Athens Itinerary - Advice

themutis

We are spending one night, pre cruise in Athens and are looking for advice on what is the best plan.

Itinerary 1:

• Day 1 - After dropping bags off at hotel and having lunch, visit the Acropolis Museum around 1:00. Then go over to the Acropolis around 4:00. My though was it might not be so hot and the crowds might be less this late in the day. Have dinner at Strofi.

• Day 2 - Visit temple of Zeus, National Gardens and Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard before heading to port around noon.

Itinerary 2:

• Day 1 - After dropping bags off at hotel and having lunch, visit the Acropolis Museum around 1:00. Then visit the temple of Zeus, National Gardens and Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard. Have dinner at Strofi.

• Day 2 - Visit the Acropolis first thing in the morning - head to port around noon.

Thanks for your advice - this is our first trip to Athens

We are spending one night, pre cruise in Athens and are looking for advice on what is the best plan. Itinerary 1: Day 1 - After dropping bags off at hotel and having lunch, visit the Acropolis Museum around 1:00. Then go over to the Acropolis around 4:00. My though was it might not be so hot and the crowds might be less this late in the day. Have dinner at Strofi.

Day 2 - Visit temple of Zeus, National Gardens and Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard before heading to port around noon.

For your first visit to Athens, I would urge a little more "caution" as to what will work best. First, from NJ to Athens is a long, long flight. Getting from their airport, doing luggage and getting into town might not be as quick and easy as you think and hope. Then, there is jet-lag, lack of sleep, time-zone changes, etc. Be flexible!! You might not be able to do as much as you like, quick and easy as it would seem possible on paper.

Where is your hotel where you are planning to stay? What out for some cab drivers who can be a little "creative" in their practices, etc. With the economic challenges there, things are not perfect and orderly now. Be patience and consider what is most important to see and do. You might not be able to do it "ALL" during such a short time period. some of your potential places to see are not as important as others.

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important. Below are a few of my visual sample to get people excited about your upcoming visit.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,077 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food, drinks, music and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

A view from below the Parthenon:

ArcopHill.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon in Athens:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site, she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

Here is one sampling from Athens’ very historic National Archaeological Museum featuring the world's largest collection of ancient Greek antiquities. We loved this great range of art, its history, evolution to the Roman periods, etc.:

NatArch.jpg

We are spending one night, pre cruise in Athens and are looking for advice on what is the best plan.

Itinerary 1:

• Day 1 - After dropping bags off at hotel and having lunch, visit the Acropolis Museum around 1:00. Then go over to the Acropolis around 4:00. My though was it might not be so hot and the crowds might be less this late in the day. Have dinner at Strofi.

• Day 2 - Visit temple of Zeus, National Gardens and Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard before heading to port around noon.

Itinerary 2:

• Day 1 - After dropping bags off at hotel and having lunch, visit the Acropolis Museum around 1:00. Then visit the temple of Zeus, National Gardens and Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard. Have dinner at Strofi.

• Day 2 - Visit the Acropolis first thing in the morning - head to port around noon.

As regards crowds on the Acropolis, I think either plan would work relatively well. However, it will be coolor in the early morning and there is definitely a different feeling about the place when you are one of the first ones up there. Also, the Athens "smog" is less evident early in the morning, leading to better photos (IMO).

I would strongly consider visiting the Greek Agora after the Acropolis. If you get to the Acropolis at opening, you should have time. You don't need to be on the ship the moment boarding starts.....;)

Thanks CruiseMom...

How long should we give ourselves to do the Acropolis and Agora?

Thank you so much for your reply!

That depends on what kind of sightseers you are. If you're a dawdler and history lover (like me), you could spend 2 hours on the Acropolis and up to 4 in the Agora. An hour on the Acropolis would probably be a bare minimum, and 2 hours a minimum in the Agora.

If you don't have Rick Steves' Athens guidebook, I highly recommend it. He gives walking tours for both the Acropolis and the Agora. I haven't checked, but he may also have free podcasts covering these areas.

You can easily see all of the mentioned sites in central Athens in the time that you will be there, as long as you don't spend too much time in the museums. Don't plan on being on board your ship until around 2:30 - 3:00 and you will have plenty of time if you stay out until dark get up early.

Archived