Opinion on flight out of Venice please

CruzrMom

My family and I are booked on a cruise next September which starts in Rome and ends in Venice. As we're arriving in Rome 3 days early, and the ship is actually in Venice for 2 days, I was hoping to return to the States on the last day of the cruise instead of getting a hotel for the night. However, the latest flight out is 12:30 pm and I'm not sure if that leaves us enought time to get to the airport from the ship. For those of you out there who have made this trek, what is the earliest flight out you would recommend? Although I've cruise Europe before, I've never been through Venice, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get from the cruise port to the airport. Thanks in advance for your advice!

We had a 1:10p flight, so were in one of the later groups off the ship (around 8:30a.) We used the cruise line transfers and were at the airport by about 9:15a. However, we could also have taken the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then taken the ACTV bus to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

You will have no problem getting to the airport, but be aware that the departure check-in hall can be a total zoo when a few cruise ships arrive in port on the same day, and reportedly the following day. The checkin lineups are horrendous and the hall so packed that it is difficult to tell which line is which and where is the end of the line you need to be in.

If I ever have to debark at Venice again I would get off the ship as soon as possible, take the first land taxi I could find, and check in as soon as possible.

Once checked in, there is a lot of space in the secure area. :)

Have done this from Venice several times and agree with all posters here. A 12:30pm flight is ideal. But 9:30am can be done. The cruise line is quite mindful of those early morning departures out of Venice. Is the ship in Venice for two days? If it's one of the itineraries that X has next spring, thinking it's just one night in Venice, so only one full day to explore. Time in Venice slips by very quickly and you might really like two or more full days.

Happy cruising.

From the Delta website (FWIW):

Venice, Italy

Marco Polo Airport in Venice (VCE) is experiencing very high passenger volume, which is expected to continue throughout the summer cruise season. It is important that you:

• Arrive at the airport no more than three (3) hours, AND

not less than one (1) hour prior to your scheduled departure time.

Wheelchair service is handled by the Airport Authority, and not by Delta. Policies and procedures for obtaining wheelchair assistance can be found on their web site.

Archived