Wrong forum probably but swimming with dolphin question

kirasmom

Does anyone know if a non-participating parent is allowed to tag along on the dolphin swimming excursions? We're probably going to sign up for a dolphin excursion on our upcoming cruise. My hubby does not swim, let alone swim with dolphins. Just curious if he can come along and watch or if he needs to find something else to do.

Also how intense is this activity? It mentions people with back injuries should not participate. I've got a ruptured disc but recently had a cortison shot, its not flared up right now so I have minimal pain, can I swim with a dolphin?

You didn't say where you were swimming with dolphins so that may make a difference, but I can tell you how it worked when we did it.

We swam with them at Chankanaab in Cozumel. All of us except my husband swam with them but they did allow him to come out there with us and watch. I think he said he had to pay a little to do it but it was worth it to him and us so he could "participate" with us.

Hope this helps - just call and ask whoever you have your booked with. I'm sure they have people asking all the time.

Good luck!

We did the UNEXSO open ocean dolphin swim in Freeport. The boat took us out quite a ways offshore. I doubt a non-participant would have been allowed to go. One thing to note if you have a bad back- the dolphins are very strong and can pull you really fast through the water. Mine went so fast I nearly lost the bottoms of my bathing suit! :eek:

We did it in Cabo and it was free to come and watch, in Puerto Vallarta it costs money to watch because it includes a bus ride to the dolpin place and lunch.

I am waiting for a post from a "dolpin excursions are mean" person in ......5....4......3.....2.....1......

Also how intense is this activity? It mentions people with back injuries should not participate. I've got a ruptured disc but recently had a cortison shot, its not flared up right now so I have minimal pain, can I swim with a dolphin?

I had micro for a herniated disc at L4-L5 in December, and swam with the dolphins in June. This was a full-on swim as well, in a lagoon with mask, fins, snorkel. No probs. But then, I have been focusing on trying to heal well, physical therapy, etc.

For a ruptured disc and a cortisone shot, well, all a shot does is mask the pain. Sometimes, that's all you need. Lots of people even have fully herniated discs but don't even know it, others aren't so lucky.

If you were having pain for less than 6 months before the shot, there is a chance your disc will re-absorb and avoid the need for surgery. From most studies I have read, if it hasn't happened within 6 months, it isn't going to happen. So, depending, you are taking a small chance of turning a "ruptured" disc (is that a bulge, or full extrusion/herniation?) into a bigger issue that will require surgery. Then again, you just might wind up requiring that anyway.

All that being said, the only thing I could see a dolphin encounter doing to aggravate a back disc is one of those "push" swims where they come up behind, push you threw the water then launch you in the air. But you would have a much greater chance of herniating the disc while sneezing violently, combined with a twisting motion such as turning around to hear something right at that moment.

In addition, most doctors agree that swimming is one of the best forms of exercise for back patients. I regularly swim laps in the pool at my gym now. I would go on the swim if I were you.

Thanks everyone.

We are sailing on the Legend and can either do the swim in Cozumel or Grand Cayman. I have not decided yet. I'll call to check about "guests"

As for my back, the rupture is one of the largest my doctor has ever seen and could not understand how I could walk and deal with the pain. Surgery is imminent, just pushing it off until after the cruise. Swimming really does make my back feel great!

We did the dolphin excursion at Atlantis last week. They allowed observers in the concrete deck area by the dolphins. As a matter of fact, the ones observing got REALLY good pictures of their friends and family without having to pay $100 for a 5x7 of a dolphin kiss. LOL

Does anyone know if a non-participating parent is allowed to tag along on the dolphin swimming excursions? We're probably going to sign up for a dolphin excursion on our upcoming cruise. My hubby does not swim, let alone swim with dolphins. Just curious if he can come along and watch or if he needs to find something else to do.

Archived