Naples to Pompeii on the train?

cruiser4321

Hey all, i have been planning out getting from Naples to Pompeii via the train. It seems simple enough but I have been unable to find any sort of schedule online as to when the return journeys end/how frequently the trains run. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! I have been trying to use that website and keep getting the following error: YOUR TRAVEL

FROM: NAPOLI GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) TO: POMPEI - SCAVI VILLA MISTERIDATE: 07/08/2012 AT 09:17

No solutions found for dates or stations selected

new search

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The Circumvesuviana Line has trains running from Naples to Pompeii Scavi (and return) every 30 minutes all day long. No need to worry about schedules or reservations (there is none on these commuter type trains) but you simply get to the train station, buy your ticket and get on the next train. This is the same train that goes all the way to Sorrento and also has a stop (closer to Naples) called Ercolano Scavi which is within walking distance to the ruins at Herculanium.

Hank

Thanks so much! Whatever was confusing me was what I read said to go to Pompeii-Scavi, whereas this stop is Pompeii-S Villa Misteri...are these the same stops? I was warned that one of the Pompeii stops is very far from the ruins.

Thanks again to you both!

Thanks so much! Whatever was confusing me was what I read said to go to Pompeii-Scavi, whereas this stop is Pompeii-S Villa Misteri...are these the same stops? I was warned that one of the Pompeii stops is very far from the ruins.

Thanks again to you both!

I suspect that Pompei-S is shorthand for Pompei Scavi. However, it is definitely the right stop if it says Villa dei Misteri.

From CruiseMom's link above, I recommend you print out the full timetable and bring it with you since it includes the intermediate stops. I took a list of these stops with me so that I could follow along to know how many more stops we had before Pompeii Scavi. This is a pretty good idea since it will help you validate you're on the right train. You can also see the stops on a map in your train car usually above the doors.

I've done this trip a couple times now and on the most recent one I was actually only going as far as Herculaneum. I got to talking with a group -- helping them figure out where they needed to go and such. I wasn't really paying attention to where we were, but we hadn't made any stops yet (or maybe one or two). I thought that I had several stops before mine, so no issue. But the next thing I know, we were at the Herculaneum stop. Little did I know, but I was on an Express train that didn't stop at all the stops. It was probably the one shown as leaving at 8:11 in the timetable -- a good one to get. Fortunately, it stops at my stop (and it also stopped at Pompeii Scavi). I had to scramble to get off the train quickly.

So, be aware, if on an express train, your stop might be sooner than you think looking at the lengthy list of intermediate stops. It was great, since I was at Herculaneum in just a very few minutes from port.

Thanks for the advice! What would you suggest is the best way to get from the port to the train station?

Here's an excerpt from my 2010 notes:

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the train that departs Napoli just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here; it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/pompeiiwalk.htm

Pompeii is huge; and in summer is hot and crowded with little shade. Bring water (you can refill bottles from water pipes in the site). There is a place to eat and restrooms near the Forum. Elsewhere there are few places to sit other than on curbs, etc.

For the ride back from the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana Train Station, take the train to the end of the line to Napoli Porta Nolana. Then exit the station and catch a #1 trolley or #152 bus outside the station (traffic going left with Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Train Station at your back). You won't need to stamp your ticket again. Stay on the tram until you reach Piazza Municipio where the huge cruise ships/Molo Beverello is on the left and the castle on the right.

Archived