshere other than that at a window..walkers outside a bit odd but ocean and coastline from being on an inside super..wow great view and that was still a great beginning in quieter venue, great chocolate sampler dessert, nice affordable level but good red table wine free..reservations made upon embarking waiting for room on the Spirit that very day...my experience is rare on the food in steakhouse I presume but it happened.

If it's the same as the wine served at the Chef's Table then there won't be a problem here ;) It was free and drinkable!

LOL better not be the chef's table wine..but i thought way better than 2 buck chuck...Sarah

Anybody catch a name for the red they served? Presuming it was the Santa Margherita [sp?]. That's the cheapest red they serve on board [$26.25 a bottle/$5.75 a glass; not even offered as a choice in their $131 low-end 5-bottle-wine-package]

Has anybody done this because we going to try and ask

I heard first night you get a free bottle of wine we are a party of 3 people has anybody forfeit the wine and asked for a cocktail? If nobody has I think I going to ask if we can give up the wine and get one cocktail complimentary instead...anybody done this?

Anybody catch a name for the red they served? Presuming it was the Santa Margherita [sp?]. That's the cheapest red they serve on board [$26.25 a bottle/$5.75 a glass; not even offered as a choice in their $131 low-end 5-bottle-wine-package]

But that still doesn't mean that it's not a good wine!

Reminds me 2 weeks ago when I was flying out of Miami and with open bar you could get Dewar's White Label and the venezuelan lady sitting behind me said no because she gets headache from that whiskey! and she only drinks JW Black. I told her that it was between her ears because Dewar's is quite a good whiskey and not because it's cheaper than JW it was of an inferior quality. JW in Latin America means status, so that it was those people drink if they can afford it even if they don't like it. I told her to try Dewar's 12 years which is as good of better than JW Black.

When the 'complimentary bottle' program was first rolled out, you only had your choice of a Santa Carolina Red or a Santa Carolina White. I personally didn't desire either of those.

Speaking of Santa Margherita (above) . . . the Pinot Grigio is really quite good. :)

I do think that is the brand. I couldn't think of the name of it, but I remembered it was the same wine that the player's club sent me. It was a cabernet and I don't know what the white was.

Has anybody done this because we going to try and ask

I heard first night you get a free bottle of wine we are a party of 3 people has anybody forfeit the wine and asked for a cocktail? If nobody has I think I going to ask if we can give up the wine and get one cocktail complimentary instead...anybody done this?

The offer is for a free bottle of wine-----nothing else. Friends of our don't drink wine and asked if he could have a beer and was told he would have to pay for it as they only offer free wine.

The choice you have for the free wine bottle is from the two house wines - either Santa Carolina Chardonnay or Santa Carolina Merlot.

No other alcohol substitutes ...unless you want to pay for them.

The choice you have for the free wine bottle is from the two house wines - either Santa Carolina Chardonnay or Santa Carolina Merlot.

No other alcohol substitutes ...unless you want to pay for them.

Sorry, I knew it was Santa something, lol. I really thought that it was Cab not Merlot though as I tried to order that brand of Merlot in the MDR and was told they only had Cab. Merlot is usually my choice of wine and I know the wine from the Player's club was Cab not Merlot.

sorry if this has been asked before.......but I want to be sure before I make reservations.......

so I seem to remember a thread sometime that said if you book the Steakhouse on the first night, you get a free bottle of wine... is this still true? on every ship? is it posted anywhere on CCL's website or do you guys just know this and pass the info on?

thanks

Barb

When I was on the Dream last year in September it was true. When I spoke to them I was informed it could change at anytime ...

Archived