PPT Sheraton or Downtown Hotel for pre-cruise?

maygoddess

Hey all! I wanted to get some opinions on our pre-cruise hotel stay for September. My parents, husband and I will be on the TP and we have arranged to arrive 2 days post cruise and stay 2 extra days post cruise.

We plan to stay in PPT the two days pre and Moorea for the 2 days post. We are trying to be as budget conscious as possible, so hotels that in the upper 200-300 price range are not what we are looking for.

My father found a couple of hotels located downtown and close to the ferry docks like Le Mandarin or the Tiare Tahiti hotel..seem like very basic hotels in the heart of the "action"

But in my searches for prices, I came across what looks like a good deal at the Sheraton PPT that seems like it would really not be that much more than one of the "budget" hotels downtown. Perhaps only $30-40 more per night and we would then have access to a pool, jazcuzzi and would not be in the heart of downtown..which my dad thinks wouldbe easier because you are right where the boat docks..

So..anyone share any opinions on staying at the Sheraton vs downtown..did you make use of any of the facilities like the pool at the Sheraton.

Are we that much further from the dock for embarkation. Is it easy to arrange transport to the ship and of course if we wanted to go downtown for shopping during our pre-cruise stay..is it easy to get to from the Sheraton.

I don't know if it would be worth it for the extra $30-40 per night x 2 x 2 couples..just to have a pool and feel more like a resort.

We are simple in our needs..we don't spend much time in our hotel room..justa clean place to sleep is fine..probably be out exploring and if we had a pool, probably take a dip or two..

Any thoughts?

Well, I can only tell you about the Hotel Mandarin. We stayed there for one night in March pre-cruise. It is VERY basic and almost a little dreary. It was fine for us for one night, but I really wouldn't have wanted to stay there for two. However, DH and I also try and save wherever we can, so I can understand where you are coming from. It is fine just for a place to sleep and yes, it is very close to the ship (we walked to the ship rolling our luggage). I can also tell you that it is very close to the Marche (downtown market) and the visitor's Information Center (near the ship), where we found out how to take the city bus to the black sand beach. They were very helpfull, spoke English, they had maps for all the islands, etc. We were able to take the city bus (fully air conditioned) for 400 francs (#14 to Mahina) and ended up on a pretty soft black sand beach playing in the gentle waves, with Moorea in the background and a pretty hillside of Tahiti on the side. I know the buses also ran the other direction from Papeete, which would take you out to the white sand beaches.

I'm sure others will tell you about the Sheraton and other hotels. I think alot probably depends on what you are planning to do during your two days on Tahiti. Have a great time, we LOVED French Polynesia and can't wait to go back.

Tammy

Have a look at the Royal Tahitien. It's north of Papeete, but not far. Downside is a longer cab ride there and to the port. It's a nice three-star. It has a small pool, and pleasant grounds. Great bar and restaurant right over the water. Black sand beach (not really swimable). Our room was quite adequate, and the AC worked, which is important in this climate. There's a Le Truck top out on the road to get you back into town.

On Moorea, we stayed at Pension Motu Iti and loved it! 120.00 a night for a fare waterside. there is no pool but easy access into the water and snorkeling was very good. They have a small restaurant there with good food, and there is a small grocery store in walking distance. The Sheraton is also within walking distance. If you can swing it, I know it is mid 200's, I would recommend the Intercontinental on Tahiti. It is beautiful! If you haven't already, check out http://www.thetahititraveler.com for more ideas.

IMO the Sheraton is worth the extra few dollars you are talking about. Last year on our first trip to Tahiti we stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Sheraton...with nothing to compare it to...we were very happy. We stayed by the pool the whole day...just couldn't leave to go anywhere else. Had a nice lunch right by the pool that wasn't horribly expensive. Went in to the AC room till sunset and then walked the grounds and had a light dinner...figured we'd be eating plenty on the ship ! ...took a night swim and went to bed. It was a wonderful way to aclimate to the heat & humidity and rest up for the cruise. Ask for a rom with a view of Moorea.

we have been to the Sheraton and IC Beachcomber, the Beachcomber is much nicer! there are two pools, two restaurants, much larger grounds, and a lagoonar on site. I don't think that the ICis any more expensive and may be less, at least if you book direct through the IC website.

Hi! Thanks for teh suggestions so far. The Beachcomber actually is more expensive than what I have found for the Sheraton..about$100 more a night for what would seem to be comparable "lagoon" room..cheapest category..AND they seemed to be already booked up for the two days we will be there.

Thanks for the pension suggestion on Moorea...that may be another option as well..right now I am looking at Club Bali Hai there.

If my parents weren't coming with us, I am sure my husband and I would be splurging on the larger resorts, but we have to be mroe budget conscious for them since they are newly retired...

we liked the pension especially for the location. though the bali hai is closer to more restaurant options, it is pretty far in to the bay, and motu iti is between the two bays. we have never snorkeled inside the bay, but it seems to me that outside would be better. one other thing I liked about motu iti is that there are only 5 fares, very small and private property, and the club bali hai is pretty big.

Archived