Istanbul Visa

Delilah21

We are travelling on Mariner from Athens to Istanbul on 6th October. We have just received an e mail from Regent via our TA that a visa is required before we are able to disembark in Turkey. Regent can arrange this at a cost of $49 per person. We did a similar cruise with Silversea in April of this year but in reverse order ie we flew into Istanbul and flew home from Athens. We paid a visa fee when we arrived at the airport of £10 per person. Is it more expensive to sail into Turkey than fly? Or are Regent making a bit of a profit here? How long has a visa been required? We sailed into Istanbul with Seabourn three years ago and no visa mentioned.

We cruised into Istanbul in 2001 (not with Regent) and a visa was required. The cruise line (Oriental) got it for us. I believe it was over $40.00. Turkey is one of the countries that require a visa. We are doing Asia cruise next Spring and visas are required for China and Vietnam. The one for Vietnam is over $200. Regent is getting both for us. I'll rather pay than going through hassle of getting visas on my own. I loved Turkey...have a great cruise.

Visa is still $20 if you buy at the airport, so yes, regent is making a profit for the convenience of them getting it for you. When I fly into Istanbul, I get my own at the airport, but when we sailed in, I just let regent take care of it and paid the surcharge.

We flew home from Istanbul at the end of our cruise on Mariner back in June. We let Regent sort our Visas - cost as you say $49 each, but was worth it as it meant they were all sorted when we collected our passports on the last day.

Have a wonderful time.

Checking the Turk official website...cruise pax in port for the day do not need a visa sticker. Airline arrivals and overnight stays do require the $20 Visa, available for purchase at your point of arrival.

Thank you that is very helpful.

We flew home from Istanbul at the end of our cruise on Mariner back in June. We let Regent sort our Visas - cost as you say $49 each, but was worth it as it meant they were all sorted when we collected our passports on the last day.

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you we will do our best! How was your trip in June? We will, of course, let Regent sort out the visa but their admin charge just bugs me slightly!

Anyone know how to get the visa for Turkey if Kusadasi is your first port in Turkey? We wouldn't mind saving the $49 each fee Regent charges to handle that for us. We plan to stay a couple of days in Istanbul after the cruise so we assume we would need the visa.

There apparently is a visa office at the port at kusadasi, but I have no idea of their hours, etc. I do know from previous posts that regent cruisers have gotten their visas there though. And yes, if you are going to stay post cruise, even for a day, you have to have a visa.

Kusadasi Visa Office was not open when Mariner docked there for our April cruise. Why risk having a problem with either Regent on embarkation or Turkey.i could understand saving a buck (or $49) if we were talking about a Russian Visa which is really $$$.... For piece of mind letting Regent fill out the paperwork, which they charge $19 for the time and effort ($20 visa + $19 paperwork processing) is pretty darn reasonable.

IMHO ok now I have said it :) enjoy your cruise!

For the $29 plus $20 visa fee for Turkey, I think we will let Regent handle it. Wouldn't want any problems & Regents' fee is nothing compared to the cruise fare we will pay, of course. Was just curious if there was an easy procedure in Kusadasi. Thanks for all the replies.

Archived