Northern Europe

babylene

Oh My G-d...I may commit adultery! We are considering the Royal Carib Jewel for Northern Europe! Never having experienced that line, we would appreciate any critique of those who know that class and also the "M" class ships (the OTHER alternative). Keeping in mind that there are only 2 seadays and the trip will be very port intensive with full days of sightseeing, I would like to know the pros and cons of choosing this ship over the Constellation. I think we found a "good deal"! Thanks for any feedback.

Pros:

It feels real good for a few minutes.
No strings attached.
You can get up and go home afterwards.
You might learn something new.

Cons:
It could end your marriage.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

With Compassion for others we build...we fight for peace and freedom

I think if I were floating around the Caribbean and my focus was on sun and pool and lounging around on board,using the ships facilities, and maybe not even ever disembarking, I would put more emphisis on the line and ship. I think were you are going to go, the primary focus is on the ports, sights, tours etc, etc. I think the ship/line is not as critical in the decision making. There is just SOOOO much to see and take in on this trip, the vessel you are on is significantly secondary.

I agree with marco. We went on the British Isles/Fjord cruise on the Constellation and it was so incredible and the itinerary so busy that the ship (while fantastic) was not the main attraction. In addition, RCL and Celebrity are not that wildly different.

Before the flames start shooting, I know there are differences, but I've been on both and they are both very good.

If you pick on dates and cost, unless there's a fire or some disaster, you can't go wrong.

Now as to the adultery, that's another story. Does that mean you'd be going with a different partner? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. It WAS two questions, right?

I can't believe you REALLY think the ADULTURY part is about people!!!I meant about being disloyal to Celebrity (the only line we have cruised to date) [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ; [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Now..how can I make Seabee's answer fit?????

My DH wants to go on this cruise,too!

Seriously, I tend to agree that we will be off the ship more than on. Also, it has been reported to be a beautiful vessel.

How bad can the food and service be? After a full day of sight-seeing, we will probably be so tired by the time we get to the dining room, we won't notice!

Thanks for the replies! (Especially about the Adultury!!)

Babylene

have a look on the baltic board on the ports of call section.There are plenty of members who have done this before and able to give you sound advice.

Jim

Norwegian Dream April 2003
CONSTELLATION BALTIC CRUISE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

soon to be on board .Thats the life
Constellation MAY 22ND 2004

Babylene,

An important factor in the Baltic cruises is the size of the ship. Some are too big for certain ports or piers. This can have an inpact on your shore excursions. The Constellation should be OK. Anything bigger might be a problem.

Jerry

I guess it's true when they say size matters [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Remember, it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Missyal

Babylene,

We are also thinking about going on the Jewel in 2005 to do the British isles and fjords cruise.

I have been on both lines and prefer X but RCCL was good also. The Constellation is about the same size as the Jewel and is a wonderful ship with great service. I have not been on the Jewel but I am looking forward to it.
X offers more refined service and quiet dining experience( RCCL has waiters sing and dance during meals too often, once a week is fine but three times is a bit much). Surprisingly the food was about even.

Good luck with your decision, I loved the Baltics and I think you'll enjoy either ship.

Jag

Xpedition,galapagos,March05
Granduer of the Seas-New years,Western Carrib,Dec03
Constellation-Baltics,july03
Century-Easter,Western Carrib,April02
Volendam-4 of July,Alaska,July01

Hi Jag! The Constellation doesn't have the summer '05 schedule out yet. The Jewel is 2 days shorter, which would give us extra days in London. Haven't been to London since before we were married (which will be 30 years in Feb...thought the cruise would be a nice way to celebrate).

I know there are smaller ships that concentrate on the Fjords, but since we have never been to Ireland or Scotland, we think it will be an interesting addition.

I visited Russia when it was the USSR, and don't really want to see it again...so the Baltic cruises are out.

We may meet in June '05!

Do you think the waiters will sing and dance on a ship with this type of itinerary? It may be more subdued. If not....who cares?????

We booked the Jewel for N. Europe for 2005 since Celebrity doesn't have its Europe schedule out yet. We wanted to get an aft cabin. When Celebrity schedule comes out, if we like its N Europe cruise better, we will switch booking. It is easy to switch between these lines. At least it is with our TA.

Hi Dee! We have a tentative booking. We will have to give a deposit on Monday. The Royal Carib seemed to give a break on the Canadian Dollar. Don't know whether or not the Constellation will do the same. It will be more, but if we do the Jewel, we'll add 5 days in London so it will probably add up to the same thing.(We wouldn't do as many days in London if we take the Constellation) The itineraries are quite similar. We like them both (you can compare this year's). We will probably choose the best overall deal.

I have done both.... We did the sister to the Jewel, the Brilliance on this same itinerary.
These are both beautiful ships-
while the set up of the DR on the M ships is less crowded, the food was the same and I found the bar service at dinner far superior on RCI. The seaview on the M ships is also a far better set up with more places to sit and better views. Many mornings we wandered around unable to find a table on the Brilliance. The restaurant did not open early enough for people taking tours in St Petersburg. Aquaspa is great on M ships. Lunch is pretty bad on both.
The entertainlment was non existant on RCI. Go figure that one out. It may well be fixed now that there are a few years into it.
Cabins are nice on both-
I dont think you can go wrong on either ship. Some of the flaws I found may not be flaws by next summer.
You are right to reserve a great cabin on what is available now and then to compare price as the timing gets better. I would add that families tend to be steered to RCI - but there are not many on this itinerary on any line. There will be fewer on Celebrity, given the extra 2 days and no doubt the extra expense. The Jewel has a couple amenties appealing to families- a nice minigolf and rock wall... Both have childrens and teen centers.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

Hi Babylene, we also like the 12 day cruise so we can spend a few days in london. Also would like to sail on the Jewel since we were on the Connie in 2003.

I hope that RCCL will not have too many children on this cruise. The Constellation had a few and they appeared very bored while on the excursions.

This cruise would be a great way to celebrate your 30 anniversary. Congratulations!

Jag

Thank you, Jacqueline, for the info...and thank you, Jag, for the anniversary wishes! I don't imagine there would be too many kids on this itinerary. It's a bit too early for European families. Most of them vacation in August. As for North Americans, I would imagine that the only parents who would take kids on such a port intensive/sightseeing trip would be those who know that their children would be interested in the sights...otherwise...what a waste of $$$!!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I wouldn't want my kids to nag me or vise versa.

In any case, we will be off the ship more than on...so it probably wouldn't make much of a difference....and...there are more good kids than bad...so let's not anticipate the negative!!!

Let me know when you book.

If you are thinking of a Baltic cruise which includes St. Petersburg, choose your sailing dates carefully. All of the St. Petersburg museums including the Hermitage are closed on Mondays. Also have your TA (or do it yourself) research how many other cruise ships will be in St.Petersburg on the same dates as the cruise you are considering. If more than two large ships are in at the same time, choose another date if you can. To paraphrase an old saw "too many tourists spoil the tour experience". I know! Been there, done that and did it wrong.

If I were going on another baltic cruise, I would strongly consider an Oceania cruise. They spend three days in St. Petersburg, a much better arrangement.

Bill

Renaissance R6 Dec 2000
Galaxy Aug 2001
Volendam Nov 2002
Volendam Jun 2003
Constellation Oct 2003

Westerdam Nov 2004

Bob278,

We're going on Constellation British Isles/Norwegian Fjords this year and wonder if you remember which days/ports on the ship were the formal and informal(semiformal) nights. We like to book the Ocean Liners restaurant for the informal nights so we don't miss the formal in the main dining room and don't have to get dressed up on the casual nights. Thanks for any help you can give.

FLJudi

Constellation British Isles/Norwegian Fjords
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;07;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

Babylene, we have already booked Jewel of the Seas for the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords for 2005. Celebrating our 30th anniversary then as well. The ports were an important part of selecting this cruise, as well as going on the brand new Jewel. We've been wanting to travel to the fjords for a long time but the sailing dates were never at a good time for our vacation schedule. Also, being able to visit Scotland and Ireland is a big plus. Should be beautiful ports on this one!

We booked early so we could get the aft cabin of our choice. Never booked this early before!

We've never even travelled to Europe before, so it's a bit intimidating for us, but we are also very excited.

We have been to your beautiful Montreal many, many times. What a wonderful city. We'll have to go back for a visit soon, it's been at least 3 years!

Happy cruising! Sleddogs [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary
Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)
Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004
Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Hi Sleddogs! Gave my deposit today. I think the rates went up already! Got my original quote,though.

What a coincidence that you,too,will be celebrating your 30th! Really ours will be in Feb...but any time is a good time to celebrate.

We have been to Europe many times, but never on a European cruise. It is a good way to see the Fjords. The only places on the itinerary that we have been to are London, Amsterdam,and Normandy, so there will be many firsts. Don't be intimidated. I think that cruising will be very easy...much easier than taking trains. That intimidates me because you can't check you luggage the way you do in North America.

I'm glad to hear that you love Montreal. We love New Hampshire. We have many good memories of family vacations spent there....and we often stop in Manchester on our way to Boston. (I know the shopping centers!!)

I have never booked so far ahead either...but I wanted to secure a good price...I chose an inside,"N" on deck 4, smack in the middle (I like low and middle in case of rough seas!)Does the aft cabin have the huge balconies like Celebrity?

I am sure we will be seeing eachother's posts, and will exchange lots of ideas.

FLJudi,

I found the dailies. I noticed that your cruise reversed Olden and Geiragner/Helleslyt. I listed the dress by day rather than port for those two. That shouldn't make a difference in the dress, but wanted to mention it.

This is a fantastic trip - you'll have a wonderful time.

Bob

<table border=6 cellpadding=5 cellspacing=1 style="font-size: 70%;"><CAPTION><font size=5>Constellation
July 17, 2004</font></CAPTION><CAPTION><font size=4></font></CAPTION><TR><TH>DAY</TH><TH>PORT</TH><TH>DRESS</TH></TR><tr> <Align=center><td>Sat 7/17</td><td>Dover</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Sun 7/18</td><td>Le Havre</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Mon 7/19</td><td>at sea</td><td>Formal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Tue 7/20</td><td>Cork</td><td>Informal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Wed 7/21</td><td>Dublin</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Thu 7/22</td><td>Greenock</td><td>Informal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Fri 7/23</td><td>at sea</td><td>Formal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Sat 7/24</td><td>Olden</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Sun 7/25</td><td>Geiranger/Helleslyt</td><td>Informal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Mon 7/26</td><td>Bergen</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Tue 7/27</td><td>at sea</td><td>Informal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Wed 7/28</td><td>Copenhagen</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Thu 7/229</td><td>at sea</td><td>Formal</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Fri 7/30</td><td>Zeebrugge</td><td>Casual</td><td><tr><ALIGN=center><td>Sat 7/31</td><td>Dover</td><td>N/A</td><tr></table>

Thanks so much Bob278. Any other similar helpful information about your trip that you'd be willing to share -recommended tours, touring on your own, etc? You can post on this board or send via email to me at DSpintman(removenospam)@aol. Love these boards!

FLJudi

Constellation British Isles/Norwegian Fjords
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;07;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

I have posted a roll call for the July 2, 2005 Jewel sailing for those interested.

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=414107971&f=1683059817"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=414107971&f=1683059817[/url]

They are not yet letting one register for the CC party. Waiting for the X sailings to appear so that a meaningful choice can be made. We did Constellation last year in the MED and loved it but spent little time on the ship. It will be interesting to see the price differential.
Jerry

Jewel of the Seas 7/05
Brilliance 1/05
Constellation 9/04
Radiance 1/04
Constellation 9/03
Golden Princess 1/03
Radiance 4/02
Explorer of the Seas 12/01
Voyager of the Seas 2/01
Monarch of the Seas 8/00
Splendour of the Seas 12/99
NCL Sea 8/96
A bunch others

Hi,Babylene and Sleddogs, we made our deposit for the Jewel- British isles and Fjords cruise, but we are sailing on June 20 not the July date. It works better with my job schedule.

Babylene, My wife and I will be visiting Montreal and Quobec City in August for a week.
I haven't been to Montreal in years and my DW has never been. We are staying at a B&B in the old town.

Jag

Jewel,British Isles and Fjords,June05

Archived