Question about on board accounts

We're going on a 10 day cruise in March with my in-laws and sister in law and her 5 kids. Each child was given a gift of $100 to spend on the ship from Nana and Pop Pop. We have a few questions about how to go about this. My sis in law doesn't want the kids' seapass attached to her credit card.

* Can each child (ages 13-17) have their own separate account? One that is not linked to the parent's credit card?

* If yes, how does Nana set this up. Does she go to customer service and set up each child with their own account?

* Should she do it with cash or separate pre-paid debit cards for each account?

*Once the money runs out, it won't pull from the parent's credit card in the same room, will it?

Thanks for any input! :)

We're going on a 10 day cruise in March with my in-laws and sister in law and her 5 kids. Each child was given a gift of $100 to spend on the ship from Nana and Pop Pop. We have a few questions about how to go about this. My sis in law doesn't want the kids' seapass attached to her credit card.

* Can each child (ages 13-17) have their own separate account? One that is not linked to the parent's credit card?

* If yes, how does Nana set this up. Does she go to customer service and set up each child with their own account?

* Should she do it with cash or separate pre-paid debit cards for each account?

*Once the money runs out, it won't pull from the parent's credit card in the same room, will it?

Thanks for any input! :)

Each person normally gets their own account. I'd just set up the children's accounts as cash accounts when doing the online check-in. Once onboard, go to Guest Relations and put down $100 on each account. You can also put limits on the accounts at that point, else the children will be able to charge beyond the initial cash, and there will be bills to pay at the end of the cruise.

Each person normally gets their own account. I'd just set up the children's accounts as cash accounts when doing the online check-in. Once onboard, go to Guest Relations and put down $100 on each account. You can also put limits on the accounts at that point, else the children will be able to charge beyond the initial cash, and there will be bills to pay at the end of the cruise.

So even with an account set up with cash only, you can go over that limit and have a bill at the end of the cruise?? :(

So even with an account set up with cash only, you can go over that limit and have a bill at the end of the cruise?? :(

Yes, it's common for people to set up cash accounts when they don't have or don't want to use a credit or debit card. Royal lets you charge up to some set amount, I think $300 or $500 before they will ask you to pay down the balance. Unless there's a limit set, the kids will be able to charge beyond the initial money deposited. My guess is that once Guest Services knows that the accounts are for young people, they might even suggest limits.

Before putting the entire $100 down I'd find out how easy it is to get the money back if they don't spend it all. I hope the ship would just give cash at the end but I don't know that for sure.

I say this because my 12 year old didn't spend a dime on the ship during our cruise. She made up for it while we were in Bermuda! She found enough to keep her busy that didn't cost extra. She even preferred to get free soft serve ice cream rather than Ben & Jerry's.

Before putting the entire $100 down I'd find out how easy it is to get the money back if they don't spend it all. I hope the ship would just give cash at the end but I don't know that for sure.

I say this because my 12 year old didn't spend a dime on the ship during our cruise. She made up for it while we were in Bermuda! She found enough to keep her busy that didn't cost extra. She even preferred to get free soft serve ice cream rather than Ben & Jerry's.

Getting a refund is no problem...I have done it many times when I had a large amount of OBC and did not spend it all...I suggest going down to guest services late in the afternoon of the last day...it tends to become VERY crowded there the last night & in the morning before debarking...

Archived