Hawaii info needed

sunshineRN48

Need some info from any other solo's who have went to Hawaii.

I will be flying in to Honolulu a few days prior to my cruise on POA, and then a few nights after on Oahu. I also would like to fly to one of the other islands to spend 3-4 nights just relaxing. I'm thinking of Maui or Kauai.

Which one would be best if I didn't want to rent a car?

I'm thinking of walking tours or taking guided tours while there. Not sure how safe it would be to be a female driving arond the islands alone.

Thanks!

Have not been to HA in many years but recall very pricey, ESPECIALLY inter island air. Do a search on Kayak, Bookingbuddy etc.Also Trip Advisor and public library(Frommers and Fodors good for the islands.) We cruised over on one way cruise, then stayed Waikakee several nights,This most economical,practical way. I remember taking THE BUS completely around the island.

Perhaps posting on the Hawaii forum will yield more answers? Though, I don't know why you would have any problem driving or traveling alone in Hawaii. Just use the caution you would use any place else.

You actually have some answers in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34771433#post34771433

Car rentals are not tremendously expensive in Hawaii, and I would prefer to have a car.

I've been to Hawaii four times and you definitely need a car to see anything, especially on islands other than Oahu. I've driven both Maui and Kauai and never had a problem, unless my driving like a maniac in a Corvette convertible going up to the volcano is a problem or trying to drive fast on the road to Hana. My ex used to call me "lead foot". LOL

It's easy and preferable to drive a rental on the islands. You could stay at a nicer hotel and have the concierge arrange tours, but I much prefer to be on my own and see the sites on my own time and pace without having to wait on others.

I prefer Kauai as the pace is a bit slower and less commercial than Maui. The Big Island is also a good choice and is nowhere near as commercial as Maui and Oahu. Be prepared for traffic headaches on Oahu. I cannot believe how terrible the traffic has become in the beach/tourist areas. We usually stay at a beach hotel near to the Ala Moana Mall and use that as a center point. Most tour places do have hotel pick ups at the major hotels like the Hilton Hawaiian Village. They offer tours to the Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl Crater, and Polynesian Cultural Center.

Archived