Clothing bargains?

momof1son

I love my "secondary markets" as well !. I am fortunate to live in a "military / Catholic" zone. The Consignment and thrift/church shops are a plethora of finds! for me. I also Frequent a nearby college, state capitol city. I am able to remember whatz in my closet, and do mental match-ups. My sizes are from Chico 2/3...Lg, XL, 1X, 14/16/18..My staples are 4 pairs of evening pants/skirts....Black, Cream, Beige, and Dk. Brown, Blk lace skirt, and red trousers..all 6 years old..and still very new looking..and good packers.. a range of colourful silky camis,( $4 to $6, and many toppers/jacket/sheer shirts, $6 to $20. At one time I might have on (an outfit of 3 pieces..that I paid....maybe under $20..for all of it. I make all of my co-ordinated neck pieces w/earrings..Have pics on a Flickr page if anyone wishes to leave their email addy..I"ll send it..I don't know how to post it on my sig here. ..and re-furb evening bags....about 65 of them. This past spring I had a big closet purge...of my "now waaay tooo big" for me after 40-ish pound weight loss. sold them outright for $575. BTW..have kept the weight off for over 3 yrs..(on "FAT SMASH..Diet book)" and work out 3 x a week to keep fit.

Oops time top get ready..today is GYM day... getting fit-er for my 2 week UK land-cation....

Hello to Sherry..DREWSWIFE !..Best to everyone else...judi

I'm at our local mall constantly since I have a part time job there. I haunt sales racks all the time. My favorite go to stores are: Nordstrom, Chico's (they always have sale racks at the back of the store) and sometimes Macy's. Macy's I find is not as good a quality overall from the first two, but I occasionally find things I love there for ridiculously low prices.

I rarely shop online since I like to try things on and dislike the hassle of returns, but if I do it's usually the above mentioned stores, since I can take them back in person.

I see other department stores mentioned here that aren't available (such as Dillards) so you might check what is close to you.

My number one rule for shopping is: don't buy it unless you love it, even if it is on sale dirt cheap. That $4 T shirt that is never worn is $4 that could have gone towards something that will be used. Price isn't the only factor in purchases, I have shoes I paid dearly for, yet worn so many times the value was far higher than a $20 pair of sandals worn only once. My number two rule (with the exception of cocktail dresses for cruises) is never to buy "cruise clothes", only purchase what you would also wear at home.

My closet was also purged a few years back, mainly because I had so much stuff that just hung there for years, lots of it worn once on a cruise and not considered wearable for work or social events around home. If it screams "cruise" or "vacation" leave it in the store for someone else to buy.

Other than dresses, I don't do cruise clothes. I do stuff that will work for the cruise but I can wear to work or out to dinner or whatever. I haunt the clearance racks at Dillard's for dresses and the occasional top, Old Navy for camis, pjs, and tops, Ross for jeans and other bottoms. For swim suits due to size limitations (generously endowed) I am limited to online shopping. My go to is Land's End, come to think of it, they should be getting ready tor end of summer clearance, probably time to hit the website. No worries about shipping back returns-you can take them to your local Sears store.

I do VERY well at Macy's. Their mark downs, plus coupons equal amazing values. I personally don't think the quality of Jones, RL and Anne Klein there is to be looked down upon!! Their INC brand has some unusual items that are perfect for cruises. I am a TJMaxx/Marshalls addict, but I do just as well at Macy's. I find great cruise dresses there, because people shop online, then return them there. (It's not in the best neighborhood)

We don't live too far from a Lord and Taylor outlet, Neiman Marcus, Talbots and Saks. There is absolutely NOTHING I want so badly, I have to pay full price for. I prefer 60% off!!

Check out thrift shops....all different ones until you find one you like. I really don't care for a popular named one that is all over our area here and in most cities across country. I did however find a few small ones I like much better. That said, I don't think I've ever found a dress to buy (not that I look all that much) at thrift shops....much better for tops, skirts, jeans, etc....and, I never buy unless it is in 'like new' condition.

My go to store: stein mart...especially their 75% off rack! Have got some super deals at Macy's. Sometimes I can get things better priced then thrift shops!

I am not a huge shopper by any means...but, I try watch for when stein mart & Macy's have the additional % off of their already clearances prices and I try to get there early or at least first day for best selection.

I do VERY well at Macy's. Their mark downs, plus coupons equal amazing values. I personally don't think the quality of Jones, RL and Anne Klein there is to be looked down upon!! Their INC brand has some unusual items that are perfect for cruises.!

Oh, my goodness....just got the best deal at Macy's on a dress for a wedding I was going to! Just happened to be there the day they where having additional mark downs. Ended up with a RL super cute dress for $45 (org. $200) and snagged a maxi for $14 (org. $60).

I don't buy "special" clothes for cruising....if I wouldn't wear it at home, I wouldn't wear it on a cruise, or any other vacation.

For formalwear, I find department stores have a great selection, and great sales! And, you get to try things on...a must for gowns and bathing suits!!!

Oh, my goodness....just got the best deal at Macy's on a dress for a wedding I was going to! Just happened to be there the day they where having additional mark downs. Ended up with a RL super cute dress for $45 (org. $200) and snagged a maxi for $14 (org. $60).

Wow...I LOVE buys like that. I'm like a hunter...I get so excited when something is marked down that low!!! I probably have too many dressy cruise dresses because of finding deals like that at Macy's! But, that's OK...if we wear a $45 dress only a few times, it's more than worth it. And, it's fun to have something new for a cruise. I'm bringing 2 of my Macy's deals on our next cruise. And, I can wear the same shoes with both.

I am someone who "needs" something new for my cruises. I find some nice dresses at Ross for a great deal. I've also got some formal dresses at JCPenney for a good deal. I never pay full price as things almost always go on sale!

I just got a purple formal-ish dress at Ross for $17! I will have to post a picture of it this weekend.

went to my fave Consign store..she has a Plus room, Evening attire room, and reg sz room. I am in reg sizes now..yaay!..A NWT...my size..3piece. NAVY,,.CarWash trouser, Sheer unstructured jacket, and a beauty of a lacey tank/cami/shell. RM label.. $35..YOWZAAH !!!

I already have that same suit in Winter white..the 6 yr old one, It was on sale for $49 back then, from $149....worn the heck out of it, together and in separate pieces.

I already have a navy silky cami as a change up for summer. And a really sharp Jacket of clear shiney flat, heat set squares. for wintery wear. (also matching fullll broomy skirt for the jacket)..it just cries for Sapphires set in white gold !!!!!..or clustery Rhinestones..have some of each..and navy velvet bag..life, and shopping..is gooooood !

I absolutely LOVE Ross. I will stop at every one I see when I am out traveling since the nearest one to me is 150 miles away (1 way) I have found so many cute dresses there. When I came back from my road trip (almost 8000 miles) I came home with 27 new dresses and all but just 1 or 2 was from Ross.

My other go to shop is Cato...love their clothes also. I also like Fashion Bug (which is closing) Catherine's, JC Penneys and Sears.

I have bought a number of items at www.travelsmith.com - on the Sale & Clearance page (very affordable when it gets to the 60-70% off range). I like them all so much I wear them all to work regularly!

Like others who have responded, I don't buy anything that is for cruising only, except for a few fancy/sparkly tops for formal nights, which I wear with black dress pants or knee length skirts that are also work wear.

I don't buy clothes just for cruising either. Since I cruise in the fall and winter, my summer clothes have a newness on cruises anyway.

Kohl's is good for a lot of stuff. I love Dillard's for formalwear. Target, Old Navy, etc for casual sundresses.

I tend to shop sales, but I still won't buy something unless I love it.

Lately, my Go To stores for clothing that I LOVE is Cache and Athleta. You have to watch for sales because it isn't cheap. I like Cache for fun evening wear and more stylin' clothing and Athleta for more practical (pockets are a MUST!) day wear around the ship and excursions.

For me...the real bargain is finding something that lasts and can be worn again and again. Find a store that suits your style/needs/wants and get a few choice pieces that will serve you well multiple times over.

What is your favorite source for cruising clothes?

I don't mind shopping on-line, if the price is right and the return policy is simple. :p

I also live close to a large city, and can get to most stores.

My favorite sources for cruising clothes are the same places I buy my "real life" wardrobe. I'm a bargain loving fashionista, so definitely places like Daffy's, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and DSW are my go-to places. For basics, I like Old Navy(t-shirts, tank tops, jeans) and Target(tank tops, t-shirts), as well as outlet and local malls. I love vintage shopping and my local charity thrift shops, especially for good vintage costume jewelry and accessories. I also like online shopping, and ebay has been a good place for me. I agree with other posters; a good bargain isn't always the cheap price. I'd rather pay $150 for a dress I've worn 10 times(that's $15 per wear) than buy a $250 dress that was on sale for $50 and it's only worn once. Cost per wear and a well made garment can beat out a low price when bargain shopping.

I absolutely LOVE Ross. I will stop at every one I see when I am out traveling since the nearest one to me is 150 miles away (1 way) I have found so many cute dresses there. When I came back from my road trip (almost 8000 miles) I came home with 27 new dresses and all but just 1 or 2 was from Ross.

My other go to shop is Cato...love their clothes also. I also like Fashion Bug (which is closing) Catherine's, JC Penneys and Sears.

I would die if my Ross was that far from me! I think there are 3 just in my little suburb alone. I don't blame you for stocking up!!:D

Lately, my Go To stores for clothing that I LOVE is Cache and Athleta.

I love Athleta too! Have bought a few pieces on clearence to see if I would like the quality & I have worn those pieces like crazy. I am watching the clearence section for some more. The regular prices are more then I like to pay, and sure something will come along that is marked down.

Haven't heard of Cache before...I'll have to check it out. :)

I would die if my Ross was that far from me! I think there are 3 just in my little suburb alone. I don't blame you for stocking up!!:D

I know....North Little Rock just opened a new one about a month ago, but that is still 150 miles one way.....the other one is a suburb of Memphis...prob close to 175 miles one way. I ALWAYS stop at the one in Texarkana TX when I go see the grandkids and will now also stop in North Little Rock....problem is, the trip to TX is just about every 6 months....

Kohl's is my friend for casualwear - love their coupons. Ross/TJ Maxx are fun because I never know what I'm going to find. What I'm really ready for is Stein Mart's additional 50% off coupons to show up again! I've bought so many cute dresses from Stein Mart.

Our local Kohl's about 3 years ago took their plus size clothes and stuffed them in a small back corner that is inconvenient and way small. They major in ugly and I haven't bought anything from them in years. I see some nice things in Bath and some really cute clothes for women of smaller porportions but not for me:( . If this has changed let me know.

Our local Kohl's about 3 years ago took their plus size clothes and stuffed them in a small back corner that is inconvenient and way small. They major in ugly and I haven't bought anything from them in years. I see some nice things in Bath and some really cute clothes for women of smaller porportions but not for me:( . If this has changed let me know.

Our Kohl's has a nice women's section with options from Dana Buchman, Chaps, and then Sonoma and other Kohls-only brands. And the Sag Harbor & Cathy Daniels that I don't find attractive (baggy, elastic waist, wide leg capris, etc)

I think the Women's section is bigger than petites at the store I go to the most.....(and the next-closest store has a nice women's section too) Most of the junior brands do not have analogous women's sizes, except maybe daisy fuentes? But it's easy to check online if the brands you like are available in women's sizes.....

Archived